Tanscoding MP3 box grayed out (on WHS v.1 install)

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
1BigGuy
AV Hardware:Windows Home Server PP3
Tanscoding MP3 box grayed out (on WHS v.1 install)

Post by 1BigGuy » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:30 pm

Cross posted from http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 68&e=39868

I am running Twonky Server v. 6.0.37 on WHS v.1. All the transcoding options are checked except MP3, which is greyed out. (At one time, I was able to check the box. I did not notice when the box became grayed out.) I have been unable to find a resolution to the grayed out MP3 check box for transcoding all music to MP3. I installed newer builds of LAME and of FFMPEG. Neither cured the problem. I verified the FFMPEG.location file was correct, reviewd the desc files (none seemed to apply except any2mp3.desc), placed duplicate copies of LAME and FFMPEG in the twonkymedia folder on the server. Nothing seems to correct the problem.

Any suggestions or thoughts?
Thank you -

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Re: Tanscoding MP3 box grayed out (on WHS v.1 install)

Post by Twonky_Rick » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:33 pm

Are you sure FFmpeg is fully supported on WHS?

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

1BigGuy

Post by 1BigGuy » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:54 pm

WHS is based on Windows XP and Server 2003. I have not had compatibility issues in the past.

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:00 am

Some install suggesions here: http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 714#p22749

Make sure FFmpeg is installed in the root of the C: directory or you edit the cgi-bin subfolder. Directions above.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

1BigGuy

Post by 1BigGuy » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:07 am

I had been assuming that the exisitng any-mp3.desc file was valid and handling conversion of any audio to MP3. It contained the following:
# transcode audio (mp4, wav, wma to mp3)
#(c) 2008 by PacketVideo
exec: any2mp3 $infile $outfile -br 128000 -sps 44100
# capabilities
from=audio/all
to=audio/mpeg
asynchronous
priority=idle

I finally realized it must be the problem. At this point, I do not recall where that file came from.

I copied vlc-wma-mp3.desc from a web post. It contained the following:
exec: vlc $infile --novideo :sout=#transcode{acodec=mp3}:duplicate{dst=std{access=file,mux=ffmpeg,dst=$outfile}} vlc:quit
from=audio/x-ms-wma
to=audio/mpeg
asynchronous

I can now at least check the box for audio conversion to MP3. Though the desc file I copied does not transcode all the file formats that the original any-mp3 was supposted to handle.

I need to revise this file to encompass all the audio formats. Could someone please share their DESC files for transcoding audio formats to MP3 with me?

Thank you.