What's most important to you - Bug Fixes or new features?

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.

What should developers work on first:

Bug fixes
94%
New features
6%

Total votes: 17

SadGamerGeek
What's most important to you - Bug Fixes or new features?

Post by SadGamerGeek » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:41 pm

I am not very impressed that an issue I raised in March (a bug with 3.1) has still not even been picked up. I understand that no issues have been touched since Feb.

The reason I have been given for this is that the new release is being worked on, though it seems strange to me that bugs should take such a low priority. I thought it would be interesting (and hopefuly informative to the developers) to poll people to see where they think limited developer resources should be targeted. What's most important to other users - fixing bugs or adding new features?

Cheers,

Richard

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:40 pm

You have to balance both.

In a ideal world, you would get 1 version rock solid, and then work on features for the next major version, however in the real world, things are much more diffucult. You have to deal with different hardware, different software platforms, lots of different client devices.
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

k1200rs
AV Hardware:Does no longer attend this forum.

Post by k1200rs » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:40 pm

Agree with mgillespie. I regret that the poll offers only 2 choices. Both are important to me and a typical 30% - 70% split between effort spent on maintenance vs. new features seems appropriate to me. However, if we look at MANTIS, I do not see anything spent on maintenance since end of Feb.