PS3 and Streaming DVD movies

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
darbid
PS3 and Streaming DVD movies

Post by darbid » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:13 pm

I have been playing around with a DVD movie. With DVDShrink I have made one huge VOB file which Twonky recognises and PS3 plays. Only problems is that I only get stereo from the audio.

I think this is a PS3 issue but if it is not could someone please help me.

twonky-christian
Lynx Technology Staff
AV Hardware:PC

Post by twonky-christian » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:47 am

nothing you can do on server side here

Stevie
AV Hardware:Playstation 3

Re: PS3 and Streaming DVD movies

Post by Stevie » Thu May 01, 2008 8:10 am

Is it possible to Stream DVD Movies when their folders are on the harddisc or when there is an image like .iso of it?
If not please add this feature. I would prefer to have a movie library on harddisk instead of searching a dvd which i have to put it in always.

GregiBoy
AV Hardware:Zensonic Z500 x 2, Ziova CS-505, D-Link DSM-320, iPaq RX3715, TwonkyVision 4.4.3 Windows XP, TVersity

Post by GregiBoy » Thu May 01, 2008 10:03 pm

Stevie wrote:Is it possible to Stream DVD Movies when their folders are on the harddisc or when there is an image like .iso of it?
If not please add this feature. I would prefer to have a movie library on harddisk instead of searching a dvd which i have to put it in always.
ISO images are not supported.

What you need to do is encode to a format that the PS3 will play.

I suggest that you have a look at DVDFab.com (Platinum) as it has a DVD->Mobile option which will encode directly to a PS3 playable format.

twentw
AV Hardware:PS3

Post by twentw » Thu May 15, 2008 11:51 pm

You can use DVDShrink to rip the movie to a hard disk folder. In the preferences, make sure that "Split files into 1GB size chunks" is unchecked. The result is 1 vob file that contains the entire movie and can be streamed and played on the PS3. The only problem I've found with this is that I'm not able to fast forward or rewind in about half the movies I rip. I don't understand why, but it's a PS3 problem, not Twonky.