Twonkey 4.3 Now I can't See my iTunes Library Content

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
MattCB
Twonkey 4.3 Now I can't See my iTunes Library Content

Post by MattCB » Tue May 22, 2007 7:50 pm

Upgraded to 4.3 and made sure I noted down the path to muy iTunes Library file. Uninstalled old version and installed 4.3.

I have browsed to my iTunes Library file, but it doesn't scan the directory for my music files.

Any suggestions?

superfly

Post by superfly » Wed May 30, 2007 2:30 pm

i am having the exact same problem.

superfly

Post by superfly » Wed May 30, 2007 2:56 pm

tried deleting xml library and rebuild technique without success

bluheim

Post by bluheim » Wed May 30, 2007 5:47 pm

Same problem here. With Mac version.

MattCB

Post by MattCB » Wed May 30, 2007 7:48 pm

I have managed to get it working, though I am not completely convinced that it is the complete and correct solution, but it works for me!

I had set-up the External Location, which mapped to my iTunes library. The change I made was to go to the Sharing option and add the link to where the MP3 files were sitting. The best thing is, I now see the files and I still have access to my Playlists created in iTunes.

Hope that makes sense

Firestorm

Post by Firestorm » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:40 pm

It's unfortunate that we have to specify a share directory to pick up files that are already registered in the iTunes library. Although I see from the logs that Twonky is scanning all of the files registered in the iTunes library, they don't show in the Twonky Mediabrowser (or from external clients obviously). This functionality was broken in version 4.2 and remains broken in the 4.4 beta. Specifying the directories is not a solution - it's a workaround to the problem that was introduced. I like the ability to not have Twonky scan directories and instead refer to the iTunes library where all my desired content is registered - I hope that this is fixed soon.

twonky-christian
Lynx Technology Staff
AV Hardware:PC

Post by twonky-christian » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:25 pm

This will not be fixed as it was done by intention!

The iTunes library is moved arround and unreliable regarding file locations.

It does not contain all videos and pictures as well

It is just anb addon for us to improve the metadata - but it has been proven that it is not a good source for filenames

Firestorm

Post by Firestorm » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:14 am

Thanks for the information Christian - I wasn't aware this was done on purpose. Why is there still an option to "Detect and use iTunes's playlist and music database"? Why do the logs show that all of the content in my iTunes database is scanned if it isn't used? How is the iTunes database used to improve the metadata as you suggest?

Please don't misunderstand me - I love TwonkyMedia. Please keep up your efforts to add features and support for different clients.

twonky-christian
Lynx Technology Staff
AV Hardware:PC

Post by twonky-christian » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:24 am

Hi,

no problem - obviously we lack on documentation here :shock:

We use the file scan as a base.

We use iTunes to improve
- Album, Artist, Titel, Duration info
- Playlists!
- Rating

We have had the problem that the iTunes DB has been moved arround and that the server was not able to find any of the files referenced in the iTunes DB.

superfly

Post by superfly » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:38 am

so what was the last revision that didn't require listing the file location of the music files ( and only required listing the location of the xml file)?

MattCB

Post by MattCB » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:11 pm

superfly wrote:so what was the last revision that didn't require listing the file location of the music files ( and only required listing the location of the xml file)?
I think it was 4.1