Maximum length for filename / path

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
lazarusr
AV Hardware:Naim UnitiQute. WHS with Twonky Manager
Maximum length for filename / path

Post by lazarusr » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:31 am

My ripping software has the habit of placing rips into files with very long paths / filenames. Unfortunately it appears that Twonky Server (I am running 6.0.37) cannot see files with particularly long filenames / paths. For example, I have this file:

D:\ServerFolders\Music\Ripped Music\dBpoweramp CD Ripper\Marc-André Hamelin; Andrew Litton; BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra\Shostakovich; Piano Concertos Nos. 1 & 2; Shchedrin; Piano Concerto No. 2\01 Marc-André Hamelin; Andrew Litton; BBC Scottish Symphony Orch.flac

This does not appear in Twonky Server. Shortening it to the following resolves the problem:

D:\ServerFolders\Music\Ripped Music\dBpoweramp CD Ripper\Marc-André Hamelin\Shostakovich; Piano Concertos Nos. 1 & 2; Shchedrin; Piano Concerto No. 2\01 Marc-André Hamelin; Andrew Litton; BBC Scottish Symphony Orch.flac

I need to work out some kind of system to go through my (fairly extensive) collection of ripped files to shorten the filenames / paths. To assist with this does anyone know the maximum filename and path lengths for Twonky Server?

Thanks

DaemonBeetle
AV Hardware:Plex Media Server, Samsung Smart TV (2009 and 2013)

Re: Maximum length for filename / path

Post by DaemonBeetle » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:57 pm

Windows itself has an upper limit of 260 characters for the entire path - that sample is 268 characters long.

Cutting out just "dBpoweramp CD Ripper" would help in many cases, though I'd suggest moving your music down to the "Music" folder, removing "Ripped Music\dBpoweramp CD Ripper" to save yourself about 34 characters. If you can have a "D:\Music" folder that it all lives in then you'll save 48 characters.

You could also map a drive to "D:\ServerFolders\Music\Ripped Music\dBpoweramp CD Ripper" (see the "subst" command).
No longer running Twonky