New Feature Requests

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
k1200rs
AV Hardware:Does no longer attend this forum.
New Feature Requests

Post by k1200rs » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:48 am

This discussion is to collect all ideas for possible new features.
Plase do not discuss here about bugs or issues.

k1200rs

Post by k1200rs » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:01 am

1. Capability to enter Internet URLs (radios, TV) in an better user interface than in a playlist.

2. Automatic Real-time Seemless Transcoding of WMA streams to MP3 (to access most popular radios available on Internet).

Note: I think that Tversity does it by simply using modules of the WMP (hence the reason why Tversity only runs on Windows/VISTA).
Nevertheless, I believe this feature is really needed. I am a bit frustrated I can only access MP3 Radios.
Last edited by k1200rs on Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kos

Post by Kos » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:54 pm

Agree - Twonky's missing radio capability is a bit irritating. Shoutcast is not enough!

Kos
Setup: D-link635/Linksys(wifi), PhilipsSLA5520/Noxon iRadio, Sonos ZP90+ZP120+S5+CR200, iPod Touch & iPad2, Twonky6.0.30(server), MaxtorSS+/Qnap TS-109+112 (NAS'es), MediaMonkey 4(media manager)

aqxx

It would be great if TV can interpret CUE sheets of CD image

Post by aqxx » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:00 pm

It would be great if TV can interpret CUE sheets of CD images.

Personally I do not split my CDs into tracks and just save an image with CUE sheet (e.g. like Exact Audio Copy creates).

Would be fantastic if TV could display the content of the CUE sheet as tracks.
I think this can not take to much time to code?

Anyone else missing this feature?

Kos

Album art in media browser

Post by Kos » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:41 am

Include album art in the media browser (and give it a design brush-up).

Kos
Setup: D-link635/Linksys(wifi), PhilipsSLA5520/Noxon iRadio, Sonos ZP90+ZP120+S5+CR200, iPod Touch & iPad2, Twonky6.0.30(server), MaxtorSS+/Qnap TS-109+112 (NAS'es), MediaMonkey 4(media manager)

Kos

Make -1 functionality on MSS+ work

Post by Kos » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:43 am

Scanning automatically for new content when new content is stored on the NAS would be sooooooooooo nice. (The -1 functionality isn't working today).

Kos

pem

Support of subtitles

Post by pem » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:45 am

When subtitles (srt) exists with the same name as the movie, it would be nice to have them included in the stream.

kfk

Re: Make -1 functionality on MSS+ work

Post by kfk » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:32 pm

Kos wrote:Scanning automatically for new content when new content is stored on the NAS would be sooooooooooo nice. (The -1 functionality isn't working today).

Kos
Yes, yes, YES!
--------
Kasper
Philips Streamium SL400 - Noxon iRadio - TwonkyVision 4.4 - Maxtor shared storage plus

pegase64

Post by pegase64 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:28 am

Have again the possibility to force Twonky to display music titles in track order (against the wish of upnp player). Like in 2.8 :-)

Pierre Néel

campbellr66

Post by campbellr66 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:10 pm

1) Implement inbuilt Video Tags for MP4 and DivX files and support browsing video by Genere, Studio etc. I mostly use TWONKY to store TV episodes so browsing by Season and episode would be good. At a minimum the ability to have a display name different from the file name. Due to the lack of video file tags most people include a lot of info in the file name, this is not great on a limited width tv screen etc.

2) Parental Controls ... plenty posted on this previously.

3) On demand and Batch transcoding of video formats.

4) A lot of improvements to the software client (web browser). Take a look at TVedia for ideas

these will be key features for a central video centric media server in the home.
Last edited by campbellr66 on Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Infrant ReadyNAS, TV MediaServer 4.4, TVedia win32 Client 4.2, DSM-320, Pinnacle SC200, Streamium 50i

JBR

Support for streaming x264 mkv

Post by JBR » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:19 pm

Because more and more HD (720p and 1080p) content is produced on the internet, support on those x264 and mkv format-s would be a big improvement to us all.

Encoding details which i saw with one of the video's: "x264 through MeGUI - 1920x1080 - Matroska"

Thanks in advance.

felkor

Post by felkor » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:17 pm

I'd like to request that the media buttons (Videos/Music/Pictures) on the remote for the Netgear EVA700 work with Twonky.

