So many problems....

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
SShadow
AV Hardware:Samsung LN40D550K1FXZC TV
WD My Book Live 2TB updated with Twonky 7.0.5
Win7 Twonky 7.0.7 server
Samsung Galaxy Nexus Smart Phone
Apple iPad 1st gen
So many problems....

Post by SShadow » Wed May 09, 2012 2:54 am

Ok, my stuff:
Samsung LN40D550K1FXZC TV
WD My Book Live 2TB updated with Twonky 7.0.5
Win7 Twonky 7.0.7 server
Gigabit Wireless router
Linkysys WRT54GL router with DD-WRT installed on it to make it a wireless repeater

So I, at one point (after several days of scratching my head and many sessions of forum reading), was quite happily working along with this setup. The TV is not wireless, so I have it plugged into the Linksys to connect to the wireless gigabit router (running a cable is not possible). After updating the MBL to 7.0.5 I was able to connect and stream content from the MBL without issue.
Then a couple days ago I tried to stream a TV show, and the Samsung TV would come up with "Device Disconnected" after 5 to 10 seconds of being connected to Twonky. I didn't even need to be streaming, just browsing the folders would do it.
So after messing around with rebooting, rebuilding, moving the MBL to the Linksys to remove the wireless from the formula, the only way I am able to stream video to the Samsung TV is by turning on aggregation and installing Twonky on my Windows7 PC and connecting to the Windows Twonky from the Samsung TV.
I am ... sort of ... ok with this since it works now... But... I really want to be able to stream directly from the MBL again... Does anyone here have any suggestions? What gets my goat is it was working and there's been no change to setup or firmware in between when it worked and when it didn't.

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Re: So many problems....

Post by Twonky_Rick » Wed May 09, 2012 6:37 pm

Sorry to hear that you're having problems.

Whenever possible I try to avoid wireless for multimedia streaming because it's not unusual to "drop" a connection. If wired isn't an option, you may want to consider Homeplug or MOCA.

More info here: http://mostly-tech.com/2011/12/01/conne ... practices/

I'll forward this to our developers so they are aware of this just in case there is a bug on our side.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

Fussel
AV Hardware:Windows 7 PC
WD Mybook Live
Samsung LE32C650 TV
Samsung BD-C5900 Blueray Player

Post by Fussel » Tue May 15, 2012 8:23 am

Hi SShadow, Hi Rick,

it could be possible that you have two instances of Twonky running on your MBL. That could cause the disconnects. Some people at the mybookworld forums trying to figure out what's wrong there. If you can, please SSH to the MBL and type ps -e to see if you have two Twonkys running.

Best regards,
Fussel

@Rick: I posted this exact problem (disconnects) on Facebook a few days ago. Meanwhile we found out about the multiple instances running on the MBL. So I think you guys can ignore my post there- Thanks.

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Thu May 17, 2012 10:12 pm

Good suggestion. Thanks for posting here.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/