PodCasts with twonky?

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.

Would you like to listen to podcasts?

Yes, verry nice.
78%
No, wyh should I.
22%

Total votes: 9

Psychodad
PodCasts with twonky?

Post by Psychodad » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:41 pm

Hi

I would like to hear podcasts via tv...

My idea is to save the xml-files in a folder and add this to tv, just like playlists.

That should be quite easy as its normal mp3-files, you find the link inside the xml.

(At least the one I tried)

can we hope?

by

Psychodd
greetings from Zürich

Psychodad

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:59 am

Being a non-Ipod owner, can someone explain what podcasting actually is??

It seems to be the current Buzzword (trypical Apple to use smoke an mirrors marketting buzzwords)

wideasleep1

Post by wideasleep1 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:39 pm

Think mp3 versions of blog/radio segments...value-added by the ability to timeshift/portability ala TiVo. Sort of exciting since it's relatively new(like mp3 compression when it first came on scene), but with info overload and certainty of competing technologies in the future, it will transition into something else before too long. IMHO, it has absolutely nothing to do with 'pods...just marketing as usual.

Psychodad

podcasts

Post by Psychodad » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:22 am

Hi

Basicali podcasts are just mp3 files. And sure: every mp3-player can be used.

The "new" part is, there is a xml-file that contains more infos (comments, Info abaut the podcast and the link to the mp3)

Mostly podcasts are like recorded radio-broadcast that you can download.

Would be nice to hear news, weatherforecast and so on using tv.

by

Psychodad
greetings from Zürich

Psychodad

SadGamerGeek

Post by SadGamerGeek » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:04 pm

If you're running on Linux, there's a few scripts on the web that use the wget command to download podcasts. I've recently adapted one to use with my TV running on my NSLU2. I maintain a file of podcasts, and the script uses this to download new MP3s into a directory under the area that TV serves from (and adds the MP3s to a playlist). This works a treat and the files are picked up by my MP101. Now I just need to:

o Create a share for the area that contains my Podcast list. I can then maintain it from any Windows PC on the network via Network Neighborhood, instead of having to use vi in a telnet window.

o Get it set-up in "cron" to run on a regular schedule.

o Ammend the script so it automaticaly deletes podcasts older than a defined age.

I'dd be happy to share the script (though it is mostly someone else's work) once I'm done. Can't help on Windows :(