Missing lines from playlists and ANSI - UTF-8 issues

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
redrick
Missing lines from playlists and ANSI - UTF-8 issues

Post by redrick » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:31 am

Hi,

I have used for years a twonky server on my Maxtor network drive. It is version 4.4. I have long had a problem I blamed on my D-link 320 but recently I got a WD-TV live and have the exact same problem so it must be the twonky.

A few pieces are often missing from a playlist, or sometimes the playlist name is distorted.

Sometimes the culprit is obviously a certain character- like a certain kind of bullet or a dash ("-") that is too long and dark. These are easy to find, fix, or avoid. But often the problem is frustratingly NOT obvious.

BTW my playlists are ANSI as I find even more missing pieces if I should try UTF-8.

For example, most of the time twonky will handle umlauts, like the the character "ü". But I have one playlist whose title is "Schütz" (a german composer) and twonky renders it "SchĀ%tz". A number of the files in the playlist do not show up and I cannot find any characters in the filenames that are not used in other filenames that do show up.

BTW the WD TV Live can play the same playlists as "Network Shares" instead of "Media Servers", bypassing twonky, and there the problem does not occur and all the pieces in the same playlists show up and play.

Is there any answer or fix for this? I can change the file and playlist names to things very vanilla- no French or German accent marks or umlauts, no commas or parentheses, but with the number of playlists I now work with that is becoming just too burdensome. I know my version is old but can anyone tell me if this is fixed for sure in a later version?

I am planning on buying a new network drive that comes with twonky but unless I can be sure there is a way to deal with this I will have to try some other product than twonky, which I am loath to do as I generally like twonky.

Is there anything I can do? Some way to filter playlists for a particular character set or something? Most playlist generating programs and Windows use ANSI though I can mass-convert files to UTF-8.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

-Rick