Custom Video Tree

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
dob99
Custom Video Tree

Post by dob99 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:03 pm

I'm considering upgrading from TwonkyMusic to TwonkyMedia and have been evaluating TwonkyMedia 4.3. The configuration of the Video Tree is not at all clear.

What I want to do is set up a tree based on the folder structure on the filesystem. So, in my videos directory, I have directories for movies, tv, etc. The movies directory just contains the movies, but the TV directory has a directory for each show and then each series. I would like to be able to replicate this on my media player (Philips SLM5500), but can't figure out how.

When I create say "Movies" and "TV" nodes in the Video Tree config, they show up on the SLM, but they both just contain all of the videos. This is pretty much useless.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

agb007

Post by agb007 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:32 pm

Hi,

I don't really remember but doesen't Twonky have "watch folders" as a choice then you run Twonky.
So you can browse the folders.
I know that either Twonky or PMM has it or both.

agron

dob99

Post by dob99 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:31 pm

agb007 wrote:Hi,

I don't really remember but doesen't Twonky have "watch folders" as a choice then you run Twonky.
So you can browse the folders.
I know that either Twonky or PMM has it or both.

agron
PMM has it alright, but I couldn't find anything like it in Twonky.

GregiBoy
AV Hardware:Zensonic Z500 x 2, Ziova CS-505, D-Link DSM-320, iPaq RX3715, TwonkyVision 4.4.3 Windows XP, TVersity

Custom Tree

Post by GregiBoy » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:20 am

I have done something like this.

All my movies are stored by Genre under the main directory that I nominated in Twonky for movies eg \\C22Server\Video with subdirectories under this eg Science Fiction, Action, Drama. I use MSN Movies as the standard to set this genre.

I then created a custom navigation in Twonky and I used "Folder" and then named it as "Genre".

My movies now appear on my players (Zensonic Z500 & Ziova CS-505) as:-

All Videos
Genre

And when I navigate to Genre, all the subfolders show up as "Genre" and when I navigate further all the movies in that genre show up.

Is this the sort of think you were trying to do?

Regards,
Greg

malaki86

Post by malaki86 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:50 pm

Can you do a screenshot of the setup you've created? I have basically the same thing - each drive has the different Genres sorted into folders. I can't get a folder display to show my layout.

As an example:

o:\action
o:\comedy
n:\action
n:\comedy

What I see on the screen using "Folder" with "Folder" selection:

Code: Select all

Root
  |-All
  |-Folder
     |-American Pie Collection (Should be under comedy)
     |-Bad Boys Collection (Should be under action)
What I want to see is:

Code: Select all

Root
  |-All (I could handle if I didn't even see this)
  |-Genre
     |-Action
        |-Bad Boys Collection
     |-Comedy
        |-American Pie Collection
Is it possible to do this? If so, I'd love to see the menu layout to do it. Right now I'm using TVersity but am becoming less and less happy with it.

malaki86

Post by malaki86 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:15 am

I figured out what I was doing wrong.

Initially I was adding each individual genre folder to the shares list. This was giving the "combined" effect.

I went in and just added the root folders for my media shares (n:\, o:\, p:\), set them all for video only and set the type to "Folder". It now displays the list of directories perfectly. I have an Action genre folder on all 3 drives. It "combines" them and I see one Action folder with every action movie from the 3 drives.

Now to put this through it's paces. If it plays as nice as it looks I'll be registering it VERY soon.