What is the best device for Twonky?

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.

Which device brand do you prefer to use with Twonky?

Xbox 360
6%
PSP
No votes
Netgear
11%
D-Link
22%
Buffalo
11%
Streamium
22%
Yamaha
No votes
Telegent
No votes
Other
28%

Total votes: 18

reaproductions
What is the best device for Twonky?

Post by reaproductions » Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:22 pm

I'm new to the concept of media streaming but not new to technology. I find that Twonky would be a great solution for me but I'm having trouble finding out which box would be best. I have no interest in a gaming console so the 360 or PSP are out. There are plenty of threads on here about both the Netgear or D-Link. Are those the best? What are the defining criteria? If money was no object what would you buy?

I plan on streaming both video and audio wirelessly. I would prefer that the 802.11 is not built but rather the box have a ethernet cable for wired networking or an 802.11 bridge. All of my media is on OS X.

The outputs I need are component, S-Video and composite RCA. I would prefer 1080i support with also an HDMI out. Audio requirements are optical and coax digital along with RCA.

Regarding the codecs. Is it software based only? Twonky understands VOB and can serve to the device but does the device have to have a VOB codec built into the hardware? Twonky boasts to support all these video types but most manufacturers I see do not.

If someone would please respond I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

GregiBoy
AV Hardware:Zensonic Z500 x 2, Ziova CS-505, D-Link DSM-320, iPaq RX3715, TwonkyVision 4.4.3 Windows XP, TVersity

Post by GregiBoy » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:28 am

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:04 am

Noxon.

Very well priced, and work well. No real firmware or playback issues. The display on the Noxon 1 is a bit naff, but then it's a very cheap device. The Noxon 2 is much better in this respect, but costs more. You takes your choice...

Both are audio only. I have no desire to stream video, and I doubt my 54Mbit wifi would cope...
Last edited by mgillespie on Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

hudsonthehawk

Post by hudsonthehawk » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:26 am

Roku Soundbridge M1001, but it's just for music
-- Hudson

Homer Simpson: "Rock stars ... Is there anything they don't know?"
Running Twonky on a DS-106e

Edlem

Post by Edlem » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:23 pm

hudsonthehawk wrote:Roku Soundbridge M1001, but it's just for music
Agreed. I've got two Roku running off Twonky, and have had no problems at all.

Though I've got to admit right now I'm really loving the PSP as a portable setup. Want to sit out in the garden and listen to some tunes? No problem (wireless network range allowing)