Pre-Purchase Question

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
Coastie
AV Hardware:Win7
WDTV
Pre-Purchase Question

Post by Coastie » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:13 pm

I installed TwonkyServer on my PC as a Trial, it has since expired.
I like the product and planned to use it in the future when I replace my Buffalo Terastation NAS with with a homebuilt mid 2012 which will run Windows. In the mean time, I figured I'd try installing TwonkyServer ARM on the Terastation. After futzing with the installer for about 90 minutes (The problem was that wget was not on the Terastation) I finally got it installed, and so far (only been 30 minutes or so) it is working well.

If I purchase TwonkyServer, will I be able to use that serial on the Windows NAS when I upgrade to it? Will I also be able to use the same for TwonkyMedia, as I'd like to be able to control the NAS from my PC.

Currently I play from the NAS to (2) WDTV Live + boxes in different rooms.

Lastly, when using a wireless PC to play from the NAS to the WDTV, (those 2 are wired) will it also flow through the wireless PC?

DaemonBeetle
AV Hardware:Plex Media Server, Samsung Smart TV (2009 and 2013)

Re: Pre-Purchase Question

Post by DaemonBeetle » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:24 am

As far as I know you need a separate license for TwonkyManager than TwonkyServer, though you can control it using the web interface without TwonkyServer. I'm not sure about Server licenses, though I seem to recall that somebody posted that you could move the license between devices - worth searching the forum if nobody else knows for sure.

You can stream across wireless, though you won't get a stable speed. What you can stream will depend on the technology you're using, what interference you have and the minimum bandwidth you have. For instance, you are highly unlikely to be able to stream HD across 802.11g (which averages 22 Mb/s), and single stream 802.11n is only very slightly faster. Multi-stream 802.11n can achieve higher speeds, but may not.
No longer running Twonky

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:53 pm

For the past few years we've only been selling a single type of key which can be used with any version of TwonkyServer or TwonkyManager. So it doesn't really matter which one you buy. A single key can be used on two different devices at once.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

DaemonBeetle

Post by DaemonBeetle » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:36 pm

That's good to know - any chance the product pages could be updated to reflect that, since it isn't documented anywhere I can see.
No longer running Twonky

Coastie
AV Hardware:Win7
WDTV

Post by Coastie » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:39 pm

great, thank you.

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:21 pm

DaemonBeetle wrote:That's good to know - any chance the product pages could be updated to reflect that, since it isn't documented anywhere I can see.
Sure. Are you referring to pages here or on Twonky.com?

- Rick

DaemonBeetle

Post by DaemonBeetle » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:36 pm

TMM_Product_Manager wrote: Sure. Are you referring to pages here or on Twonky.com?
- Rick
Both ;)

It would be particularly useful if t was on the product pages on Twonky.com, since that's where it'll be apparent to people just what they're getting for their money. It wasn't at all apparent to me that I could have used my Twonky Server key to run Twonky Manager on my laptop (for instance).
No longer running Twonky

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:43 pm

I'll pass this feedback on to our marketing group. I don't have any control over those pages.

- Rick