Thanks

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
chrisbaksa
Thanks

Post by chrisbaksa » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:48 pm

I'm new to Twonky. But I must say... I really like it. (I can't comment or compare earlier versions)

Being an engineer myself (and no stranger to forums), it no surprise that most of the posts usually have oodles of negatives and almost zero positives about the product. So I'd like to take a moment to thank the authors for the time devoted to researching and writing this fine product.

I purchased a Buffalo LinkTheater with intentions accessing all my media off my Network Environment. A feat I knew was not going to be accomplished with the out of the box software. I had 3 major requirements:

1 - Had to Run on Windows 2003 Server (32 and 64 bit).
2 - Had to Run as a service (no users logged in all the time).
3 - Had to be able to access media on network shares.

After some research I found Twonky. I downloaded the trial and loaded it up. Rays of light shined down from the heavens as I realized that ALL my requirements were met. I registered the software the next day.

Thanks Twonky! for realizing that there is more to a media server than just Windows XP. I look forward to new versions and new features.

Chris

Setup (for those interested):

IBM 346 Dual Processor Xeon Server with 8 gig Ram and 2 Tera bytes of Disk Space running Windows 2003 R2 (64 bit).
Full Microsoft Active Directory
VMWare Server ( Domain Controller, Web server and Exchange Server)
LinkSys SRW2024P - 24 port Gigabit Switch with POE.
Linksys WAP54 - Wireless Access Point using Linksys POE injectors.
Buffalo LinkTheater.
Linksys RV042 Router.
Avocent 2161 KVM over IP.

twonky-christian
Lynx Technology Staff
AV Hardware:PC

Post by twonky-christian » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:50 am

thanks for the heads up :D