New Feature Requests

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
BenM
AV Hardware:Twonky Media Server, P43G15B, BDMP-060, Nakamichi AV10, TF5800
Re: New Feature Requests

Post by BenM » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:08 pm

TMS 5.1.2 can use one Flickr user's pictures... how about enabling Flickr Group picture access?

I have found that you can get group pictures through TMS if you enter a group name into the username field on the media feeds setup screen and ticking the All My Photos box, however TMS doesn't seem to bring back all photos from that group - only the first one (This may be due to the relatively short time I left for TMS to scan a rather large group :) )

Could TMS be modified

i) So Group access with My Photos checked brings back all photos from that group.
ii) To allow group access via a user name - which would enable access to restricted groups.
iii) To allow user configuration of date ranges and/or numbers of pictures included - this would address the issue where there are many photos in a photostream or group and they take a long time to be indexed.

BenM

Briain
AV Hardware:Linn Klimax DS
Linn Majik DS-I
Linn Sneaky DS
WDTV Live Hib
Sonos 80

Post by Briain » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:57 pm

Hi

It would be extremely useful to include albumartist/album or albumartist/index into the definitions xml file of 5.1.2 and beyond. An alternative version of the advanced default 'shortcut' tree could also be created (i.e. one that brings the albumartist container into the menu).

I do not hide my compilation album contributing artists (I want to be able to find them) and thus I normally use albumartist/album to select an album (I only occasionally use the artist container as it has thousands and thousands of entries). That means I simply cannot use 5.1.2 in its current form.

Some consideration on an option to alpha-group albums is also needed as an 'all list' is too big for certain control points. Maybe we need two album containers in the definitions code (i.e. the current one and also an alpha-grouped one) and then the option to select which one you wish could be defined in the shortcut trees. Personally, I'd have both showing; I currently have both options in my 5.0.6x custom tree and frequently use both options on my different control points.

Bri

janiskemers
AV Hardware:Pioneer Reciever LX-SC71
Philips NP2500

Please add back music tree configuration

Post by janiskemers » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:30 am

Hi,

In V4 there was nice page to configure the music tree.
In V5 it has been taken away. This was for me one of the most important features enabling browsing by letter A or two AB, CD large libraries.

Also it was good to show music tree in the way I want.

The new Advanced tree set up is something intermediate and doesn't provide needed functionality.
When you will put back this removed feature?

BR, Janis

sorna
AV Hardware:DNS 323
WDTV Live
PSP (does this count as an AV device?)
Acer Laptop with 5.1 speakers, running xmbc, windows media center.

Post by sorna » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:30 am

Internet Radio Playlists.

This is an awful feature that existed in v4 but taken out in v5. Please add it back. I bought Twonkymedia to be used with my DNS-323 mainly for internet radio streaming capabilities. But unfortunately I am unable to tune to any of my favorite internet radios (I listen to Tamil language stations, whatever the gender I select, they are failing to get picked up). It is very frustrating. Hope you guys will add this back. Thanks.

walshchristopherj

Post by walshchristopherj » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:32 am

I would like for Internet Radio to actually work in 5.x like it did in 4.x.

gabejamison
AV Hardware:PS3, Ubuntu Server, Blackberry Storm 2, Windows/Linux laptop

Post by gabejamison » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:03 am

I would like to see streaming from Pandora radio. http://www.pandora.com

Shockmaindave
AV Hardware:Windows Vista
2 Playstation 3's
1 Retired DSM-320

Post by Shockmaindave » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:59 pm

I know I'm not the first to say this, but asking for the Nav Tree editing feature isn't a new request. It's a request to restore an old feature that used to make Twonky superior to the other programs that are out there.

Similarly, I never noticed how helpful the "exclude directories" feature was until I could no longer exclude them. Twonky's suggested fix in its marketing material (It's Easy! Just move the stuff you don't want to share to an unshared directory...) is an inferior solution to what was there before.

I still like the program, but I'm just mystified by it sometimes.

jdefayette
AV Hardware:WD My Book World II iTB; Philips Streamium NP2500; various PC's

Post by jdefayette » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:36 pm

edrikk wrote:To be honest, I'm not sure if Twonky guys are even reading the feature requests anymore, but I'll post my requests (one I've already requested, and one new one):

1) If the "Artist" field has several artists separated by either ";" or "/", then they should be kept as multiple artists in the database (as oppose to one long string). This way you can search for all items that a given artists has appeared in.

