Items under "Genre" showing up in strange sort order

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
w8rn8r
Items under "Genre" showing up in strange sort order

Post by w8rn8r » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:57 pm

In order to not have too many entries under "genre", I'd long ago decided to use values such as "Jazz, Swing" along with the base values ("Jazz", in this case). Under Twonky v4, these were treated as atomic, while v6 seems to consider them as a comma separated list, resulting in the respective titles showing up under both "Jazz" and "Swing". That is clearly a feature, in my opinion. What surprises me is, the items after the commas are listed before those from the "first half". So, I actually see two sub-lists with alphabetic sort order; that's a bit confusing.

I don't quite understand the view definitions in the XML files yet, but using the additional "sortcriteria" entry didn't seem to make a difference:

Code: Select all

<container buildon='upnp:genre' 
sortcritera='+upnp:genre'
class='object.container.genre.musicGenre' createClass='object.item.audioItem.musicTrack' />
</container>
I was hoping it would give alphabetic sort order.
Any suggestions for how to get to that ?

A couple related questions:

Does a server restart include a database rebuild ?

If I create an additional view named "Test", should it show up in the drop down lists for assigning views to client devices ? (and where is the "speaking name" defined ?)

How's the translation done from e.g. "music/playlists" to "Wiedergabelisten" (german) ? Would I be able to change the terms used ?

phibertron
AV Hardware:Hardware
========
WHS - HP Ex495
PS3
XBOX 360
iTouch - Gen 2 and Gen 3
PSP - 3000

Encoders
========
Handbrake
x264
ffmpeg
mencoder

Tagging
======
mp3tag

Re: Items under "Genre" showing up in strange sort order

Post by phibertron » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:31 pm

w8rn8r wrote: In order to not have too many entries under "genre", I'd long ago decided to use values such as "Jazz, Swing" along with the base values ("Jazz", in this case). Under Twonky v4, these were treated as atomic, while v6 seems to consider them as a comma separated list, resulting in the respective titles showing up under both "Jazz" and "Swing". That is clearly a feature, in my opinion. What surprises me is, the items after the commas are listed before those from the "first half". So, I actually see two sub-lists with alphabetic sort order; that's a bit confusing
I know that the "," delimited feature was added back 5.x
The result of titles being in both genre in my opinion is expected behavior
if you have a genre tag of "Jazz,Swing" it should be in both genre's

Not sure I understand your you "first half" statement?
w8rn8r wrote: I was hoping it would give alphabetic sort order.
Any suggestions for how to get to that ?
I havent ever tried to use the sort on genre's
though I have on others, and can tell you it currently is not possible on By Year
But the expected behavior of an unmodified tree, is it shoukld return the list starting with numberd items lowest to highest
and then alpha sorted a-z items

do you have an example of it not doing that?
w8rn8r wrote: Does a server restart include a database rebuild ?
A server restart does a reindex, not a rebuild
but from an end user point of view, they result is the same, long time to wait...
w8rn8r wrote: If I create an additional view named "Test", should it show up in the drop down lists for assigning views to client devices ? (and where is the "speaking name" defined ?)
If added correctly, an custom view should appear under the "Media Recievers" tab
as one of the possible views to choose from for a client

what is the "speaking name" you are refering to?
w8rn8r wrote: How's the translation done from e.g. "music/playlists" to "Wiedergabelisten" (german) ? Would I be able to change the terms used ?
I think you are asking how to change the language of the server/clients?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10627
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9353
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9408
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9416
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9424
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9364
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9497

w8rn8r

Post by w8rn8r » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:54 pm

Thanks very much for your inputs, phibertron.
phibertron wrote: I know that the "," delimited feature was added back 5.x
The result of titles being in both genre in my opinion is expected behavior
if you have a genre tag of "Jazz,Swing" it should be in both genre's
Yes, that's what I thought as well; I just noticed the behavior has changed vs. v4 - which I had been using until just recently.
phibertron wrote: Not sure I understand your you "first half" statement?
"Jazz, Swing" - first half being "Jazz", second "Swing" - though see below.
phibertron wrote: I havent ever tried to use the sort on genre's though I have on others, and can tell you it currently is not possible on By Year. But the expected behavior of an unmodified tree, is it shoukld return the list starting with numberd items lowest to highest and then alpha sorted a-z items

do you have an example of it not doing that?
Hmm ... what you're writing makes me think that what I am seeing might be the result of me using "Jazz, Swing" rather than "Jazz,Swing" - so I might actually see that "2nd half" ("Swing") starting with a blank (" Swing"). And indeed, looking at that list of genres as presented by Internet Explorer, that seems to be it ... I'll try to insert an image in my next post if still needed (haven't found an easy enough way to do that yet).

