Performance Issue

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
furynick
AV Hardware:Twonky server on Linux Debian Squeeze
Samsung BD-D8200
Performance Issue

Post by furynick » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:35 pm

Hello,

I downloaded latest version of Twonky (6.0.38) and give it a try before buy it.

I'm facing a performance issue of twonky server towards my device (well, not a real problem but a little annoying).
First of all, here is my situation :

I have a Linux Debian Squeeze server running on a Xeon X3330 with 8GB RAM. This server is intended to serve multimedia content (and other services) stored on hardware RAID5 array composed of 4 1GB SATA hard drives, OS is installed on hardware RAID1 SSD. Current load of the server is less than 0.5 during following tests.
This content (3278 video files) is also available by a samba share.

My device is a Samsung BD-D8200 using the AllShare feature.
Before testing Twonky I installed Samsung AllShare Server on another server (Windows XP / E6850 / 2GB RAM) accessing video content thru samba share.
All these equipments are connected on Gigagit Ethernet LAN (wired).

After some navigation within directory view of contents, I found the response time of Twonky Server took longer time than AllShare Server. So I made a little test, from the same start point (root directory of video content) I measured the time needed to access another directory (Manga/Fight/Naruto/Shipuuden in this example).
With AllShare Server I took 11s to load the content of this directory (with thumbnails).
With Twonky Server I took 31s to load the content of the same directory (without thumbnails).

It seems Twonky have some trouble managing directory with a lot of files (434 files in that case).

Is it a known problem ?
Is there any tweak to speed up response time ?

Many thanks for your responses.

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Re: Performance Issue

Post by Twonky_Rick » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:43 pm

This isn't a known issue and there are no performance tweaks which I'm aware of. I'll pass this info. on to our engineers.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

furynick
Samsung BD-D8200

Post by furynick » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:48 pm

Thanks for your answer, don't hesitate to contact me if needed (make some tests, get log files or whatever).

Moreover, I noticed the mediafusion-int child stay zombie (perhaps SIGCHLD signal is not properly handled by twonkymediaserver process).

At last, I cannot show thumbnails on my device but I'll try to find the solution by myself ;)

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:22 pm

We tried hard, but cannot reproduce the problem. Here is what our testers report:

Bottom line: Twonky is significantly faster in responding than Allshare (14s vs. 51s). Not sure about customer’s setting and/or network.

******************************************************************************************

TS: 6.0.39-RC1
All Share: Downloaded from Samsung website (2011/12/14)

Media shared on both TS and All Share:

Music: 25606, Photo: 9873, Video: 6100

Time to browse desired folder:
TS - 15 seconds
All share - 51 seconds

All Share takes a longer time to show the video contents because it displays all videos at once regardless of folder depth.

Example:
In TS:
videoFolder
|---videofolder1
| |---videofolder1A
| |---videofolder1B
|
|---videofolder2
| |---videofolder2A
| |---videofolder2B
|
|---videofolder2

In All share:
videofolder1, videofolder1A, videofolder1B, videofolder2, videofolder2A, videofolder2B
******************************************************************************************

I'll ask them if a log might help.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

furynick
Samsung BD-D8200

Post by furynick » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:30 am

I just uploaded a video on YouTube so you have exact steps to reproduce this problem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLlPa238Lcc

I measure 28s to access a directory and come back to the initial menu with AllShare server.
With Twonky the same way take 75s

On the video you can hear the IR remote ticks and the several "loading" messages "Chargement en cours" in French.