2) ABCAvi tag support.
Here here!! We need multiple field value support in all text tags. The delimiter should be configurable by the user, since different regions use different standards.

John

jdefayette
AV Hardware:WD My Book World II iTB; Philips Streamium NP2500; various PC's

Re: Custon Navigation Tree in TMS 5.x

Post by jdefayette » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:39 pm

asheiner wrote:I'd really like to see the possibility to create my own navigation tree in Twonky Media Server 5.x

It's a great feature and really keeps me away from upgrading my 4.4.11

Cheers
Andreas
I second that call. What happened to the configuration screen that was originally present on my NAS? The version 5 upgrade seems to have eliminated on of the most powerful features from the server.

John

satbeppo
AV Hardware:Dreambox 7000s
LG BD-390
Yamha rxv-600N

Post by satbeppo » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:46 am

Adding ARD/ZDF/ORF/3SAT Mediathek Streaming would be very nice.
Or a Version Twonky Media Beam for Linux....

PASHKA
AV Hardware:WDTV Live

Post by PASHKA » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:38 am

Hello!
I want to ask developers to add one feature to TMS, which can be very useful.
Description:
I have following files and folders shared (for ex.):
>added by config page
>Folder1
-Folder1\File1
-Folder1\File2
>Folder2
-Folder2\Folder3
-Folder2\Folder3\File3

When I connect to TMS and press "view by folder" I see:
File1
File2
Folder3

But much more useful will be such listing:
Folder1
Folder2

I think, that root level of "by folder" view must contain names of shared folders as in config page.

I hope I was understandable.

Sorry for my poor english.

PeeBee
AV Hardware:Buffalo LS Pro; PS3; Samsung LE37B650

Post by PeeBee » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:08 pm

PASHKA wrote:When I connect to TMS and press "view by folder" I see:
File1
File2
Folder3

But much more useful will be such listing:
Folder1
Folder2
Instead of adding Folder1 and Folder2 as separate entries in your "content locations" list you need to add the higher level folder that they both live in.

For example if Folder1 and Folder2 are in TopLevelFolder, add TopLevelFolder to your "content locations" list instead of Folder1 and Folder2.

PB

PASHKA
AV Hardware:WDTV Live

Post by PASHKA » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:34 am

PeeBee wrote:
Instead of adding Folder1 and Folder2 as separate entries in your "content locations" list you need to add the higher level folder that they both live in.

For example if Folder1 and Folder2 are in TopLevelFolder, add TopLevelFolder to your "content locations" list instead of Folder1 and Folder2.

PB
I know, but if I have following folders structure:

Folder1\Folder2
Folder1\Folder3
Folder1\Folder4
and only Folder 2 and Folder4 must be shares, but NOT Folder3?
If I share top folder (Folder1) all folders, including Folder3 will be shared, but, it contain some media, which I prefer not to share across family :)

Kaisser74
AV Hardware:W.D. 1 Tera White Label + XBOX 360

Post by Kaisser74 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:35 am

Hello everyone.

Twonky supports album art for films?
I like the interface much western-digital TV, Twonky can get a similar interface?

I know a software that lets you view movies and its cover.
I will put my TV capture:

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/4093/i ... 252228.jpg

http://www.serviio.org/

"Twonky is able to achieve the same?.

Thank you very much, greetings.

fboecom
AV Hardware:PC2500 VIA-C7 Ubuntu 10.04, Twonky Server 6.0.28, WD TV Live, AMDX4 Phoenix MSI 890 (Windows Performance index 7.1, Win 7-64 Ultimate)

Post by fboecom » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:16 pm

By far the most functional features we need is to be able to customize the navigation tree and the music track order; then the subtitles.

However .. there is a security issue as well. When TMS starts as a system service (a daemon under unix) it has root privileges - however anyone can access the localhost:9000 without admin password! I see this as a major security risk and lead to very unwanted behaviour - see it as the core basis for parental control..
First we need tms to support the

Code: Select all

sudo - u <user> $TWONKYSRV
starting method under unix and secondly password protect the :9000 web interface.

azcodemonkey
AV Hardware:Windows 7 x64 w/ TwonkyMedia Server, PS3 client

Post by azcodemonkey » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:45 am

Just a small thing that has little to do with core functionality. Please use a rolling log file that rolls by day. I just deleted an 82GB log file. You might want to consider rolling by size, if not by date, or keeping a limited set of logs (say 7 days or so), or make it configurable. ;)

ycwkpp898
AV Hardware:linkstation live and pro

Post by ycwkpp898 » Wed May 12, 2010 12:10 am

Be able to set different settings for each folder, eg I have cartoons that i have ripped to hd for the kids, and wish for themto be visible to only them, so we have a age restriction on them.

