TwonkyVision & last.fm

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
MSA
TwonkyVision & last.fm

Post by MSA » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:04 am

Ich beabsichtige, mir in Kürze ein(en) Noxon 2 Audio zuzulegen. Bisher spiele ich meine Musik direkt am PC mit Winamp ab und hatte bis vor ein paar Monaten im Wohnzimmer eine Squeezebox im Einsatz. Mit beiden war (ist) es mittels Plug-In möglich, die gespielten Titel zu last.fm (http://www.last.fm) zu übermitteln. Gibt es eine solche Funktion auch mit dem TwonkyVision-Media-Server?

I will buy a Noxon 2 Audio in the next time. Actually I listen to music on my PC with Winamp and did use a Squeezebox in my living room. With these devices I could submit the music I listened to last.fm (http://www.last.fm) using a plugin. Is this also possible with the TwonkyVision-Media-Server?

twonky-christian
Lynx Technology Staff
AV Hardware:PC

Post by twonky-christian » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:13 am

sorry - no

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:38 am

I was investigating the possibility of writing a LastFM plugin, or linux shell script. I came up on several problems.

The plugin API does not provide track change callbacks, or currently playing information :-(

I considered trying to parse the RSS feed produced by the Twonkyserver, but the RSS feed output is buggy :-(
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

MSA

Post by MSA » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:18 pm

Thanks for your answers. I would like to see last.fm supported, so will there be an implementation in upcoming versions of the MediaServer? Or will it be possible to do this with a plugin?

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client

Post by mgillespie » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:05 pm

LastFM support really is the missing part of the puzzle for me. It means I can play things on my PS3, PC(mediabrowser), and Noxon clients arond the house, and my LastFM profile would be a consoloted database of my listening habbits, and recommend new music, based on REAL data of what I like.

It's also something that NONE of the other DLNA/UPnP mediaservers offer.... (hint, hint....)

Even if twonky could output a scrobbler.log file, that can used via a cron job and a script like thos one: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=190624

For the unitiated, have a play with Last.FM, and Windows Media player... It's awesome... http://www.last.fm/
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

MSA

Post by MSA » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:00 pm

The not implemented support for last.fm will probably be the reason for me to buy another network player than the noxon.

I like last.fm very much, because I like statistics. :wink: And as you said, Mark, it's awesome.

sansp00

Post by sansp00 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:11 pm

Aside some homemade (haven't seen last.fm enabled/embedded device) scripts to run it (seen it for the Roku), I doubt you'll find a suitable solution right now. I don't know your programming skills, but maybe the PHP app done for the Roku units may be 'ported' (if it does not already work) for your device ...

Patrick S.
Roku HD1000 (Revived!), R1000, M1001 x2
Axiom M50Ti, QS4, CTC-20
D-BOX David 301
Yamaha RXV596, CDC-675, KXW492
JVC XVS40, HRVP56U, AV27D302
Logitech Harmony 880
Linksys NSLU2 x2 (320gig & 250gig W.D.)
Netgear WGR614,GS608,GS605 x3

mgillespie
2x Noxon V2 audio client

Post by mgillespie » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:31 pm

sansp00 wrote:Aside some homemade (haven't seen last.fm enabled/embedded device) scripts to run it (seen it for the Roku), I doubt you'll find a suitable solution right now. I don't know your programming skills, but maybe the PHP app done for the Roku units may be 'ported' (if it does not already work) for your device ...

Patrick S.
I could/would be more that happy to write a plugin, but unfortunatly, TwonkyMedia does not give enough info to the plugins to enable this. The RSS feed could be parsed, but it's buggy.

At the end of the day, I am hoping the Twonky guys see how awesome Last.FM is, and include support in the client, or offical plugin... There is a well documented SDK at the LastFM/AudioScrobber site.

Social networking is the way forward, and LastFM is one of the best, as it's background is firmly music based.

rotsa
AV Hardware:Denon AVR-3808, Netgear MP-101, Lot's of PC's laying around.
Ubuntu server in the wardrobe running Twonkymedia...

Post by rotsa » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:27 am

I totally agree, a scrobbling function from twonky to last.fm would be real great. Today there are to many clients that cant do this and then to put it on the server itself would do the trick!

mgillespie
2x Noxon V2 audio client

Post by mgillespie » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:00 pm

Any official work on this from Twonky's end?

I really want this, and am prepared to sit down and write a parser for the XML output from Twonkymedia.

However, I don't want to do this, if there is official support in the pipeline (duplication of effort), and using the XML PLaylist output is not really the most robust way of doing this, having the server support Last.FM natively would be a far better solution...