ok, obviously I'm blond, because I don't...

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
elsiebuck
AV Hardware:D-Link 323
Sony Media Player 100
ok, obviously I'm blond, because I don't...

Post by elsiebuck » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:36 pm

ok, obviously I'm blond, because I don't know how videos can have tags. My setup is as follows:
DNS-323
Sony smp-100

Because I have this lame setup, I seem to only be able to play avi extensions. However, abcAVI only puts tags into avi and divx containers. So, during experimenting, I tried several movies. Windows explorer shows Title and Genre just fine. Restarted Twonky, then started up the smp-100.

What I get is:
by Folders
.....(as expected)
by Genre
.....Unknown
.....[*]
Playlists
.....(as expected at this time - something I want to look into further)
Total Videos
.....(as expected)
Videos by Year
.....Shows years, but these years seem to be the years the videos were created - not tagged years.
.....But that's not entirely true either, because I found a program to "touch" another set of movies, thusly changeing creation, modification and access dates. And those files still don't showup in the years correctly.

So, someone please explain to me what is going on and any possible solutions.

And while I'm at it, is there any way to do Movie Index like the Music index? A-B-C, D-E-F etc

Still, fine product!
Aunt Elsie

phibertron
AV Hardware:Hardware
========
WHS - HP Ex495
PS3
XBOX 360
iTouch - Gen 2 and Gen 3
PSP - 3000

Encoders
========
Handbrake
x264
ffmpeg
mencoder

Tagging
======
mp3tag

Re: ok, obviously I'm blond, because I don't...

Post by phibertron » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:24 am

As to why abcAVI tagging metadata isnt being shown, not sure exactly
I havent used avi files in ages, but will take a look at what twonky will or will not do with avi tags tomorrow
it might be possible to get it to work with ffmpeg, but it is mostly a command line tool
though there are some gui's for it
by Genre
.....Unknown
.....[*]
The [*] is shown when twonky doesnt like that file for some reason during scanning
Videos by Year
.....Shows years, but these years seem to be the years the videos were created - not tagged years.
.....But that's not entirely true either, because I found a program to "touch" another set of movies, thusly changeing creation, modification and access dates. And those files still don't showup in the years correctly.
Twonky likes to see the year as 2012-01-01 and not just 2012
i just add -01-01 to the end of the year when tagging
And while I'm at it, is there any way to do Movie Index like the Music index? A-B-C, D-E-F etc
There is a title container, that can used why its not included in any of the views is odd
If you add the following, to the advanced.view.xml it will show a title container

<link id='video/titleindex' />

What version of twonky server are you using?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10627
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9353
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9408
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9416
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9424
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9364
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9497

elsiebuck
Sony Media Player 100

Post by elsiebuck » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:25 am

Ok, I found... Twonky didn't use video embeded tags (unlike MP3s) as of version 6.0.38 instead used a database. Which I really dislike. It uses Twonky manager to do the database.

And as for the years, I used a program called "setfiledate" which I could "re" set the dates for creation, modification, and last access. Once I used that, all my videos show up correctly with the years selection.

So, I've answered my own problems. Now I am looking at the Playlist option. Can I just create a playlist manually and put it somewhere? I know Twonky Manager can create playlists, but I was unable to discover where it is stored. So since I was unable to find it's place of residence, I was unable to use it as a template to create more. Twonky Manager seems very clumsy.

In case you're interested, my smp-100 feeds an UHF modulator which combines with regular tv channels so any tv in the house can chose to watch smp-100 or regular tv. Makes it nice for the grand kids.

Thank you for your quick response and any other help you can extend.
Aunt Elsie

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:32 pm

We should scan WPL and M3U playlists if they are placed in your shared music folder.

For TwonkyServer 7.0 the paths to playlists are controlled by these INI settings

servermanagedmusicdir
servermanagedpicturedir
servermanagedvideodir

A typical place for music playlists for a non-service installation in Windows 7 is
C:\Users\<username>\Music\Twonky

With TwonkyManager 2.0 (and I think 3.0) they should be stored in the Twonky db folder or in the Application Data folder (C:\Documents and Settings\YourPC’sName\Application Data). Look for files like 0.wpl, 1.wpl.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

elsiebuck
Sony Media Player 100

Post by elsiebuck » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:49 pm

Twonky_Rick wrote:... For TwonkyServer 7.0 the paths...A typical place...Windows 7 ...
My setup is:
DNS-323
Sony smp-100 Player

So those paths don't apply to me. Where would they be on the DNS-323?

And I'm still using ver 6.0.38 I'm scared to upgrade to ver7. I don't want to break something that has been going strong for so long... 2) I don't know how since it's non-windows... 3) Would my license be good for the newer version...

Geeze, it took me this long to realize I did want to fix my navigational system.