4.4 released

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
twonky-christian
Lynx Technology Staff
AV Hardware:PC
4.4 released

Post by twonky-christian » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:09 pm

Hi,

we have now released 4.4 - this is the first official version with PS3 support

Christian

cbhwr

Post by cbhwr » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:44 pm

Dagn'it, you couldn't have waited just a few more days? Now I have to go and buy this software :)

/Nc

wideasleep1

Post by wideasleep1 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:40 am

It could be just me, but my wma's aren't showing up after several rescans...mp3's are fine. Anyone else?

twonky-christian
Lynx Technology Staff

Post by twonky-christian » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:17 am

wideasleep1 wrote:It could be just me, but my wma's aren't showing up after several rescans...mp3's are fine. Anyone else?
just checked - in general WMA works...

srammij

Post by srammij » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:48 am

I'm assuming that since 4.4 has been officially released that all of the issues have been resolved concerning Mac to PS3. Can this be confirmed by anyone? I would like to purchase.

stef156

Re: 4.4 released

Post by stef156 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:42 am

twonky-christian wrote:Hi,

Christian
Hi,

It's a great improvement, but I would like to see again Roku clients nosearch option on config page please!!!

twonky-christian
Lynx Technology Staff

Post by twonky-christian » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:45 pm

which OS

should be there on win32 on misc

evilo

Post by evilo » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:12 pm

twonky-christian wrote:Hi,

Christian
Thank you very much :)

Could you tell us what are the differences/improvements regarding the last beta (4.4b5) ?

thanks,
evilo
Twonky running on a Synology DS101j

srammij

Post by srammij » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:54 pm

I purchased 4.4 for Mac and all seems to work as before... in beta4

As long as videos are saved in the proper MP4 ecoding with the right tags... they work fine.

Music works as well... i do have some music in my library which is showing up as unsupported, i have to test to see which ones work and which don't. I think, if i remember correctly Mp3's work, but Mp4 (itunes converted) music doesn't work, and i don't mean protected music from the itunes store.

Thanks guys.

stef156

Post by stef156 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:51 am

twonky-christian wrote:which OS

should be there on win32 on misc
It's a WL-HDD NAS version. Could you check it please?

Brandon B

Post by Brandon B » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:53 am

Your OS X uninstall script does not work. It would be nice to be able to remove the trial version until such time as this is transparent enough with OS X and the PS3 that I wish to buy it.

BB

twonky-christian
Lynx Technology Staff

Post by twonky-christian » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:43 am

we need to work on the uninstall

anyway the full version is the same - just enter the license key

it will also perfomr an upgrade on the install

TheShadowRunner

Post by TheShadowRunner » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:10 pm

Some enhancements for Townky:

- Can you allow to *NOT* have "All Pictures", "All Video" and "All Music" entries in the navigation tree, PLEASE?

- Navigation tree folder name enhancements:

Let's say I want to add a directory to the share, for example:
D:\Music\Mp3\Blub\
This directory contains a number of files...
a.mp3
b.mp3
c.mp3
I add the directory to the share and set it up as "Music-Only", which tells Twonky that it should be displayed under the Music root folder.
Now, the problem is that Twonky will not add this directory to the Music root folder, but rather the files it contains:
Music\
a.mp3
b.mp3
c.mp3
There should be a way of making the directory appear as a subdirectory under the root folder:
Music\Blub\
a.mp3
b.mp3
c.mp3
If all shared music files are shoved directly into the root folder things get real messy.

Ie: if I share a folder called "XYZ", I would like TwonkyMedia to keep its structure intact and let me browse it the way it is originally organized on the PC side.
Thanks!

TSR

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:30 pm

TheShadowRunner wrote:Some enhancements for Townky:

- Can you allow to *NOT* have "All Pictures", "All Video" and "All Music" entries in the navigation tree, PLEASE?

a.mp3
b.mp3
c.mp3
I add the directory to the share and set it up as "Music-Only", which tells Twonky that it should be displayed under the Music root folder.
Now, the problem is that Twonky will not add this directory to the Music root folder, but rather the files it contains:
Music\
a.mp3
b.mp3
c.mp3
There should be a way of making the directory appear as a subdirectory under the root folder:
Music\Blub\
a.mp3
b.mp3
c.mp3
If all shared music files are shoved directly into the root folder things get real messy.

Ie: if I share a folder called "XYZ", I would like TwonkyMedia to keep its structure intact and let me browse it the way it is originally organized on the PC side.
Thanks!

