4.4 Beta 1 with PS3 support released

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
Coach Ota

Post by Coach Ota » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:39 am

I've updated to 4.4b2 and things are working pretty well except I'm still unable to get MPEG-4 AAC working. Any suggestions? I've done the usual content rescans and database rebuilds.

I've tested both MP3 and WMA and they show up and stream fine. The AAC audio files I'm trying to get working do copy over and play back fine locally on my PS3. They're in a standard MP4 container, AAC, 44.1kHz, 128kbps with .mp4 extension. Getting information on the files through the PS3's DLNA browser show "-" for codec, bitrate and size fields.

Since I made the choice (for good or bad) to rip my CDs as AAC, I hope this is resolvable.

stefvienna

Post by stefvienna » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:13 pm

Hi Great!

Any chance to see version 4.4 for the Maxtor Shared Storage anytime soon?

Cheers, Stefan!

[quote="mgillespie"]What's new in Version 4.4
-------------------------

Changes:
o changed DSM-320 communication with the server as the device crashed from time to time

Video_newb

Post by Video_newb » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:35 pm

Coach, I think this is a limitation of twonky right now as they don't seem to support mp4 audio files. Hopefully this will change soon.

Firestorm

Post by Firestorm » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:20 pm

It's not a big deal, but I want to mention that starting with 4.2 and in the 4.4 beta my D-Link DSM-320 and XBOX 360 see the name of my Twonky server in all uppercase despite specifying it with title case in the Twonky configuration page.

twonky-christian
Lynx Technology Staff
AV Hardware:PC

Post by twonky-christian » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:39 pm

Hi,

we have now released 4.4 Beta 3:
http://www.twonkyvision.com/Download/Tw ... x-4-4.html

new Features:
+ PS3 support (MP3,JPG,MPEG1,MPEG2,some MPEG4), no Internet Radio possible
+ replaced JavaScript mediabrowser by generated HTML pages (webbrowse)
+ new remote access via web browser
set dyndns in .ini file to http://myhome.dyndns.org:9100
set remoteport in .ini file to 9100
forward 9100 on the firewall to the server
use http://myhome.dynfns.org:9100/webbrowse to access content
you should also set username and pwd on the config pages for secure access
you may use stunnel as well to protect the access even more...

Changes:
o changed DSM-320 communication with the server as the device crashed from time to time
o added duration for most mpeg files, this enables the PS3 to FF/REW

Bug fixes:
- sort criteria for playlists fixed
- artist removed from default sort criteria
- date removed from default sort criteria
- fixed device description
- fixed default extension for video playlists
- fixed m4v mime type
- fixed randomize playlists
- ts files should work now on PS3
- fixed duration for mp3 with large headers

Thanks
Christian

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:14 pm

Christian, you might want to add WMA to the list of supported formats streamed to PS3, as that also works fine...
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

MrENGLISH

Post by MrENGLISH » Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:42 pm

The OS X download appears to be missing ???

sippp5555

Post by sippp5555 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:52 pm

hi
since about 9pm last night i just get: "object not found" when i try to download the osx version of the new beta.

please please sort this out, as i am dying to stream my mp4s!!

thanks for all the support

randyth

Re: HP Media Vault version

Post by randyth » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:56 am

chasi wrote:Is there a version of the 4.4 beta that can be used on the HP Media Vault
(MIP Little Endian)?
...and perhaps the QNAP TS-101... please!

-Randy

philbert

Fast Forward PS3

Post by philbert » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:57 am

Hi Christian,

- I have updated my Qnap TS-109 Pro with new firmware, which includes the new Twonky release.

this is great! - Now I can do 10 x fast forward on my ps3, streaming Mpeg2 video files. Awesome!

Question: Exactly which MP4 formats is now supported on the PS3?
- I have tried to encoded with different programs, but my mp4-files appears on the ps3 as "unsupported data".

Thanks in advance

Jesper - Denmark

Epstein

Re: Fast Forward PS3

Post by Epstein » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:17 am

philbert wrote:Hi Christian,

- I have updated my Qnap TS-109 Pro with new firmware, which includes the new Twonky release.

this is great! - Now I can do 10 x fast forward on my ps3, streaming Mpeg2 video files. Awesome!

- I have tried to encoded with different programs, but my mp4-files appears on the ps3 as "unsupported data".

Thanks in advance

Jesper - Denmark
There's three very important steps in getting your qnap to work flawlessly with your PS3.

1) Encode the movie in a supported format... Personally I recommend the .264 720p AVC/MP4 format. There's several programs that do this, PS3Video9 is free and pretty fast.

2) Make sure you use a firmware version 1.1.1 or newer that includes TwonkyVision 4.4.2 or newer.

3) Make sure that your PS3 is selected as a PS3 in the Twonky client/security settings.

-- Christian (also from Denmark)

cbhwr

Re: Fast Forward PS3

Post by cbhwr » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:40 pm

philbert wrote:Hi Christian,

Thanks in advance

Jesper - Denmark
MPEG4 Baseline ASP/H.263 Video and High Profile Level 4.1 AVC/H.262 (MPEG4 Part 10). Dont bother with anything but AVC/H264. You do not need to encode at 720p if the source is different, as the scaling (Software-based) in the PS3 is actually quite good. Some really weird resolutions may fail on playback though. Also, if you plan on using the video with a PSP, level 3.1 is the maximum. I recommend x264 possibly using megui, but only because I read a report stating that Video9 software was infected with nasties (No source, may be a single release). Just about any setting you throw at the x264 encoder will work on the PS3 as long as it is within the level 4.1 restricitions. Nero might also have a PS3 profile by now.

Audio, you should stick to a high-bitrate AAC or AAC-HE encoding. FAAC should do nicely, as should the Video9 programs.

Muxing for MPEG4 I can suggest MP4Box.

For setting tags I suggest using AtomicParsley - NO idea if the Video9 programs does this. AP can even set iTunes specific tags and several ones Twonky has still to support.

You can find more about this on Doom9.org :D

/Nc - uhm, originally from Denmark.