twonkyserver NAS bug likely in v5-v8?

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
dz2k
AV Hardware:moxi, bravia tv
twonkyserver NAS bug likely in v5-v8?

Post by dz2k » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:43 am

we have another dlna streaming app that we stream inside and outside the home on our mobile smartphones thanks to a fix in the code that was requested recently. We would like to have twonkyserver also doing the same. We adjusted the settings according to the post here: http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3707. We can see all content from outside but it says "sorry, audio/video cannot be played." with that error description depending on if Audio .mp3 or Video .mp4 was selected. We think there is a code fix that is necessary, which is why we would like to try to bypass twonkyserver v4-8 security for testing. We could be wrong but a LocalSubnets=127.,192.168.,172.16.-172.32.,10.,0.0.0.0-255.255.255.255 command in another dlna apps .ini config file fixed our external streaming issue until a fix was implemented. it had something to do with us authenticating login/password with our browser but then not having a choice to re-authenticate login/passwd after sending media to the default media player on the smartphone. Any Suggestions?

TwonkyServer version 8.0.1
Server hardware Xtreamer Etrayz NAS
Operating System Linux
Client(s) and their software version: android 4.0.4 smartphone w/ "Internet" (safari) or "Opera Mobile" browser but sent to stock audio/video player.
Type(s) of media you are having problems with: Audio .mp3, Video .mp4
Network type (Wired/Wireless) 3G/4G Wireless and wired/wireless when off home LAN Wireless has the issue streaming. Streaming to the phone stock audio/video player is fine while on LAN wireless confirmed on older version of twonkyserver.
Other items on your network (Router make/model for example) Linksys e2000 router
Last edited by dz2k on Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:05 am, edited 18 times in total.

dz2k

Re: twonkyserver NAS bug likely in v5-v8?

Post by dz2k » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:14 pm

this bug still is in twonky 8.0.1. pv has responded to emails and have escalated. thanks.
Last edited by dz2k on Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Twonky-Rene

Re: how to put localsubnets in config twonkyserver v5-v8?

Post by Twonky-Rene » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:38 am

I just want to let you know, that we couldn't reproduce the problem.

We triple-checked and the current configuration, as discribed in the forum thread on Remote Access, is still valid and working, in Twonky Server 8.0.3.

Maybe we are looking in the wrong place and you can clarify the error condition and how to reproduce?

dz2k

Post by dz2k » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:40 am

Twonky-Rene wrote:I just want to let you know, that we couldn't reproduce the problem.

We triple-checked and the current configuration, as discribed in the forum thread on Remote Access, is still valid and working, in Twonky Server 8.0.3.

Maybe we are looking in the wrong place and you can clarify the error condition and how to reproduce?
Thank you for responding! I have doubts that it's fixed on v8.0.3 but want to try. However, at this time, my 30 day trial version of twonkyserver 8.0.1 expired and was uninstalled. The original email to support, which created Request #23989/internal reference #-15834, was answered within 24 hours but its been 6+ weeks since I contacted you. Then again, I didn't respond to your post above very fast either. :lol: I didn't think to provide a log file here as I was testing several versions of twonkyserver up to v8.0.1 to see if it resolved my issue but it didn't. After your reply above, I installed twonkyserver v8.0.3 but it says my trial version has expired already. We have tried the following on 2 different Linux based NAS devices and at least 4 different versions (in number) of twonky ranging from twonky v4 - v8.0.1. I know older versions of twonky(media)Server aren't supported anymore but I'm just mentioning it because each config was tested.

Note:
>For test purposes, the content to be streamed has full rwx capability (777) so there are no permissions issues.
>These steps assume remote acesss is already configured.
>The steps below are based on another NAS that has an older pre-installed twonkyserver so please make sense of the steps if not exact.

1) grab an (android) smartphone.

2) use default browser that says "Internet" (safari-based I think) or "Opera Mobile" browser.

3) go to the twonky ddns address:9100 and login with uid/password. (note: You should NOT be on LAN Wifi)

4) go to mobile mediabrowser

5) go to Music or Videos

6) navigate your way to and click on an Audio.mp3 or Video file. On a separate note, this is the point I got to at my friends house and her Sony TV that has opera based browser didn't respond to us clicking on the audio nor video file.

7) it gives a prompt to select: "android system" , "default media player" , Sound/Video player, or a browser "Internet"/"Opera Mobile".
Note: I want to hand the content to the stock android "Sound/Video player" depending on if one chose Music or Videos above.

8 ) It is now trying to stream the file selected but it is here that we receive an error. It will state "sorry, the player doesn't support this type of video/audio file."
Note:
> On my smartphone, logging into ddns address with browser and sending the content to the smartphone stock audio/video player is fine while on home LAN wireless.
> On my smartphone, logging into ddns address with browser and sending the content to the smartphone stock audio/video player is NOT fine anywhere else while off the home LAN wireless. Ex. When on 3G/4G Wireless, over a friends house and on their wired/wireless network is where twonkyserver has the issue playing the exact same content it played in the prior Note above.

This issue was exactly like a competitor dlna app that now has this issue resolved. I don't know if this helps but In that case, a developer stated to me "it is to do with security" and is an issue "with the permissions to access content externally." "The issue is that you are authenticating your connecting with your browser and then handing playback to another application which has not been authenticated and hence it fails to playback." The temp fix they first gave was to completely disable security by adding the following in the config file: LocalSubnets=127.,192.168.,172.16.-172.32.,10.,0.0.0.0-255.255.255.255. This fixed my streaming issue to the phone for the time being while they fixed the code. They have since resolved the issue with the security implemented with login/password and it appears LocalSubnets=127.,192.168.,172.16.-172.32.,10., is in the code to where i don't need to manually enter it in the dlna apps config file anymore. I know my phone is capable because it now works just fine on this NAS with a competitor dlna app with the same exact content. i'm hoping twonky can help me get streaming of audio & video working too no matter whether its to a smartphone stock audio/video player or to a tv when off the home LAN. Thanks for listening. God Bless!
Last edited by dz2k on Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

dz2k

Post by dz2k » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:59 am

Twonky-Rene wrote:I just want to let you know, that we couldn't reproduce the problem.

hello. I'd like to explain this a different way to see if it makes more sense. I believe it has to do with there being 2 security checks in your software while I'm outside my home (ex. 3g/4g/different wifi):
1) I login with uid/password (security check #1 passed)
2) I find the video content I want to play and click on it BUT I redirect it to the phone's default video player (security check #2 fails) and says "Sorry, this video cannot be played." I need the 2nd security check disabled because from what the other dlna app expert says is it didn't like me handing it off to the phone's default video player as it hadn't be authenticated. Please remember it works just fine this way on the local lan but it doesn't have passwords/authentication to deal with from my experience.

Porsrun
AV Hardware:I don't know

Post by Porsrun » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:08 am

Nice topic,thank you for sharing this post.
gclub online
goldenslot