(split) Former Mac vs. PC

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
Locked
User avatar
mgillespie
Posts: 1222
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:19 pm
AV Hardware: TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.
Location: UK

Post by mgillespie » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:24 am

srammij wrote:I do understand this... i'm just very disappointed that not one company can get media to stream to the PS3 properly... it's very frustrating.
I think you need to add MAC into that statement, as PC owners are streaming just fine, from Twonky and other programs. And from what I can gather, the problems are the MAC end, not the PS3 end..
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

srammij
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 12:03 am
Contact:

Post by srammij » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:41 am

Let me get this straight... are you saying that the reason this isn't working is because i'm using a mac!? Are you saying this because you hate mac's and you're more inclined to favor Windows?

First of all let me just say... that the reason this isn't working... is because nobody has effectively designed a program for the Mac to properly stream media. That in no way means that Mac is crap.

I can edit full feature movies, HD, i can make my own dvd menus and masters... i can write and edit music on my mac. The mac is MUCH more powerful for doing awesome things such as creating movies... real movies yes!!!!

Are you trying to say that Mac is crap?

I just want to say that i in no way started saying anything about the Mac being better than Windows... i'm only defending it, since it's obvious that you're biased.

Get over it.

The reason there's a problem streaming media, is because there isn't a program that does it properly.

srammij
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 12:03 am
Contact:

Post by srammij » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:42 am

mgillespie wrote:
srammij wrote: I would like to buy this... but it's just too buggy.
You do understand the term Beta? 4.4 is still in Beta.....
MOD DELETION-wideasleep1 Keep on topic please.

yellowdog22
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 3:35 pm

Post by yellowdog22 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:43 am

Whoa! Calm down boys!
My two pence worth is that maybe, just maybe the prgrammers, great as they are and I thank them very much for writing a mac os x version, are not as proficient at coding for mac as they are windows. We have to be patient. Remember that they probably aren't getting any help from apple as they have Apple TV to push. This is not the place for mac v windows argument. I use both mac and pc and I work every day with programmers... don't **** them off it does no good. Personally after 27 years computing experience I prefer a mac. But hey thats me.

User avatar
mgillespie
Posts: 1222
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:19 pm
AV Hardware: TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.
Location: UK

Post by mgillespie » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:18 am

not one company can get media to stream to the PS3 properly
This is obviously untrue, as MANY people are streaming to PS3 without any issues whatsoever... So I am not sure of the point you are trying to make. I simply stated, that perhaps it's MAC users that are having trouble streaming to PS3's
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

sihtnab
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:28 am

Post by sihtnab » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:00 pm

srammij wrote:I do understand this... i'm just very disappointed that not one company can get media to stream to the PS3 properly... it's very frustrating.
I have been using this to stream media ESPECIALLY mp4 and m4v perfectly for the past month. (Audio and pictures work great unless of course they have some kind of DRM on them ... which cannot be helped) .. in fact Twonky is the ONLY software that has worked well for me and the PS3 period ..

the only bug that annoys me is that -1 for the autoscan really doesnt work that well if at all on mac os x to ps3.

sihtnab
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:28 am

Post by sihtnab » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:01 pm

mgillespie wrote:
not one company can get media to stream to the PS3 properly
This is obviously untrue, as MANY people are streaming to PS3 without any issues whatsoever... So I am not sure of the point you are trying to make. I simply stated, that perhaps it's MAC users that are having trouble streaming to PS3's
im on a mac ;) .. as i said no problems here.

sihtnab
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:28 am

Post by sihtnab » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:07 pm

yellowdog22 wrote:Whoa! Calm down boys!
My two pence worth is that maybe, just maybe the prgrammers, great as they are and I thank them very much for writing a mac os x version, are not as proficient at coding for mac as they are windows. We have to be patient. Remember that they probably aren't getting any help from apple as they have Apple TV to push. This is not the place for mac v windows argument. I use both mac and pc and I work every day with programmers... don't **** them off it does no good. Personally after 27 years computing experience I prefer a mac. But hey thats me.
what is it thats not working on a mac? maybe i can help since im totally serious my set up after some futzing is working great.

srammij
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 12:03 am
Contact:

Post by srammij » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:08 pm

mgillespie wrote:
srammij wrote:I do understand this... i'm just very disappointed that not one company can get media to stream to the PS3 properly... it's very frustrating.
I think you need to add MAC into that statement, as PC owners are streaming just fine, from Twonky and other programs. And from what I can gather, the problems are the MAC end, not the PS3 end..
You're right! I should have said, "...i'm just disappointed that not one company can get media to stream to the PS3 properly from a MAC."

The problem is where you say that the problems are the MAC end, not the PS3. I know that the PS3 isn't the problem, it's not the MAC that's the problem. It's the fact that there isn't a program designed to run on Mac to stream media properly without problems.