prmusic

Post by prmusic » Wed May 12, 2010 3:55 pm

Hi All,

Version 6.0 beta 3 supports AlbumArt for Movie files - which is a big step forward. The jpg has to be named the same way as the movie file. Additionally it would be great if you can apply a folder.jpg to be shown instead of the folder icon.
I.e. when browsing by folder a folder jpg today is used for all files inside the folder, which is nice for TV Serial. One folder.jpg is copied to the folder and all files are shown with the same jpg. However it would be nice if the folder itself is shown with that picture.

On my PS3 there are different Navigation trees shown for Foto, Music, Video, Games etc. The Twonky Server is shown in the tree for Foto, Music & Video. But when selecting the Twonky server in the 'Foto' section of the PS3, Twonky is showing his own tree with Foto, Music & Video however you cannot select i.e. the Music tree in the 'Foto' section of the PS3 - you will get a 'no files' message as there are no pictures in the Music tree of Twonky.
It would be nice if Twonky would offer only the 'Foto' tree in the 'Foto' section of the PS3, the 'Music' tree in the 'Music' section of the PS3 and so on. The other navigation tree need to be suppressed.
Not sure if this is something Twonky need to implement ot if this is something Sony would need to work on.

prmusic

DaemonBeetle
AV Hardware:Plex Media Server, Samsung Smart TV (2009 and 2013)

Post by DaemonBeetle » Wed May 12, 2010 8:38 pm

prmusic wrote: Version 6.0 beta 3 supports AlbumArt for Movie files - which is a big step forward. The jpg has to be named the same way as the movie file. Additionally it would be great if you can apply a folder.jpg to be shown instead of the folder icon.
I.e. when browsing by folder a folder jpg today is used for all files inside the folder, which is nice for TV Serial. One folder.jpg is copied to the folder and all files are shown with the same jpg. However it would be nice if the folder itself is shown with that picture.
Can I second that - it would mean that once I've set up the folder for XBMC I don't have to do anything for Twonky.

prmusic

Post by prmusic » Thu May 13, 2010 1:11 pm

DaemonBeetle wrote: Can I second that - it would mean that once I've set up the folder for XBMC I don't have to do anything for Twonky.
Not sure what you mean by this statement...

prmusic

DaemonBeetle
AV Hardware:Plex Media Server, Samsung Smart TV (2009 and 2013)

Post by DaemonBeetle » Thu May 13, 2010 3:17 pm

XBMC uses files in folders called "folder.jpg" and "fanart.jpg" to attach images to folders. See their documentation.

As I use XBMC for a subset of my media this would mean that once I've set up the thumbnails for XBMC then they're also set up for Twonky.

sdkoenig
AV Hardware:Main ones: QNAP 239 Pro II + Twonky Media Server v.* + Denon AVR 3808

"Beam" Functionality for Server interface

Post by sdkoenig » Fri May 14, 2010 6:57 pm

Hi,

I really like the idea of Beam - but it only works while the browser is open.
Why not integrate such functionality in the web-interface of the Twonky-Server (+API?). This way one could select the favourite album, artist,.., select the playback device(s) in the network and hit play. Continous playback would not be a problem. The music could be controlled with various devices (pc, mobile phones with browsers, mobile apps,...)
This really is the key-peace I am missing at home! (A good iphone, ipad interface would be perfect ;-) )

Sebastian

PeeBee
AV Hardware:Buffalo LS Pro; PS3; Samsung LE37B650

Re: "Beam" Functionality for Server interface

Post by PeeBee » Sat May 15, 2010 8:36 pm

sdkoenig wrote:Hi,

I really like the idea of Beam - but it only works while the browser is open.
Why not integrate such functionality in the web-interface of the Twonky-Server (+API?).
If you have the TMS Media Browser web interface open then haven't you also got a browser open?

Open the web interface in your browser then and navigate to your media, switch on TwonkyBeam and use Beam to push media to your selected Media Renderer.

You can open the web interface on an iPhone or other mobile device - I use my iPod Touch. I suppose what you can't do is then push media using Beam-like functionality as that needs Beam to be installed as an add-in to the browser. iPhone/iPod Touch use Safari as a browser and if Beam was available for Safari that might work. Although I doubt that Apple will let add-ins be installed onto their mobile Safari browser.

