PS3 Unsupported Data - Possible Cause....

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.
PS3 Unsupported Data - Possible Cause....

Post by mgillespie » Thu May 31, 2007 7:44 pm

Everything has been fine for me since 4.4 Beta 2 and encoding my movies in the correct format.

However, this evening, previously working movies, came up with Unsupported Data.

It was because the movies live on a USB drive, that was in low power state, and took a small while to spin up. Perhaps PS3 is not giving enough time before it decides it's not a valid format.

Once the disk has spun up, if I went to music, and back to movies, the movies played fine as the disk was now spinning.

I suspect files on the local disk are fine, but on removable storage (like my Seagate USB storage) may exhibit this....
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

twonky-christian
Lynx Technology Staff
AV Hardware:PC

Post by twonky-christian » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:38 pm

yep - on browse the PS3 tries to get the head of each movie - quite network intensive - and if it does not get the answer very fast it gives up quite easily

Mutsch

Post by Mutsch » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:11 pm

This is great news. Anything you can do on the behalf of Twonky? Or do we need to report this to Sony? The only other issues with the PS3 are the random sort order and the useless media folders (showing video & images even when you are browsing music). Did I miss anything?

jensph

Post by jensph » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:29 pm

Is it the PS3's fault for not showing MP3 ablum art when streaming?

Album art shows up fine when browsing the MP3s on the PS3's hard drive.

Daz_Genetic

Post by Daz_Genetic » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:16 am

jensph wrote:Is it the PS3's fault for not showing MP3 ablum art when streaming?

Album art shows up fine when browsing the MP3s on the PS3's hard drive.
Definitely NOT the PS3's fault. Album art works in WMP11's server and with Nero MediaHome.

Also, the sort order of songs appears to vary per server, so I'm assuming that it's more to do with the server than to do with the PS3.

twonky-christian
Lynx Technology Staff

Post by twonky-christian » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:09 am

we did not get album art with WMC from VISTA

which WMC are you using / which file format ?

Mutsch

Post by Mutsch » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:56 pm

On more question: if the MP4 replay problems are due to some timing issues, why do MPGs play seemlessly on my PS3? Is there a different header handling used for MP4 vs. MPGs.

Btw, I am using TwonkyVision MediaServer on my MSS NAS and a 54MB Wireless router from Netgear

twonky-christian
Lynx Technology Staff

Post by twonky-christian » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:35 pm

Never ever use wireless for steaming :?

It will change channels here and there - every time another wireless is detected and kill the current stream

Mutsch

Post by Mutsch » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:09 am

Hey, thanks for the advice! I am currently in the process of installing an 30m ethernet cable in-wall between my Internet access and my living room. That was really a quick fix :D

cbhwr

Post by cbhwr » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:19 pm

twonky-christian wrote:Never ever use wireless for steaming :?

It will change channels here and there - every time another wireless is detected and kill the current stream
Scan the area, and select an un-used channel.
Turn on Stability (product-dependant).
Set AP to be more aggressive with refreshes and similar.
Use clients that are a bit resilient (cache data for 2-3 seconds)

Besides if the UPnP client is timing out like above, then its misbehaving - complain to manufacturer. Requests should be honored for 30 seconds.

Me? Part wired, part wireless. Just shame that I Must use a really bad Philips router (Belgacom .. "smells badly").

Cheers,
Nc.

Mutsch

Post by Mutsch » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:07 pm

Well, as far as I can say there is pretty much no other WLAN in my vicinity and my WLAN connection has so far been very stable and I am very very rarely experiencing any dropouts. Nothing that would really push me to go wired ;-)

But coming back to my initial question: what's the difference between those MPEG files that perfectly stream across my LAN whereas the MP4s show up as corrupted file format? Can it be that UPnP is such a nitpicker when it comes to timing?

jensph

Post by jensph » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:28 pm

twonky-christian wrote:we did not get album art with WMC from VISTA

which WMC are you using / which file format ?
I didn't follow that comment.

Will album art be supported at some point?

I don't see album art when streaming an MP3 file to a PS3. That same MP3 file on the PS3's drive does show the ablum art.