Um..what am I missing here....Twonky does not work anymore..

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
Kyle_gates
AV Hardware:www.tgupdate.com for all my gear.
Um..what am I missing here....Twonky does not work anymore..

Post by Kyle_gates » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:41 am

First off let me say that I have been using Twonky for quite some time and for the most part it has always been great.

I recently had a minor audio track issue when streaming some media from my "server" PC and I thought that the issue may be resolved with some newer software (I haven't updated in over a year). So I uninstall Twonky completely and went about locating the latest version of Twonky Server. When I went to the download page, I was greeted with Twonky Special. Ok, new name, no problem. So I download it, install it and run it. So far the only thing Special here would be the need for this software to ride the short bus.

I will assume this is my fault for now.

From the PC that I run Twonky on, I use PS3's scattered about my home to "see" and play content. This has always worked GREAT in the past....I simply point Twonky to the folders/drives I want to show and the PS3 sees the drives, folders and media just fine. Movies, Music, Pictures all showed as did many many files types. It just worked. Now, first off it seems I am forced to navigate via a web browser instead of the old Twonky setup page. I could live with this I suppose (but damn it'd be nice to have the old setup software back) but the other issue is....now Twonky plain does not work.

After going to the "sharing" section, I list the Drives/Folders I want available (4 External drives in their entirety and 1 folder on a 5th drive) and virtually none of the content shows up. None of the music (Over 500 tracks), none of the pictures (2000+ easy), and fewer than half of the videos (over 1000). On the Twonky browser page under "Status" I am showing 462 videos, 0 songs and 0 photos. Easy fix with the old Twonky...simply rescan for content. Now, a rescan does nothing for me.

In addition videos now skip and some freeze altogether. This skipping/freezing seems to occur mainly with larger files now (MP4 and M2TS variety). This NEVER happened before and it all worked great.

So, my question is simple, what on EARTH am I doing wrong here?!?!?

Edit- I have heard that multiple sub-folders may cause issues but I use almost none. My file structure would look something like this- L:\Moves\HD or L:\Movies\SD....then all files are just in those end folders. Same for Photos M:\Photos\2012.....or \2011....then all photos are just in those final folders. And as before, Twonky USED to find everything just fine.

phibertron
AV Hardware:Hardware
========
WHS - HP Ex495
PS3
XBOX 360
iTouch - Gen 2 and Gen 3
PSP - 3000

Encoders
========
Handbrake
x264
ffmpeg
mencoder

Tagging
======
mp3tag

Re: Um..what am I missing here....Twonky does not work anymo

Post by phibertron » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:02 pm

What version were you using previoulsy, I'll assume 6.x, based on the timeframe?

I would suggest using 7.0.9 or 6.x, which is still downloable
too many reported issues with 7.0.11

also, I would grab the 7.0.9 while you can, as they used to keep links for all version on the forums
but for whatever reason they have not been doing that for the 7.x builds for pc/mac/linux
they have just been keeping the nas builds for 7.x

you can get 7.0.9 for windows/pc/mac/linux here
http://twonky.com/support/downloads.aspx

you can get 6.0.39 for windows/pc/mac/linux here and nas builds
http://www.twonkyforum.com/downloads/6.0.39/
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10627
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9353
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9408
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9416
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9424
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9364
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9497

Kyle_gates

Post by Kyle_gates » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:53 am

I would guess it HAD to be a 6.x version. All I know is it didn't require a web browser to run and when it was initially set up (and whenever the library was "refreshed") I would at least get some indication that something was happening. Now it just sits there. Even under status it lists "Last Database Update- In Progress" But the titles just never show up. Thanks a ton for the links! Seems the 7.0.9 is doing the sames thing. Will try going to a 6.x. So disappointing, it used to work so well!

Edit- Upon a quick check it seems that 7.0.11 does not like being uninstalled entirely as using the older link I was STILL using 7.0.11 according to the "setup page" despite an uninstall (stupid browser based setup). So, I tried 6.0.39 and it....seems...to...kinda...be working. So far.

In the end...might be time for Serviio.

Kyle_gates

Post by Kyle_gates » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:30 am

Ah HA!! After EXTENSIVE searching of my archives I found the old Twonky!! Version 2.0.2.20 ...What the heck happened to that sleek....USER FRIENDLY application (That can be run even if my PC has no web browser on it at all)? Ya know, with buttons to..holy crap...remove a folder if I no longer want it displayed in my library. Easy to find items like restarting the server, rebuild database (which then shows a convenient little spinning...icon...thing...letting me know that the program is actually doing something. Seems like its been a LONG LONG time since I have updated....and seems like things have gone downhill fast.

phibertron
AV Hardware:Hardware
========
WHS - HP Ex495
PS3
XBOX 360
iTouch - Gen 2 and Gen 3
PSP - 3000

Encoders
========
Handbrake
x264