[OT] What about an iPhone/iPod/iPad app with Beam functionality built-in? Now that would be good. I could sit down in the TV room, search for media and then push it straight to my TV. The main reason I don't use Beam much at the moment is because I'd have to find the media upstairs where my PC is then rush downstairs to the TV.

PB
Last edited by PeeBee on Sun May 23, 2010 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samsung LE37B650T2WXXU; Liteon 5055GDL+ HDD/DVD Recorder; Playstation 3; Iomega Screenplay HD 500GB; Buffalo Linkstation Pro LS-320GL (running Twonky 6.0.30, SqueezeBox Server 7.6 and acting as a Print Server)

ahchaugoh
AV Hardware:Samsung LED 7000
Synology 209
Windows 7 Ultimate

Re: Support of subtitles

Post by ahchaugoh » Sun May 23, 2010 4:35 am

[quote="pem"]When subtitles (srt) exists with the same name as the movie, it would be nice to have them included in the stream.[/quote]

Fully support! Such function already found in my Synology NAS.

wullux
AV Hardware:Qnap TS-119
Onkyo TX

Fast forward and rewind of FLAC files

Post by wullux » Thu May 27, 2010 7:48 am

Please add fast forward and rewind support for FLAC files!
Thanks!

cpicchio
AV Hardware:QNAP 109 Pro - PS3 - Denon 4308

Post by cpicchio » Mon May 31, 2010 12:37 am

Please sort the file by track number (or file name) instead of sorting files by track name when you browse the music by folder. It allows to play album in the right order! (it was a 4.x feature witch XM=IGNORESORT option in configuration file).

ocoro02
AV Hardware:Linn Akurate DS, Linn KinskyDesktop, PlugPlayer

Post by ocoro02 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:45 pm

Ability to ignore the 'The' when sorting artist/albumartist - e.g 'The Beatles' appears under 'B'. Asset does this and I believe TMS4 did?

Enable alpha-grouping to take account of numeric values (or rather non-alphabetical) as well as alphabetical. Currently albumArtist[1] for '10cc' appears under 'A'.

Also goes without saying but another vote fo a browse tree editor. Xml isn't designed for humans to hand edit!

binarymelon
AV Hardware:Server: iMac 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Clients: 60GB (Upgraded to 250GB) Launch PS3 (FW 3.30)

Post by binarymelon » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:03 am

64-bit for Mac would be nice.

tcviper
AV Hardware:PS3, XBOX360, HP Homeserver, Dell XPS730X, Bravia TV

Post by tcviper » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:28 am

On the fly transcoding built in for example to play MKV files on a PS3.

Otacon
AV Hardware:Xbox 360

Post by Otacon » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:34 pm

Podcast support :) Add an rss feed url to twonky, it fetched the most recent x podcasts from that stream and adds them to the library. It regularly polls for new releases and deletes old ones as new ones come in.

frankwbb
AV Hardware:Noxon Radio
Noxon iRadio Cube
Freecom Musicpal

Post by frankwbb » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:40 pm

Please add a random- and repeat function in the flash interface in Version 6. :D

Best regards
frankwbb

snipehunt
AV Hardware:Twonky 4.4.1.8
Windows Vista
Linksys WMB11
Xbox360

Post by snipehunt » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:17 am

Please add playlist files to the database as the playlist is scanned.
One of the challenges I've run into is the amount of time it takes to scan a library (130k tracks). This issue alone is not something that I expect addressed. The feature I would like to see is that playlist files are added to the db prior to the entire scan completes.

Current behavior:
Content scan begins
Scan finds a playlist
Playlist is added to the db, but is not yet accessible to be played.
Scan completes
Playlist files are now accesible

Requested behavior:
Content scan begins
Scan finds a playlist
Playlist and files from that playlist are added to the db.
Streaming can begin on that playlist
Scan continues

grreeny
AV Hardware:zyxel dma1000, ps3, xbox 360

Post by grreeny » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:16 pm

Hi,

Some things that I would really like to see..

Choose which folders to rescan or watch (ie if I add 1 video I dont want it to rescan my 8000+ photos and it can take a long time)
External Video Play Lists (So I dont loose my playlists if I need to do a full restall for any reason)
More meta data on videos (Director, actors, genrera, age rating etc and be able to list videos by this and have security so 15+ films cant be played on Sons XBox)

After this I think my life will be complete! :)

Warwolf
AV Hardware:Panasonic P42G15

Post by Warwolf » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:43 pm

I'd like to see functionality to prevent Windows from hibernating/suspending when Twonky Server is streaming a file.