TSR
Hmm, not really sure what you mean, but it looks like you are asking for folder navigation.... Personally I am very happy, like many with the flexible ways that Twonky allow me to organise my media tree's and would be very cautious about having things changed to suit a minority..
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

antonym

Post by antonym » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:08 pm

Glad to hear there's a DSM320 fix... I had got used to restarting it while watching movies. I've been running Twonky on a Maxtor Shared Storage NAS for 18 months now and other than my DSM320 crashing problem (did it start with 4.3?) I've been very happy.
I've just installed 4.4 and have a couple of minor comments

Mediabrowser - you've "replaced javascript mediabrowser by generated HTML pages (webbrowse)" media browser. Couple of comments:
1. The "Pictures" folder view doesn't seem to work. Everything's OK when accessing through DSM, but going through the web mediabrowser doesn't show any folders.
Update - of course as soon as I hit post this started working. I guess the server must have been busy processing the rescanned database. Just need to be more patient next time :D
2. The HTML pages don't really work on IE6 (SP2). The title of the current page, and the Home and Up images appear in the wrong place. Looks lovely in Firefox though.

Installation - can the installer be amended so that my carefully crafted settings (folders to search, music tree nodes etc) are carried over from the old install, rather than me having to reset them every time I install a new version of Twonky? I could back up the ini file, but a new version of Twonky may include new settings so I don't want to have to merge the files together myself... it's really just a nice to have but thought I'd ask.

A

TheShadowRunner

Post by TheShadowRunner » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:56 pm

mgillespie wrote:

a.mp3
b.mp3
c.mp3
Music\
a.mp3
b.mp3
c.mp3
Music\Blub\
a.mp3
b.mp3
c.mp3

Thanks!

TSR
Hmm, not really sure what you mean, but it looks like you are asking for folder navigation.... Personally I am very happy, like many with the flexible ways that Twonky allow me to organise my media tree's and would be very cautious about having things changed to suit a minority..
Just because *YOU* don't have the need for such option doesn't mean it's not needed, what the hell.

It also shows that you are not sharing a lot of medias because if you were you would probably agree with me that it is a very needed option.
When adding mulitiple folders containing audio for exemple, Twonky put the contents of those folders directly at the root of the navigation tree, so it's very hard to find stuffs fast.
If there was an option to display them in the navigation tree like it is organized on the PC side (which other DLNA servers can do btw, such as TVersity or Nero), it would be much cleaner and easier to navigate.

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:17 pm

Well, I have about 12,000 tracks, and have no problems navigating media on my PS3. I generally use ABC navigation on Artist/Album
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

Karsi

Post by Karsi » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:30 pm

a.mp3
b.mp3
c.mp3
Music\
a.mp3
b.mp3
c.mp3
Music\Blub\
a.mp3
b.mp3
c.mp3

Thanks!

TSR
I'm not sure wether I understood you right, but I agree to mgillespie in the way that you obviously asking for a folder navigation.
This is what I use in most cases, because I can decide upfront how I would like to sort Artist etc.. e.g. wether Peter Gabriel should be found in 'P' or 'G'. I prefer 'G' which Twonky cannot solve automatically.
What I do is I use ID3Tag to organize the files in Folders and then just sort the Artist folder into the alphabetical folders.
Twonky let me know 'surf' through the folders like in the MS Explorer.
Perfect!

So in your example you would have to 'share' to Twonky the :\Music\Mp3\
The blub folder will automatically been shown (at least in my case all folder under the shared root folder are shown. If there is no mp3 file directly in the root than no mp3 is shown.)
If you add another root folder than the other subfolders are added to that list.

So just choose not the lowest subfolder but one node above?
This is what I understood you are looking for, or not?

Best regards,
Karsten

TheShadowRunner

Post by TheShadowRunner » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:48 pm

Hi Karsten,
The problem is:
I have mp3s in :
c:\mp3\
and
c:\gamemusic\

Each of those folders contain some tracks directly at the root, and some subfolders which contain albums. (1 subfolder = 1 album).

If I chose to share those 2 folders in TwonkyMedia as "music", and browse using "folder" view on the PS3, I get ALL the little tracks at the root, and subfolders OK.

TwonkyMedia, instead of presenting :

Folder - MP3
---------\ gamemusic

Only shows:

Folder - tracks are directly there.

So it's actually tougher to find my root tracks, lets say from the c:\gamemusic folder since they're all mixed with the root ones from c:\mp3

I hope i express myself clearly ;)
And since those folders are already at the root of C:\ , i can't "go above" when sharing them in Twonky.
Later,

TSR

Edit: all in all, i just want to properly navigate by folder when I chose "folder" navigation in twonky, nothing more ;)