customized sort order within each branch?

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
rem
customized sort order within each branch?

Post by rem » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:13 pm

hi,

i know that this isn't much of a problem for most. but for me, if i select and play all songs by an artist, i'd like the queue to be grouped by album and then by track order within each album. currently, this is not possible. it plays all songs by the artist in alphabetical order, ignoring album affilation and track order.

i'd like to submit a feature request for twonky to be able to do this, much like itunes' sort structure (artist-->album-->track).

i know that you can play in track order, but that's only on a per album basis. what i'd like to do is to be able to play by a single artist...all albums...in track order per album.

thanks,
hue.
twonky 4.3 on mss+ & twonky 5 on winxp sp3
serving 2 roku soundbridges & 1 ps3

Torch

Post by Torch » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:42 am

For my situation i would solve this wish like this: Define an access path artist -> album in the music tree (in the configuration pages of twonkyvision).

On my player (Philips SLA5520) i select this access path in twonky's main menu and browse to the artist i want to hear. Then i press play on the artist. The player is starting to play with the first track of the first album and play's all tracks to the last track of the last album

I don't know if you player is capable of doing so, but it's worth trying.

btw. because this way you are working on album basis, twonky plays the right track order within an album by itself i assume.

btw 2: for myself i have defined an access path artist -> year -> album, so the albums can be found/played in chronoligical order.
NSLU2(Turboslug) unslung 6.8, Philips streamium SL300i & SLA5520

rem

Post by rem » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:44 am

sorry, i tried as you suggested. it's a no go. still plays in alphabetical order by song name, regardless of what song belongs to what album.

the only way to play by track order is to only choose one album at a time. it won't work when you select the artist and hit play.
twonky 4.3 on mss+ & twonky 5 on winxp sp3
serving 2 roku soundbridges & 1 ps3

emalvick

Post by emalvick » Wed May 23, 2007 4:03 pm

My solution to this issue has been to use playlists. I can create a playlist of each artist with each album in chronological order and by track so I can listen to certain artists in order from their earliest releases to their latest. It works quite well.

Erik

S13dg3

Post by S13dg3 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:16 am

I too have had to use playlists now that I've upgraded to 4.3.

However, I never had this issue when I was using the previous version of TwonkyMusic.

My music is organized into folders, sorted by original track order, but now all the music's in a mess. Searching by Playlist is slow going when you have hundreds of albums in the list.