Innovonet

Post by Innovonet » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:54 pm

The option to disable rescanning of database at each start would be great. The existing database should be used and presented as it is. Why should anybody steal files while my NAS is off? :wink:
It would be real helpful with some 10k files which take >10mins.
Have a look at Firefly options in this case.
Thanks.
Version: V4.2RC1 on NSLU2 unslung 6.8b
Noxon2, Soundbridge1001, Showcenter200. NSLU2, FSG3, Intradisk. Fritzbox 7050

jdc0730

Transcoding of FLAC to MP3

Post by jdc0730 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:52 pm

My number one feature request is transcoding of FLAC to MP3 to allow streaming to the XBOX 360.

At the very least, TwonkyVision should not display them to the 360 if it can't play them.

hijack

Post by hijack » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:08 pm

What kind of things you want us to request as you are not really listening.
Subtitles have been requested by many over and over for more then a
year...

Maybe you should just list your plans so we can only request those as for
the rest whatever we request is not being done anyway... What a waste of
time and a great tool... (actually not so great if it can't do subs which is
basic functionality for any streaming tool in most EU countries...)

We used to recommend vendors to integrate twonky but we decided to
stop doing it until you actually can provide what people need for video
streaming...

A total of 19 threads requesting it...
A total of 79 posts...

When are you planning to "look into it" ?
Hi-Jack
http://www.mpcclub.com
Europe's No1 Media Player Portal
The longer it takes for you to egree with me, the longer I been ahead of you!

bonienl

Post by bonienl » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:34 pm

hijack wrote:Subtitles have been requested by many...
I like to add that subtitle support for different file formats should be in. It was announced to get SRT file support but until now this is not working. And ofcourse subtitle support for DVD films (VOB) is lacking quite obviously.

In addition to different subtitles many of the DVDs support multiple spoken languages, which can't be selected either! A real pitty.

hijack

Post by hijack » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:42 am

DVD subtitles is a whole different issue as many players parse them on their own different way. There are programs allowing this on Syabas middleware (firmware) like Snazio, NeoDigits, Trans-gear, Netgear DSM using a software developed by the MPC Club Scene called Wizd (Developed by JiB)!

For KiSS players, the option is developed by MPC Club Scene called Kissdx (developed by VIT)

Mainly media files support is targeted for DivX/Xvid (srt and SUB support)
To be able playing sub/idx (dvd subtitles) the issue is that it is in combination with VOB files. That would need capabilities of IFO parsing and if even SRT and SUB seem to be so hard for Twonky to implement, then SUB/IDX will be even harder...

I hope it will be supported very soon. It's the only way the Twonky software will ever be considered a decent media player. The issues comes from the fact Twonky was originated in germany that does not need subs really as everything is dubbed. Once started international sales the demand became higher and higher...

Well, i removed Twonky now, got fed up waiting and started using
EzLinkNG in combination with the native uPnPav browser in the infrant
which does a better job at playing movies with subtitles. Further more,
most players released now incorporate SMB and DVD ISO and IFO
capabilities. Perfect match with no need for incomplete software to run
anymore that can only deliver parts of the things we need...

Missed chances...
It could have been so much more then an "option" only.
Hi-Jack
http://www.mpcclub.com
Europe's No1 Media Player Portal
The longer it takes for you to egree with me, the longer I been ahead of you!

jsevinsk

Post by jsevinsk » Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:22 am

felkor wrote:I'd like to request that the media buttons (Videos/Music/Pictures) on the remote for the Netgear EVA700 work with Twonky.
And it would be nice if the Artist and Genre buttons would work with my Netgear MP101. The Playlist and Track buttons works.

cat6man

channel change TV tuner

Post by cat6man » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:37 pm

I'd like to see the ability to change a TV channel, even if only by kicking off a parameterized command line or 2.

The VLC playlist capability lets a streaming TV channel be sent to a media player client (see developer page).

All we need now is the ability to set up something (playlists?) that can cause the tuner to change channels.

For example, folks have sent commands for a SiliconDust HDHR tuner to send a particular channel to VLC on a particular port, then send that out http on a different port. The VLC playlist then points to that port and liveTV is shown at the client. All you need to do is set up a way to have the tuner change channels and you'll have a liveTV capability from the tuner.

by the way, Nick at SiliconDust is fantastically supportive of integrating his product with others and would surely help you out here!

jsevinsk

Post by jsevinsk » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:21 am

jsevinsk wrote: And it would be nice if the Artist and Genre buttons would work with my Netgear MP101. The Playlist and Track buttons works.
Oh, never mind. After I read the FAQ, I got them all working.