Salvatore

Configuration of the tree.

Post by Salvatore » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:29 am

Please add the configuration of the tree like 4.x version.
I have a lot of files and this feature is usefull!
I not understand because this features was removed.

Cybertex
AV Hardware:Asus Notebook Win7 Home Premium
Loewe Connect TV

Request for automatic server start and stop

Post by Cybertex » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:07 pm

I'm using Twonky Server for my TV. Needless to say that there are files in my database which are not dedicated to my kids.
So every time I want to access adult files, I have to go to the PC and start the server. Later I have to do this again to stop the server to avoid that the kids will have access to adult content.
Would be nice to have the ability to do this automatically. In the most simple way, it would be great just to define a "start time" and a "stop time".
Improved version might be that the automatic start/stop could be defined to single folders. Maybe kid content is available 24h and adult content just for a specific time in the evening.

Regards

grreeny
AV Hardware:zyxel dma1000, ps3, xbox 360

Post by grreeny » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:14 am

Would like to be able to send commands to my PC such as Shutdown.

Brinki
AV Hardware:Maxtor Central Axis 1TB ( MSS II 3.5.74 ) with Twonky Mediaserver 5.1.3
Conduits Pocket Player 4.1 Windos Mobile as Client and Remote for DLNA Player
Samsung BD-C5500
Xbox 360
Windows 7 Pc with Cidero A / V Contoller

Post by Brinki » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:36 pm

I would like to have youtube vids on my Xbox 360. mp4 files direktly from youtube are working on my Xbox to get this as a stream ther must be &fmt=18 at the end of the youtube link. Now, the Xbox tries to open flv files wich are not supported

turb0t
AV Hardware:EGreat-R3A, EGreat-R4A

Post by turb0t » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:35 am

Is there any way to index movies ?
Currently I have over 500 films, mostly in xvid format, and they are only listed alphabetically.
I am aware that films in mp4 format, can have tags in them, but as far as I'm aware, no other movie format supports this.
Can Twonky be setup such that for every film I have there is a corresponding xml file with the same name (or even a plain text file for that matter), which will allow me to specify the following information.
Full film title
Age rating
Genre (multiple genre would be good as there are many films that can fit more than one type of genre)
Year/Date released
Director(s)
Actor(s)
Also tag to say that its a sequel in a series of films, eg Godfather,Resident Evil, or if its one from a TV series.

It would be nice to be able to choose my viewing based on the director, instead of a long alphabetical list.

hype70
AV Hardware:Ubuntu 10.04 Server
Sony BDP-S370

Post by hype70 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:50 pm

Hi !

- Support for transcoding RAW picture format like CR2, CRW, NEF would be great ! :D

b95_lun
AV Hardware:Twonkyserver on Ubuntu
Samsung TV with DLNA

Post by b95_lun » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:45 pm

Enable streaming Voddler movies from TwonkyServer would be great.

Gerard
AV Hardware:Linux server with Roku music player.

Post by Gerard » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:33 pm

I would also like to see PEF (Pentax) RAW format!

Thanks!

kisho
AV Hardware:My Bookworld 1Tb (Blue Light Edition)
Ps3 Slim

Post by kisho » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:17 pm

Hello!!
I agree with prmusic:
1.- Album art also for folder
2.- Get rid of the Music, Video, Picture menu (In PS3 you can select each of this directly so this sub menu is not needed)
3.- Posibility to customize navigation tree (similar to TMS 4).

Thanks for listening to custommers opinions. Sadly not everyone do that!!

I love Twonky Media Server. It's the best buy I've done!

phred
AV Hardware:QNAP TS-101 w TwonkyMedia server 4.4.6
Windows Home Server w TwonkyMedia server 6.0.23
D-Link DIR 635 + D-Link DIR 655
Soundbridge M1000
Soundbridge M1001
Soundbridge M2000

Re: Make -1 functionality on MSS+ work

Post by phred » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:38 am

Kos wrote:Scanning automatically for new content when new content is stored on the NAS would be sooooooooooo nice. (The -1 functionality isn't working today).

Kos
+1

..or.. if it would be possible to set the server to rescan the directories at a specific time every hour/day/week (just not an interval)

/ phred

RayX9500
AV Hardware:3XKISS 1600
4X Windows 7 laptops
1X Atom D510 7 X64 server with Twonky Server 6

Post by RayX9500 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:03 am

Not sure if this has been asked but can you add fullscreen and maximize to the flash video player in TMS ?

