Extremely Poor Performance with XBox360

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
loudog40
Extremely Poor Performance with XBox360

Post by loudog40 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:20 pm

Hi everyone,
I recently installed the trial version of Twonky 4.4 on my new NAS (Buffalo Terastation Live) and I've been having a few performance issues with my XBox 360. When using the Xbox to browse music by artist or album it takes roughly 40-60 seconds for Twonky to return the listing (roughly 11k mp3s). This is a major inconvenience to have to wait nearly a full minute each time I want to select a new artist for playing. Are there others out there with the same levels of poor performance on their 360?

Also, I've noticed that the XBox360 doesn't allow for use of the custom "Music Tree" nodes that can be configured using the Twonky Web console. It's my understanding that UPnP AV uses the ContentDirectory standard to discover shared media and that this directory can either be either browsed or searched. Ive also heard that the Xbox360 doesn't use the browse functionality (i.e. Music Tree) and instead searches for artists/albums by their type. Does Twonky perform an entire rescan for every search? Could this be the reason behind the slow performance I've been experiencing?

monkeyhands

Post by monkeyhands » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:34 am

Go in to your twonky config and set the music tree to "Simple default navigation". Your 360 will pick up the full listing in a second.
Reality (n), Something that happens when you are not playing video games.

andersmh
AV Hardware:Qnap TS-109

Re: Extremely Poor Performance with XBox360

Post by andersmh » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:10 pm

I hope it is not inapporpiate to wake up this thread because the issue is still valid. I'm running Twonky Media Server 5.1.6 on a QNAP TS-109. I've tried the proposed solution by selecting the simple navigation tree but the problem remains the same. Is there any other way to improve the performance?