22hn

Post by 22hn » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:39 pm

Use http host header from origin request in media library URLs

http://www.twonkyvision.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2946

BigKid

Post by BigKid » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:11 pm

I would like an itunes-server (7.x) like firefly...

I like the fact that townky runs on my linkstation (NAS) without the need of changeing to much (like installing openlink or freelink). If twonky could serve to iTunes (and the problem with divx on my philips would be fixed) it would make it perfect for my needs...

J@n

Post by J@n » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:44 pm

felkor wrote:I'd like to request that the media buttons (Videos/Music/Pictures) on the remote for the Netgear EVA700 work with Twonky.
I second that. Presumably there are quite a few Eva's that go around so...why not?
Software: TwonkyMedia (upgraded)
Streaming: Synology DS101j (320 GB) for Music and Pictures (hardly); Synology DS106e (500 GB) for Video using Wizd (sorry...only can afford one license TM) Player: Netgear EVA-700 (The SL50i has died)

twonky-christian
Lynx Technology Staff
AV Hardware:PC

Post by twonky-christian » Sun May 13, 2007 9:43 am

Hi,

we started srt implementation and found it is a mess - no standard there at all.

We implemented srt support for Philips Streamium and for some D-Link clients (they use both different ways to resolve these).

Looks like you are saying the Syabas guys have a third idea how to use them ?

In any case we can not include the subtitles into the stream as this would imply re-coding the stream on the fly.

If you want to help with srt support try to find out which (UPnP) players are using it in which way - and identify the most common one here ;-)

Christian

hijack wrote:DVD subtitles is a whole different issue as many players parse them on their own different way. There are programs allowing this on Syabas middleware (firmware) like Snazio, NeoDigits, Trans-gear, Netgear DSM using a software developed by the MPC Club Scene called Wizd (Developed by JiB)!

For KiSS players, the option is developed by MPC Club Scene called Kissdx (developed by VIT)

Mainly media files support is targeted for DivX/Xvid (srt and SUB support)
To be able playing sub/idx (dvd subtitles) the issue is that it is in combination with VOB files. That would need capabilities of IFO parsing and if even SRT and SUB seem to be so hard for Twonky to implement, then SUB/IDX will be even harder...

I hope it will be supported very soon. It's the only way the Twonky software will ever be considered a decent media player. The issues comes from the fact Twonky was originated in germany that does not need subs really as everything is dubbed. Once started international sales the demand became higher and higher...

Well, i removed Twonky now, got fed up waiting and started using
EzLinkNG in combination with the native uPnPav browser in the infrant
which does a better job at playing movies with subtitles. Further more,
most players released now incorporate SMB and DVD ISO and IFO
capabilities. Perfect match with no need for incomplete software to run
anymore that can only deliver parts of the things we need...

Missed chances...
It could have been so much more then an "option" only.

WinnetouKoslowski

Pasword for Media Browser

Post by WinnetouKoslowski » Sun May 13, 2007 8:42 pm

Hi! The Media Browser is very nive, i would like to forward it to the internet and have password protection to restrict use.

And subtitles would be great.

The configuration-web-interface eats screen for nothing (unlike the media browser). Could you get rid of the frames please?

Umlaute in german webinterface are garbled.

So whalt else? Dunno. It?s a good program so far.

Regards,
W1m37?¥ |{0$£0w$|{1

WinnetouKoslowski

Post by WinnetouKoslowski » Mon May 21, 2007 7:01 pm

ITunes Smart Playlist appear in alphabetical order, it would be nice to have them sorted like in iTunes or randomly.

bluheim

Post by bluheim » Thu May 24, 2007 10:34 am

It would be great if future MacOS X releases include an iPhoto compatibility, the way iTunes compatibility works. iPhoto database is in xml format, just like iTunes one, and it should be very easy to add.

ostwestfale

Wii-Support

Post by ostwestfale » Sat May 26, 2007 7:21 pm

It would be great if Nintendo Wii could be used as Client.
There are already solutions, streaming content to the via and it can be used via the integrated Opera Browser. Twonky Media shows up, and it is possible to select a song, but the it stucks, because Twonky expects a mediaplayer available on the client.

bigalex

Post by bigalex » Sun May 27, 2007 2:58 pm

The media browser is really a nice feature. Besides including album art it would be a very powerfull feature to use it as upnp control point to remotely operate other upnp media renderers.

zrocker

Post by zrocker » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:45 am

Support a Music Tree Type of 'Album (Year)' so that you can have the album's year displayed next to the Album's name (in parens). This would be especially nice when viewing all the albums by an Artist.