I was expressing my frustration with this... this didn't need to become a PC vs. Mac discussion, but mgillespie i've seen you in the past Mac bashing and that's what your hinting at again... that the problem is that Mac is being used.

Everything is not working just fine now... when i log in to my machine... i get a safari browser open behind my login window. It never did this before.

longtom
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 8:47 am

Post by longtom » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:49 pm

srammij wrote:
Everything is not working just fine now... when i log in to my machine... i get a safari browser open behind my login window. It never did this before.
Yes, and then Safari is blocked.

VERY Bad Beta Version, has anyone tested it before?!?!

THE REVENGE
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 12:58 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Post by THE REVENGE » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:59 pm

I USE A MAC AND EVERYTHING WORKS FINE WHAT'S THE PROBLEM
STREAMING WORKS GREAT TO PS3

MPEG 1/2/4
.ts files / VIDEO_TS
MP3/4 music files
foto's everything works JUST FINE !!!

IF IT DOES NOT ON YOUR MAC !!

JUST REINSTAL TWONKY 4.4.5 rebuilt your data base under trouble shoothing ! rescan your selected files wait......... a few sec's

AND PRESTO !!!!

if not your router / airport sould have UDP/TCP port's 9000 forwarded Also on your mac's system prefs at sharing and firewall !!!

THE REVENGE
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 12:58 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Post by THE REVENGE » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:03 pm

sihtnab wrote:
srammij wrote:I do understand this... i'm just very disappointed that not one company can get media to stream to the PS3 properly... it's very frustrating.
I have been using this to stream media ESPECIALLY mp4 and m4v perfectly for the past month. (Audio and pictures work great unless of course they have some kind of DRM on them ... which cannot be helped) .. in fact Twonky is the ONLY software that has worked well for me and the PS3 period ..

the only bug that annoys me is that -1 for the autoscan really doesnt work that well if at all on mac os x to ps3.


TRY USING GOOGLE !!!!

type: REMOVE DRM PROTECTION

download and presto you can remove DRM !


on mac USE virtual PC 7 and XP

srammij
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 12:03 am
Contact:

Post by srammij » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:03 pm

THE REVENGE wrote:
sihtnab wrote:
srammij wrote:I do understand this... i'm just very disappointed that not one company can get media to stream to the PS3 properly... it's very frustrating.
I have been using this to stream media ESPECIALLY mp4 and m4v perfectly for the past month. (Audio and pictures work great unless of course they have some kind of DRM on them ... which cannot be helped) .. in fact Twonky is the ONLY software that has worked well for me and the PS3 period ..

the only bug that annoys me is that -1 for the autoscan really doesnt work that well if at all on mac os x to ps3.


TRY USING GOOGLE !!!!

type: REMOVE DRM PROTECTION

download and presto you can remove DRM !


on mac USE virtual PC 7 and XP
Personally i don't have any DRM files, so no problem for me as far as that goes.

Using V PC to emulate XP to get this to work is not an option... seems a bit redundant. I guess you could do that... but why bother?

longtom
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 8:47 am

Post by longtom » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:18 pm

THE REVENGE wrote:I USE A MAC AND EVERYTHING WORKS FINE WHAT'S THE PROBLEM
STREAMING WORKS GREAT TO PS3

MPEG 1/2/4
.ts files / VIDEO_TS
MP3/4 music files
foto's everything works JUST FINE !!!

IF IT DOES NOT ON YOUR MAC !!

JUST REINSTAL TWONKY 4.4.5 rebuilt your data base under trouble shoothing ! rescan your selected files wait......... a few sec's

AND PRESTO !!!!

if not your router / airport sould have UDP/TCP port's 9000 forwarded Also on your mac's system prefs at sharing and firewall !!!
The problem is described in my post.

User avatar
mgillespie
Posts: 1222
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:19 pm
AV Hardware: TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.
Location: UK

Post by mgillespie » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:22 pm

[quote="srammij"]I was expressing my frustration with this... this didn't need to become a PC vs. Mac discussion, but mgillespie i've seen you in the past Mac bashing and that's what your hinting at again... that the problem is that Mac is being used.
[quote]

Yes, I am not a fan of Mac, mainly because of the way it's marketted to be a general purpose PC, which it's not. But I don't HATE macs, they have a place in this worls, they are very good at a very specific set of tasks (Office/Web/Email/DTP/Graphics), If your the type of person that does these tasks regularly, and not much else, a Mac is perfect. My mother is like this, a Mac would suit her down to the ground. However, many people require their computer to do other tasks, this is when a Mac sucks badly.

Mac usage is around 1-2% compared to PC usage. That's fact, and I believe that number is shrinking. This is WHY mac support is bad, the fact that Mac users shout the loudest, and demand things be fixed, and all sorts of other abuse, when the reality is, ALL software has similar issues (yes, believe it or not, there are bugs in Windows and Linux TwonkyMedia software), it's just these users accept this, and wait quietly for fixes...

