Subtitles won't display on shared file

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
Zabuzaxsta
AV Hardware:2.8 GhZ i7 iMac (30" display)
Logitech Revue
40" Google TV
TwonkyServer
TVMobili
Subtitles won't display on shared file

Post by Zabuzaxsta » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:44 pm

I'm somewhat new to the whole subtitles thing on movie files, but I understand some of the basics. That being said, I don't understand why the subtitles on my .mkv files won't display when shared across TwonkyServer. I even tried converting the .mkv into a .mov using quicktime (and when played in quicktime, the subtitles are there), but when I add the .mov to iTunes the subtitles are stripped. TwonkyServer seems to be doing the same thing - stripping the subtitles. I'm pretty sure the subtitles are not external (that would mean there would be a separate subtitle file, right? there is no such file - just the .mkv). Does anybody have any advice? I just want to watch my Japanese anime with subtitles on something besides my iMac.

I haven't investigated what format the subtitles are, I don't even own handbrake (which maybe I should get so I can convert subtitle formats?). It seemed to me that quicktime pro would be enough for this, but I guess it's not. Thanks for the help!

parnott
AV Hardware:Twonky, WDTV Live, XBMC (Linux & Windows)

Re: Subtitles won't display on shared file

Post by parnott » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:12 pm

If the subtitles are embedded in your MKV files then you need to see if your media player supports embedded subtitles when playing from a DLNA server (aka TwonkyServer). Some media players will play embedded subtitles, some media players don't.

TwonkyServer (by default) just streams the file as it is, it is up to the media player to interpret and render the file (i.e. the Video, Audio and Subtitle tracks).

Zabuzaxsta
Logitech Revue
40" Google TV
TwonkyServer
TVMobili

Post by Zabuzaxsta » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:25 pm

I'm fairly certain that the Logitech Revue and Sony Google TV support subtitles. I suppose these files just might not be the right format.

Could someone explain to me how to either (a) convert the subtitles to play on one of these two devices or how to (b) convert the .mkv to a file where iTunes will display the subtitles. I just need a way that doesn't involve a 5-hour conversion through quicktime, which I'm not even sure will work. I understand this is not an issue with Twonky, but I have no idea about getting these subtitles to display in the iTunes player, the Logitech Revue Media Player, or the Sony Google TV Media Player.

Zabuzaxsta
Logitech Revue
40" Google TV
TwonkyServer
TVMobili

Post by Zabuzaxsta » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:11 am

Nevermind, peeps...just downloaded Handbrake and messed around a bit with the "Subtitles" tab. I have no idea what "Forced Only," 'Burned In," "Default," "Foreign Audio Search - (Bitmap)," or "0 - Unknown - (Text) (SSA)" mean, but when I screw with all of them, I get a file m4v file with subtitles. Huzzah!

DaemonBeetle
AV Hardware:Plex Media Server, Samsung Smart TV (2009 and 2013)

Post by DaemonBeetle » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:28 am

Handbrake has some good documentation on how it works.

Forced Only means that it only includes titles flagged as Forced (that that would be displayed by default - usually these will be for short sections of foreign languages).

Burned In are permanently on the image, you can't remove them.

Default is, well, the default subtitle track when there is more than one.

Foreign Audio Search is for subtitles that are used for short sections of foreign languages.
No longer running Twonky