nslu2 configuration?

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
garpinc
nslu2 configuration?

Post by garpinc » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:58 pm

On unslung 6.8:

I've been running successfully on 4.4.2 for years but I decided to upgrade since I
was having an issue with international characters in playlists not showing up.

I first tried version 6.0.34 and while scanning it got progressively slower until at
~ 12000 songs it was a snails pace.

I then tried 6.0.23 which was documented as working here
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Applica ... onkyVision

It only made it to ~5000 before becoming snails pace so there is definitely some
improvement in the 6.0.34 version but after 24 hours it's still scanning my some
16000 files..

Also while at snails pace the DSM-320 appears to time out while trying to access it.

I sent an email to technical support but they say they only provide support for NAS through forum so I'm posting here.

Any help would be appreciated.

parnott
AV Hardware:Twonky, WDTV Live, XBMC (Linux & Windows)

Re: nslu2 configuration?

Post by parnott » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:18 pm

I did run NSLU2 devices in the past but unfortunately I have retired them to less strenuous duties.

However, from the description of what you are observing I would speculate several possiblities-
1. Real memory is being completely consumed by the scan (the NLSU2 does not have that much) and starting virutal memory thrashing.
2. The attached disk drive is near full and access is becoming very inefficient.

Some things you may want to try to identify where the problem is-
1. Turn on logging in Twonky and see if you can identify any pattern in the messages around the time everything starts slowing down.
2. Log into your NSLU2 and monitor memory usage (e.g. with top), also use df to see what is happening with disk space.

garpinc

Post by garpinc » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:04 pm

It's for sure it's a memory issue.. I have plenty of space on hard drive.

Swap is at 55mb and memory at 25mb.. before twonky started memory was at 15mb.

Is there any config which will make memory utilization more efficient as it was in previous version 4.4.2

parnott
AV Hardware:Twonky, WDTV Live, XBMC (Linux & Windows)

Post by parnott » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:40 pm

I don't know of any configuration parameter that could help you. The 6.x versions just consume more memory resources than 4.x versions because they do a lot more thourough file scanning, etc. I just don't think the NLSU2 has enough real memory to support the newer versions.

However, you could try experimenting with the stack_size (I would be very cautious there) and maxscantimeperfile parameters.

You could also try the 4.4.18 version which is still available here- http://www.twonkyforum.com/unsupported/4.4.18/