Why changed at twonkymedia server 5.0 to xml based trees?

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
Groovy
AV Hardware:Server: QNAP TS-219
Client: NP2500
Why changed at twonkymedia server 5.0 to xml based trees?

Post by Groovy » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:05 pm

Hi folks

I can't understand the tactic or strategie using XML based user trees! In version 4.x everything worked fine and was manageable for not technicians. For me (I studied electronics and computer science) it is not acceptable to have to write some XML-files to get my prefered tree. I will be able to do this, but I don't like to do it!
But must of the people out there will not be able to do that! Some of them have a NAS where they have to login with telnet to change the XML-files. I don't think that they can not handle this.

I have to say that the twonkymedia server is great! I have a QNAP NAS and I'm really happy. I can now update to the new software version but I'm not sure to do this, because of the new twonky media server!

I like to listen to music and see videos and don't want to write XML files!!!!!
User-friendliness is important.

Looking forward to get a answer from the responsibles.

best regards

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Re: Why changed at twonkymedia server 5.0 to xml based trees?

Post by Twonky_Rick » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:19 pm

We hear you loud and clear and are working on a possible solution to this issue. We've made some progress already and hope to continue after TMS 6.0 is released early April.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

Groovy
AV Hardware:Server: QNAP TS-219
Client: NP2500

Post by Groovy » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:54 am

Great, I hope Qnap will do an update with this version.

Taffin
AV Hardware:PS3
Onkyo 1007
Mini Mac
PSP

Post by Taffin » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:27 pm

I was using twonky on XP and made my own trees.

Now just installed a mini mac and cannot find location of the xml trees, anyone know where to find them?

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:39 pm

Sure. The path to the view files on the Mac is:

/Applications/TwonkyMediaServer.app/MediaServer/resources/views

Thanks to Burkhard for providing this answer

- Rick