Anyway, if you want to discuss Mac Vs PC, let's starts a new thread, rather than pollute this one any further. I am more than happy to hear other peoples opinions on this...
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

chasi
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 7:42 pm

Post by chasi » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:30 pm

mgillespie wrote:
not one company can get media to stream to the PS3 properly
This is obviously untrue, as MANY people are streaming to PS3 without any issues whatsoever... So I am not sure of the point you are trying to make. I simply stated, that perhaps it's MAC users that are having trouble streaming to PS3's
I have only been successful streaming to PS3 from a PC with twonky and other media server software, however this is not how I ultimatly want to do this. I have an HP MediaVault NAS which I want to stream from and I have a lot of problems trying to get anything to stream. I haven't tried twonky 4.4 beta 5 yet, but with beta 4 the only things I've been successful streaming are .wma audio files and .jpg But these are the least interresting files to me since I want to be able to stream .mp4 video mainly and my audio collection is almost entirely .m4a (non-DRM) itunes audio files. Neither of these formats has worked for me from the NAS with twonky. I don't know if this is a twonky issue that hasn't been resolved yet or if it is a PS3 issue that can or cannot be worked around by twonky. All I know is that so far I'm not able to use the PS3 for streaming the media that I want from the server that I want.

digitaljive
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:36 am
Location: Toronto Canada
Contact:

Mac Safari Issue...

Post by digitaljive » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:11 am

Just updated to the new beta and got the same problem. I noticed that the Safari application is being launched by the 'System Administrator' which is one of the default profiles in OS X. You can then login to your profile but the Safari will remain open with the permissions of the 'System Administrator'. It's not a huge security issue (ie. It's not root) but it's not ideal. I tried moving the 'Media Server' startup item to a user profile and that fixed the login issue but didn't allow Twonky to work.

I'm wondering if perhaps this Beta requires installation and usage using an 'Administrator' profile rather than a standard 'User' profile. That could explain why it's working for some people and not others.

longtom
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 8:47 am

Re: Mac Safari Issue...

Post by longtom » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:55 am

digitaljive wrote:Just updated to the new beta and got the same problem. I noticed that the Safari application is being launched by the 'System Administrator' which is one of the default profiles in OS X. You can then login to your profile but the Safari will remain open with the permissions of the 'System Administrator'. It's not a huge security issue (ie. It's not root) but it's not ideal. I tried moving the 'Media Server' startup item to a user profile and that fixed the login issue but didn't allow Twonky to work.

I'm wondering if perhaps this Beta requires installation and usage using an 'Administrator' profile rather than a standard 'User' profile. That could explain why it's working for some people and not others.
I'm admin and it doesn't work for me too...

wideasleep1
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:34 am
Location: Sausalito,Ca. USA
Contact:

Post by wideasleep1 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:48 am

Folks-There is obviously an issue with the beta wrt Macs. If you are the sort of person who's risk-averse, by all means do NOT run beta's on Macs and whine/complain when things aren't cozy. If you want to improve support for Macs wrt Twonky, then simply run beta's with the expectation that things WON'T be cozy sometimes, and report accordingly. No need for PC vs. Mac crap here...it's so 20th century. :)

srammij
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 12:03 am
Contact:

Post by srammij » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:39 am

I think for the most part that people are posting issues here with the beta because we're trying to help in any way that we can to get them resolved. I don't complain just to complain... i would like to purchase this software... and my trial is running out very soon... but i can't justify buying something especially for that price for something that doesn't work.

digitaljive
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:36 am
Location: Toronto Canada
Contact:

Post by digitaljive » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:35 pm

Let me echo that... BETA versions are designed for testing. The people taking the time to "whine and complain" are sending feedback to the company so the product can get better. Much better that than removing the product and moving on.

From what I've see this is a well made product with solid foundations but by Mac standards, a somewhat rough UI and a few bugs. I'd like to help it get better and I've seen enough already to purchase it when my trial is done..

User avatar
mgillespie
Posts: 1222
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:19 pm
AV Hardware: TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.
Location: UK

Post by mgillespie » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:00 pm

Exactly, Beta testing is not for everyone, it's for people that can live with bugs, are prepared to go back to older versions, and should prepare for the possibility for any beta software to potentially hose their OS installation.