Also, 'Year - Album' format would be nice as an option as well...so you could list all the albums for an artist in Year order (all on the same screen/list).

mcreim

Select Audio-Track in multiaudio .ts-File

Post by mcreim » Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:42 pm

I have a .ts File with more than one audio-track. It plays perfect via twonky on my ps3, but only with the first audio-track. :cry:
Will there be a way to select the audio in future versions?

Greetings
Michael
<b>Server:</b> Twonkymedia 4.4 Beta 4 on Debian-Sarge-Linux 386 32Bit.
<b>Client:</b> PS3 Firmware Rev. 1.80

Soul_Rvr911

New feature request: additional codecs

Post by Soul_Rvr911 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:34 pm

Hello!

I would like to request an additional feature: support for the MusePack codec! Most of my music I've ripped into .mpc format. I downloaded the trial version of TwonkyMedia and noticed that this codec isn't supported, so I can't stream to my PS3. If you could add this codec I would definitely purchase this software, as everything else about it works flawlessly (for my needs - I don't care much about video streaming)!

Thanks!

rendl

Post by rendl » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:16 pm

Support of keyword search.

This used to work in V3 and is broken now.

Can anybody advice if this will ever come back or if this was killed on purpose?

Apart from the broken search feature I apreciate Twonky working fast on three of my Roku clients. (We are evaluating latest beta in trial close to purchase licenses)

thanks
NSLU2 Unslung
1x Roku M2000
1x Roku M1001
1x Roku M1000

k1200rs

Post by k1200rs » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:06 am

bigalex wrote:Besides including album art it would be a very powerfull feature to use it as upnp control point to remotely operate other upnp media renderers.
Agree, a UPNP control point in the media browser would really be cool.

Karsi

Update database with selected directories

Post by Karsi » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:09 pm

It would be great to have the opportunity to update the database only in these directoriries which have new files. It would be much more faster than the rescan of all files.

How it can look like:
- similar to the directory list for the database
- special 'seletive update page'
- allows to select the directories of interest
- allows to start the selective update database process

Best regards,
Karsten

jtmckinley

Re: Transcoding of FLAC to MP3

Post by jtmckinley » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:46 pm

jdc0730 wrote:My number one feature request is transcoding of FLAC to MP3 to allow streaming to the XBOX 360.

At the very least, TwonkyVision should not display them to the 360 if it can't play them.
If this feature is implemented please also provide for WAV to MP3 transcoding so WAV files will play on the 360 as well.

phobis

AVC / MP4 / h264

Post by phobis » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:35 pm

It would be nice if h264 was supported (AVC).

Please support AVC :)

cbhwr

Post by cbhwr » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:10 pm

...simple things..

Parse and display more MPEG4 details:
  • Embedded images
  • Embedded .srt subtitles (if at all possible :?: )
  • iTunes-specific ATOMs
Support multiple sub-devices specific for Music, Video and Pictures - for letting music-only players, just see the music-one, and letting PS3s see 3 different ones (same name?) depending on which tab in the XMB you are looking under.

Add a voting-page for customers to vote for prefered areas of focus. (Mine would be to get as far as possible with open, widely-used formats, such as MPEG4 containers, instead of more obscure ones such as Matroska)

/Nc.

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:22 pm

cbhwr wrote:...simple things..

Parse and display more MPEG4 details:
  • Embedded images
  • Embedded .srt subtitles (if at all possible :?: )
  • iTunes-specific ATOMs
Support multiple sub-devices specific for Music, Video and Pictures - for letting music-only players, just see the music-one, and letting PS3s see 3 different ones (same name?) depending on which tab in the XMB you are looking under.

Add a voting-page for customers to vote for prefered areas of focus. (Mine would be to get as far as possible with open, widely-used formats, such as MPEG4 containers, instead of more obscure ones such as Matroska)

/Nc.
Some of these things are governed by the client (the PS3 thing you mention), or the DLNA spec does not enable this functionlity.
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

Dartan

Post by Dartan » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:31 am

I'm not even sure if this would be possible, but would do most anything to get it.

I have a directory with nothing but ISO files of DVD's in it. I'd for Twonky to be able to stream them to a client direction from the ISO without having to convert it to MP4 or some other format. I like to keep the ISO files as a backup of the original DVD (kids have a nasty way of ruining a DVD) and it sucks having to have an MP4 version of the movie as well as the ISO file (going through disk space like crazy).

