Version 4.4 strange problems

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
southsound
Version 4.4 strange problems

Post by southsound » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:17 pm

I have used Twonky for years - starting out with 2.9 on a Slug. I upgraded the Slug to 4.1 but due to posts on this board, decided not to go past that since it worked fine. Now I have upgraded my NAS to a Maxtor Shared Storage II (320 GB) and had to use 4.4 since the earlier build was not available.

Problem 1: Now I have 4 albums of songs that do not behave properly when listing the genre. In addition to the correct one, Christian, they show Unknown. I even used MediaMonkey to change the genre tags to Polka, have moved them into another directory to do some testing, changed the tags back to Christian - still the pesky Unknown. They show up just fine in MediaMonkey. I even shortened the folder and file names thinking that I was going beyond Twonky's naming parameters. Still the pesky Unknown.

Problem 2: Almost every time I do a reboot of Twonky on the server (the MSSII), it causes my computer to to dial up my Internet connection - possibly to verify my license? Is this normal? Is there a way to defeat it?

Thanks

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:47 pm

Problem 1:

Are these files WMA? I have a problem with Unknown artists on WMA files ripped with Windows Media Player 9. If I re-rip them with WMP11, the Unknown Artist problem goes...

strange...
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

southsound

Post by southsound » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:55 pm

All of the problem files are .mp3 with bitrates of between 128 and 192. I have other files with the same bitrates and they just work fine. The strange thing is that problem files show up properly in MediaMonkey and DBpoweramp.

southsound

Post by southsound » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:19 pm

Problem 2: Almost every time I do a reboot of Twonky on the server (the MSSII), it causes my computer to dial up my Internet connection - possibly to verify my license? Is this normal? Is there a way to defeat it?
I am a little surprised that no comments have been made about this behavior! If my MSSII is dialing out, maybe yours is connecting via your broadband connection and you don't even recognize it. What information is being sent? Why is the code there in the first place? Is it a TwonkyVision behavior? Is is part of openMSS? Something from Maxtor when you modify their boot software? I am trying not to be paranoid but I don't know enough about software to debug what is causing it.

Twonky - any desire to clear this up?

toddel68

Re: Version 4.4 strange problems

Post by toddel68 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:33 pm

southsound wrote:
Problem 1: Now I have 4 albums of songs that do not behave properly when listing the genre. In addition to the correct one, Christian, they show Unknown. I even used MediaMonkey to change the genre tags to Polka, have moved them into another directory to do some testing, changed the tags back to Christian - still the pesky Unknown. They show up just fine in MediaMonkey. I even shortened the folder and file names thinking that I was going beyond Twonky's naming parameters. Still the pesky Unknown.
Since it's been a while - did you find a fix meanwhile? I'm having exactly the same problem running 4.4 on my Synology Diskstation 106. Some songs show up under 'Unknown' with no evident similarities. I also had a few songs which where tagged withe the genre 80's and they would show up as genre 'Folk'. I hate folk music and I have no such music at all. After renaming the genre to 'Achtziger' (which is german for 'eighties') they would finally show up in the correct genre. I also have slimserver running on my ds106 and Slimserver does have no problem with sorting all the mentined songs in the correct genre when accessing them via Squeezebox. It's definitely a Twonkyvision issue.

Regards, Thorsten