Twonky 8.2 Ignoring choice of NavTree for Windows

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
steamhead
Twonky 8.2 Ignoring choice of NavTree for Windows

Post by steamhead » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:19 am

After many years of uneventful service from Twonky 6.0.30 I took the plunge and tried the latest version.

On the whole an uneventful upgrade, but it appears to be ignoring my choice of NavTree for browsing through a web browser, be that Firefox, IE or Edge, they all show what I assume is the Advanced View (since it has Artist index), regardless of what I choose. I chose "By Folder" as a primitive start point to eventually port my own NavTree from 6.0.30, but this problem is happening out of the box before I've got as far as defining my own.

I've checked "Devices" and they all show as By Folder, so it's not that. Yet if I fire up my PS3 or LG Blu-Ray player it shows me the content "By Folder" just as requested.

The platform for the browser doesn't seem to matter a jot, Windows 7, Red Hat Linux or Windows 10 (which reports as Windows 7/8 in clients) all seem to ignore the NavTree. Which is really annoying as when customising a NavTree, the easiest place to test it is on a browser on the machine you're doing the edits.

The server on which Twonky is installed is Ubuntu 14.04.01 (which Twonky 6.0.30 was running on happily).

steamhead

Re: Twonky 8.2 Ignoring choice of NavTree for Windows

Post by steamhead » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:53 pm

Slight update on my original diagnosis. Having added some new containers to the view-definitions.xml file I can clarify that it's not exactly ignoring the view I choose, but simply using every container in the view-definitions.xml file and not respecting the <link> tags in whatever view I suggest. As now it's showing all the supplied containers plus all my new ones

Twonky_Marco
AV Hardware:WDTV Live, PS3, Twonky Server

Post by Twonky_Marco » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:22 pm

Hi,

I'm sorry but you cannot change the view of the webUI. The webUi is set to Advanced View.
You can only change the view for external devices.

Regards,
Marco

steamhead

Post by steamhead » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:22 am

If that's the case, why when I view via the webUI on an external Windows device does it add a device to my list to represent that, which has the ability to set a specific "Navigation type" for that device? If you can't change it, that needs to be fixed so it doesn't lead the user into believing that the software WILL allow you to change the view.

But that's not what is happening here, it's NOT showing me the Advanced view, it's showing me ALL the containers in the view file, even if they're not in the Advanced view. So if it was your intention to display the Advanced view, it's not working.

I'm curious as to WHY you can't set the view for the WebUI? For anyone needing to customise a view, which is basically anyone with a large or varied library, being able to test that view on the Web Browser where you are editing it would be a very real benefit.

Twonky_Marco
AV Hardware:WDTV Live, PS3, Twonky Server

Post by Twonky_Marco » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:34 am

The device you see in the list is probably for the Windows Media Player on that PC. It has nothing to do with the webUI.

I will forward your suggestion regarding the ability to configure the view of the webUI to the development team.

You could also use a tool like UPnP inspector to check the changes you did to your view.
http://coherence.beebits.net/wiki/UPnP-Inspector