That said however, beta testing has it's benefits. It means any bugs you are suffering from, can be ironed out for the final release. You have an oppertunity to help the software become more robust.
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

wideasleep1
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:34 am
Location: Sausalito,Ca. USA
Contact:

Post by wideasleep1 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:56 pm

digitaljive wrote:Let me echo that... BETA versions are designed for testing. The people taking the time to "whine and complain" are sending feedback to the company so the product can get better. Much better that than removing the product and moving on.
Yes and no. This is really a user-based help forum, not official support. As such, my goal for these fora is to streamline communication to aid current users with issues they're experiencing. Any clutter which impedes this, or dissuades participation (baiting, off-topic arguments, namecalling,'whine/complaining',etc.) are intolerable. There is a loosely standardised process for beta users to report issues in the beta forum, but now I see Christian posted the beta here rather than there. :p I also recognise both of you are relatively new here (welcome!), so I can expect some deviation from the norm until we fully assimilate you. :) Treat these fora as communication with other helpful users (which it is), not as a venting or extortion mechanism against Twonky. Official support is by email, and subject to Twonky's own T&C's, which I believe includes being a paid user, and for a current release (not beta's).
From what I've see this is a well made product with solid foundations but by Mac standards, a somewhat rough UI and a few bugs. I'd like to help it get better and I've seen enough already to purchase it when my trial is done..
I agree. Even in Windoze standards, it's a tad rough and buggy, but like srammij's Toyota, Twonky is an ugly but solid workhorse. I think it's the Mac vs. PC 'standards' where things go pear-shaped...I don't suspect Mac users are used to beta-testing, whereas PC users' entire experience is a beta-test, and one is stunned when they can actually discover something that truly works! :D (That is to say, our expectation levels are markedly different).

srammij
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 12:03 am
Contact:

Post by srammij » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:02 pm

You're absolutely right... i'm used to working on a mac and expecting things to work all the time.. because i'm used to that! :P

Look... i just want this thing to work! I like it... it seems to work at times, and i think it's the only chance i really have to get Video and Music streaming to my PS3. I tried Eyeconnect, which i couldn't get to work, and some other one... they all were a waste of time. Twonky is the only that has worked... but still has some issues. My problem is, that my trial runs out really really soon... and i don't want to pay for a registration if it isn't working.

I have faith that you guys can pull it off. And i would be happy to help in any way as far as the Mac to PS3 is concerned.

slickvik
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:37 am

Macs are simply better

Post by slickvik » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:37 am

mgillespie:

I think most Mac users complain louder that others because they tend to be used to well written software and a stable platform. Windows/Linux users generally don't have that luxury.

Your assumption that Macs are only good for word processing/dtp etc. tells of your inexperience with Macs. Macs are better than other platforms at everything except the availability of games. There are less applications available for the Mac, but the quality of those applications beats all of crappy applications on the windows platform.

The reason windows enjoys a higher market share is that average joe is ok with mediocrity, as long as its what he uses at work and all his friends do the same. He simply doesn't know any better. The worse platform always enjoys a greater marketshare, since most people are just not very smart -- the election of George Bush should tell you that much. Mac users are generally better educated and smarter than the general population.

I use a Mac for development, and you'd have a hard time finding a text editor comparable to TextMate on your linux or windows box. I don't care if 400 text editors exist for windows -- they're not TextMate. If I have to suffer temporarily on a linux box I use emacs. You should really try out a Mac before you make broad generalizations about what they are good for.

You should reevaluate your decisions in life, as your ignorance combined with your fear and hatred of the unknown may be keeping you from trying good things.

srammij
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 12:03 am
Contact:

Post by srammij » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:59 am

Thank You... i'm glad someone else here knows what i'm talking about.

You also have to realize that there are misconceptions about the Mac and Mac users. We're like the nerds at school that got picked on, and the PC's are the Jocks and popular people. There's tons of Jocks and "cool" people that like to single out and pick on the nerds. Funny thing is, that after high school... most of the Jocks don't amount to much, and the nerds become rich and powerful.

The reason why we scream the loudest is because we're the ones who are always being shoved into a corner... and we all know what happens when a wild animal is backed into a corner, he fights for his life.

Everyone has their own opinion and preference of what they use.

crimespree
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:29 am

Post by crimespree » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:20 am

this is like a terd eating contest, even if you win you are still full of sh1t.

yes pcs have bigger market share but the people doing advanced things on their computers are often using a mac, there is a very disproportionate amount of quality mac software considering the user base.

i personally think twonky are doing an excellent job, how long has the ps3 had the ability to stream for? not long and they are the first on the mac to do it, it is beta software, appreciate the fact they are releasing it to us and have confidence in their ability to finish it, offer constructing criticism and wait patiently for results,
yes it is hard if you are looking to buy the software, i would buy it in a second if it was 100%,
maybe twonky could extend trial periods for beta somehow??

wideasleep1
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:34 am
Location: Sausalito,Ca. USA
Contact:

Post by wideasleep1 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:06 pm

Even though PS3 streaming isn't 100%, Twonky itself is. Christian will refund your money if Twonky doesn't meet your satisfaction and needs, so you just can't lose either way. ;)

crimespree
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:29 am

Post by crimespree » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:35 pm

problem solved, no more whinging from anyone!

Locked