Does that sounds like ... let's call it a missing feature ?
(I can of course adjust all of these entries manually ... but ... that bit of string trimming would seem appropriate to me ...)
phibertron wrote: If added correctly, an custom view should appear under the "Media Recievers" tab
as one of the possible views to choose from for a client
Ok, thanks for confirming; in that case, I'm simply not successful yet in defining an additional view.
phibertron wrote: what is the "speaking name" you are refering to?
The view definitions use "fixed ID strings" such as music/playlists.
How's that translated to what's presented on the client side ?
phibertron wrote:
w8rn8r wrote: How's the translation done from e.g. "music/playlists" to "Wiedergabelisten" (german) ? Would I be able to change the terms used ?
I think you are asking how to change the language of the server/clients?
No - rather, I'm wondering if I'd be able to have it use a different term in place of "Wiedergabelisten" ?
(... I was thinking that might help with the sorting ...)

phibertron
AV Hardware:Hardware
========
WHS - HP Ex495
PS3
XBOX 360
iTouch - Gen 2 and Gen 3
PSP - 3000

Encoders
========
Handbrake
x264
ffmpeg
mencoder

Tagging
======
mp3tag

Post by phibertron » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:54 pm

w8rn8r wrote: Hmm ... what you're writing makes me think that what I am seeing might be the result of me using "Jazz, Swing" rather than "Jazz,Swing" - so I might actually see that "2nd half" ("Swing") starting with a blank (" Swing"). And indeed, looking at that list of genres as presented by Internet Explorer, that seems to be it ... I'll try to insert an image in my next post if still needed (haven't found an easy enough way to do that yet).

Does that sounds like ... let's call it a missing feature ?
(I can of course adjust all of these entries manually ... but ... that bit of string trimming would seem appropriate to me ...)
If I was a bettingman I'd say that was it ($1000 on Red)
I know this, because I went down that path a ways back
If there are leading or trailing spaces on a tag, the spaces are not trimmmed
This is a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your expectations/needs

I actually used this feature to my advantage at one point in time

For ex:
at one point in time the genre "Comedy" was note being interpretted coorrectly by twonky
So what I did was to add a trailing space to the genere name "Comedy_"
Doing so, twonky didnt see the id tag for Comedy it saw my custom id tag of "Comedy_"
If had put it at the beginning, "_Comedy" would be the first genre returned in By Genre
as "Space" comes before "A"

Oh Yeah, to fix your display problem
You going to have to edit all the tags on your media =)
w8rn8r wrote: The view definitions use "fixed ID strings" such as music/playlists.
How's that translated to what's presented on the client side ?
Ahh, I see
Here is a list of fixed ID strings which are hard coded and reserved by twonky
Some are used with name='playlists'
Some are used with id='music/playlists'
The reason for the fiexed ID strings, is probably related to allow for language selection in twonky
so that they can make sure that those strings are in the appropriate selected language
But we can change the name='playlists' to use what ever one wants
For example:
<container name='playlists' id='music/playlists'
could be
<container name='My List of Playlists' id='music/playlists'
which would show "'My List of Playlists" instead of whatever 'playlists' is referenced to by language
Make sense?
music
music/all
music/playlists
music/genre
music/artists
music/albums
music/folders
music/rating
music/albumartists
music/composers
music/artistindex
music/genreindex
music/artistalbum
music/genreartistalbum
picture
picture/all
picture/playlists
picture/folders
picture/date
picture/albums
picture/keywords
picture/rating
video
video/all
video/playlists
video/genre
video/folders
video/rating
So in a nutshell
If the configured language in twonky is German

<container name='playlists' id='music/playlists' = "Wiedergabelisten"

and

<container name='My List of Playlists' id='music/playlists' = "'My List of Playlists"
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10627
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9353
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9408
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9416
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9424
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9364
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9497

w8rn8r

Post by w8rn8r » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:42 pm

Thanks again, phibertron.

And, ok, your $1000 bet on Red is clearly a winning one. I've since adjusted the 'genre' values (using mp3tag) and that " secondary genre" issue is gone now; it's now "secondary genre", just as it should.

I take your point about the translation to be about how to simply bypass the fixed ID strings and will try that out over the coming weekend. From what you explained, it should help with what I had in mind.

(and I'll have a few other questions, I'm sure :))