Would be great for streaming mp4 to xp computers without installing anything.

Bambo
AV Hardware:WHS, WDTV live, W7

Post by Bambo » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:43 am

use of id3tag artistsortorder

tcviper
AV Hardware:PS3, XBOX360, HP Homeserver, Dell XPS730X, Bravia TV

Post by tcviper » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:27 pm

Hello Twonky team,

I hope that with this post you will finally (hopefully) reply and see if you can help us users out.

I have noticed 3 major things with Twonky server that would seriously need some attention.

1) Autotranscoding support for MKV x.264
A lot of people have Playstation 3 devices or Xboxes in their homes and if you use your own homeserver with harddrives in it for all the movies and music, a lot of people will probably also have MKV / .x264 files (bluray).
It would be handy if, just like other mediaservers, Twonky could auto transcode MKV's and other unsupported formats so you can directly play the files on your Bravia TV, PS3 or XBOX.

2) Allow to browse and play from ZIP/RAR files
Another nice feature would be the option to browse directly in a zip or rar file (on the device that connects to twonky) like the ps3, xbox or whatever, and would then allow us to play a .iso file for example without having to extract all zip/rar files.

3) Web support
In a previous version we could set an external IP so we can browse our libraries from another place aswell, now with Twonky 6, there is no way to be able to connect to the Twonky stuff from an external internet location (it simply thinks it should browse to a local 192.168.x.x IP). Can this please be fixed so we can finally also access our stuff from home again?

I am sure that if these things can get done, people even want to pay for it (at least I would).

Thank you and hope someone from the Twonky team will pick this up!

- Michiel

yang
AV Hardware:Linux, PS3, Samsung 650C, PSP, Telegent TG-100

Post by yang » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:44 am

Hierarchical Keywords in exif

While the keyword support works great, an additional option would be to build a tree with the hierarchical keywords. The EXIF tag name is mp.lr.hierarchicalSubject.

It got more and more popular to use this tag in addition to the keywords to build custom hierarchies like in my case all images have three hierarchies
Who->Family->Yang
Where->Spain->Madrid
What->Vacation

Browsing by that hierarchy turned out to be very helpful (implemented that in mediatomb)

yang

Post by yang » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:57 am

Searching in large image databases requires combinations of categories.

Imagine a typical photo, it has lots of exif tags. Year, Keywords, Rating, etc
The major advantage if that is you have multiple dimensions. With folders you can have one dimension only, e.g. 2010/Vacation/Spain.

But what are your typical list of photos you want to view?
Show me all photos of 2010. Good, no problem.
Show me all photos of 2010 with a rating=5. Not possible, you can either do this or that.
Show me all photos with the keyword=Spain and rating=5. I have been there twice.
Show me all good photos of my daughter, meaning keyword=Diana and rating>=4.

So basically what I am asking for is to show the directories of other metadata in addition. Example: You opened the structure rating, navigated to 5* ratings, you see all the 400 photos as of today. Plus you see some subfolders like year, keywords etc. This way you can AND the conditions together and navigate within 10'000s of photos average people have these days.

yang

Post by yang » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:23 am

Geotagged based browsing

Today more and more photos have geotags to know where they have been taken from, especially with DSLRs. (I use a Nikon D300 with the foolography bluetooth plug to connect any bluetooth GPS receiver to the camera)

The big question is, how can you browse a map using the a DLNA client? By combining multiple existing functionalities...

First step would be to read the Long/Lat information from the EXIF data and group the photos together at multiple levels: world, 1000km, 100km, 10km. You will find 1000s of photos at the same location, the place you are living, in the vincinity, somewhere else, a few long the route.
Now you build a hierarchy with all photos within a certain area like world -> Spain(1000km) -> Madrid (100km) -> Madrid(10km) -> all photos with GPS coords in that area.
If just a handful of pictures are within a parent region a more detailed region does not make sense, e.g. I have taken a photo from the plane, so we show that as direct child of the Spain folder, not creating more detailed folders.
Each folder is shown in the streaming client with an image - if possible - an image created by google maps. There is an API call in google maps to download a jpeg of a map region you specified in the API call.
In addition this map is added as a regular image to the folder. So in the Spain folder you would see the Madrid sub folder, plus the one picture taken from the plane plus the image downloaded from google maps.

Although this is not so imortant today, it would be a great differentiator.