Dave

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:12 am

Well the first issue, would be unless the DVD is not encrypted (which very few are), then Twonky would need to decrypt it. This would be very dangerous waters for Twonky, as commercial programs breaking CCS encryption puts them in violation of many international laws...

Basically it aint gonna happen...
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

GregiBoy
AV Hardware:Zensonic Z500 x 2, Ziova CS-505, D-Link DSM-320, iPaq RX3715, TwonkyVision 4.4.3 Windows XP, TVersity

I think Twonky will miss out

Post by GregiBoy » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:05 am

I think that this is not the case.

ISO's that on a hard disk are by default without protection already. Quite a lot are self-authored home movies, etc and Twonky are not the copyright police.

Are you trying to tell me that this does not equate with MP3's which are mainly sourced from CD's or AVI/MP4 movies which are sourced from DVD's?

Quite a few players are now offering ISO/IFO support over SMB.

If Twonky does not offer this option, I see users forgetting about a UpNP server and just using SMB, even though the network setup is usually more difficult and the neteork has to be functioning correctly.

TheShadowRunner

Post by TheShadowRunner » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:12 pm

Feature request:

- Can you allow to *not* have "All Pictures", "All Video" and "All Music" entries in the navigation tree?

- The suggestion by starhubble:

Code: Select all

Also... here is something I really think should be fixed. 

Let's say I want to add a directory to the share, for example: 

D:\Music\Mp3\Blub\ 

This directory contains a number of files... 

a.mp3 
b.mp3 
c.mp3 

I add the directory to the share and set it up as "Music-Only", which tells Twonky that it should be displayed under the Music root folder. 

Now, the problem is that Twonky will not add this directory to the Music root folder, but rather the files it contains: 

Music\ 

a.mp3 
b.mp3 
c.mp3 

There should be a way of making the directory appear as a subdirectory under the root folder: 

Music\Blub\ 

a.mp3 
b.mp3 
c.mp3 

If all shared music files are shoved directly into the root folder things get real messy.   
Ie: if I share a folder called "XYZ", I would like TwonkyMedia to keep its structure intact and let me browse it the way it is originally organized on the PC side.
The exemple by starhubble explains it better than I do ^^;
Thanks & see you!

TSR

Dartan

Post by Dartan » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:10 am

mgillespie wrote:Well the first issue, would be unless the DVD is not encrypted (which very few are), then Twonky would need to decrypt it. This would be very dangerous waters for Twonky, as commercial programs breaking CCS encryption puts them in violation of many international laws...

Basically it aint gonna happen...
If you use K3B (under linux) it takes off the encryption. I'm sure there are windows programs that do the same.

beyondfear

Post by beyondfear » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:36 pm

Ability to configure Twonky to look for album cover art in a specified directory and look for the album cover art file based on a naming template like '<artist> - <album>'.

Currently, I choose to store my album cover art in a specific directory and not inside each and every MP3 track (wasteful). My player software supports this configuration and can display/track the cover art nicely.

riptide355

Support for the NevoSL

Post by riptide355 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:59 am

Please support the NevoSL

See these links to see exactly what I am talking about.

http://www.jeffsmarketletter.com/helios.html

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mb ... ad.cgi?520

Please let me know if you are willing to look into this problem. Controlling streaming media using this remote is the way of the future, IMHO.

Thank you!

drwtsn32

Post by drwtsn32 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:48 pm

PLEASE have it also include *.m2ts video files (AVCHD) when scanning folders. If you made this simple change, I'd buy a license right away.

evilo

Post by evilo » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:47 pm

Hi,

Here is a little request :

Possibility to independently rescan video, photo, or music shares. (for people using a NAS where the -1 option is not working)

thanks !
Twonky running on a Synology DS101j

warp33

Post by warp33 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:47 pm

the idea of evilo sound very good :-) I would prefer that to!! Is there a timeplan when the next version is coming?

joewalch

Transcode AVI/DivX to WMA for XBOX 360

Post by joewalch » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:00 pm

TRANSCODE AVI/DIVX TO WMA FOR XBOX 360

A major gripe is that all the content I have on AVI/DivX is not playable on XBOX 360.

I am running Windows Home Server Beta at present and Twonky beats the windows server hands down, especially for stability.

It would be one in the eye for MS if Twonky could do this.