How do I setup local Shoutcast (LAN-only, no Internet)

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
IrenePappel
AV Hardware:Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7390
Onkyo TX-NR509
Terratec Noxon iRadio
How do I setup local Shoutcast (LAN-only, no Internet)

Post by IrenePappel » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:06 pm

I have a PC in my home office running the latest TwonkyServer 6.0.37 and TwonkyManager 2.0.8.
Then I have an Onkyo TX-NR509 AV-receiver in my living room and a Terratec Noxon iRadio in my kitchen.
For a party with guests in my house I'd like to play my local MP3 directory on my PC and have the SAME music (hopefully lip sync) in my home office (the PC with TwonkyServer), in my kitchen from the Noxon iRadio and in the living room from my Onkyo receiver.
So how can I configure my TwonkyServer to stream a kind of local Shoutcast radio station from my PC with e.g. http://192.168.1.2/partystream ? Every streaming client in the house shall be able to play it, (theoretically even SmartPhones of my guests).

parnott
AV Hardware:Twonky, WDTV Live, XBMC (Linux & Windows)

Re: How do I setup local Shoutcast (LAN-only, no Internet)

Post by parnott » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:29 am

If you are asking about synchronous playback on multiple devices, then no it cannot be done. The DLNA protocols and technology do not currently support this use case.

IrenePappel
Onkyo TX-NR509
Terratec Noxon iRadio

Post by IrenePappel » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:54 pm

Ok, then forget that I wrote "lip-sync". As a first step, as I have written in the subject, I am looking for:

"How do I setup local Shoutcast (LAN-only, no Internet)"?

It is obvious that each DLNA client has its own "buffer behaviour" and as a result, each client starts milliseconds or even seconds earlier or later with playing a Shoutcast stream.

So how can I do that with Twonky Server or Twonky Manager?

DaemonBeetle
AV Hardware:Plex Media Server, Samsung Smart TV (2009 and 2013)

Post by DaemonBeetle » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:33 pm

You can't to it automatically. You could try to do it manually, but you'll inevitably be out of sync. If you want to have multiple audio streams in sync then you need to use protocols and devices designed for that.
No longer running Twonky

cykelsmeden
AV Hardware:WD-NAS & W7 as TWONKYserver
sony 40w5500 as primary client
Philips MCI500 as secondary client
Medion Internetradio - not working DLNA yet ;(

Post by cykelsmeden » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:48 pm

IrenePappel wrote:... I'd like to play my local MP3 directory on my PC and have the SAME music (hopefully lip sync) in my home office (the PC with TwonkyServer), in my kitchen from the Noxon iRadio and in the living room from my Onkyo receiver.
So how can I configure my TwonkyServer to stream a kind of local Shoutcast radio station from my PC with e.g. http://192.168.1.2/partystream ? Every streaming client in the house shall be able to play it, (theoretically even SmartPhones of my guests).
I would expect this to be [next to] impossible, as many factors are involved in the timing, even if the serverpart broadcast udp.
Rendering time and algorithms, cpu type and speed, being some hard factors.

//finn

DaemonBeetle
AV Hardware:Plex Media Server, Samsung Smart TV (2009 and 2013)

Post by DaemonBeetle » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:59 pm

cykelsmeden wrote: I would expect this to be [next to] impossible, as many factors are involved in the timing, even if the serverpart broadcast udp.
Rendering time and algorithms, cpu type and speed, being some hard factors.

//finn
I know some audio streaming devices that, to all intents and purposes, manage this. They have client hardware or software designed with this in mind however. Also, if you're simply doing a Shoutcast style broadcast then clients will be in effective sync, even though some of them may be slightly delayed compared to others.
No longer running Twonky

IrenePappel
Onkyo TX-NR509
Terratec Noxon iRadio

Post by IrenePappel » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:15 pm

Yes I know that I won't be perfectly in sync. I knew that before and I still know it now after all your replies :wink: .

Again my simple main question :) :

How do I setup a local Shoutcast broadcast in my LAN (no Internet) using Twonky Server or Twonky Manager?
A radio station with an URL like http://192.168.1.2/my_private_in-house_radio_stream

parnott
AV Hardware:Twonky, WDTV Live, XBMC (Linux & Windows)

Post by parnott » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:24 pm

You can't. Twonky was not designed to do that.

Twonky is a DLNA media server and as such was designed to stream media files when a media player requests a specific media file or playlist to be played. It does not function like a Shoutcast server where you 'tune in' to a media stream.

IrenePappel
Onkyo TX-NR509
Terratec Noxon iRadio

Post by IrenePappel » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:17 pm

Parnott, ok I see. What a pity. Of course I know the normal use case of Twonky (as you have just described). Nevertheless, I thought that there is a ShoutCast Server included with the latest release of Twonky. If it is not a fully fledged ShoutCast Server then I'd like to know whether there are any plans for future releases to implement one (ShoutCast, IceCast,..).

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:30 pm

There are no plans that I'm aware of for Twonky to integrate a SHOUTcast server.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/