TwonkyVision: Search and order of files/playlists

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
RaDiO-NL
TwonkyVision: Search and order of files/playlists

Post by RaDiO-NL » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:55 pm

Hi all,

I decided to go for the QNAP T101 as NAS and i must say, i am very pleased with the device! I got a 500GB HD in it.
I use it with a Pinnacle Soundbridge M1001. (thinking about buying an extra HomeMusic for my working room)

Some major plus-points:

- It works out of the box! On the QNAP is TwonkyVision embedded, just update the firmware (which is very easy, get it from http://www.qnap.com.tw) and you have TwonkyVision 4.3
- Just activate it (one checkbox) and it works! You can access it on <ip>:9000. It supports playlist in .wpl and .m3u, these are the ones i tried and showed up and worked!
- The soundbridge sees it straight away and works perfect!
- I can browse on album, artists, genre and folders (the actual ones on the HD)

Still i have 2 questions: (maybe i do something wrong)

1. I cannot find a search feature, is this not supported by Twonky? This would be a great feature! I know i could when using WMC.
2. I noticed that the order of some playlists AND folders is changed when i open them on the soundbridge. When i open the .wpl or .m3u playlist in notepad, i see the correct order. When i open the same playlist on the soundbridge, i get a different order! This different order stays the same everytime i open it. I can see no strange things in the playlists. I also checked that shuffle is of on the soundbridge aswel in the Twonky. I make the playlists with WMP11.
Even when i just browse to a folder with the soundbridge, is does not show the files in order like in windows explorer, but starts with (for example) the fourth song, then the seventh, etc. Strange behaviour! I already removed all the weird characters in song names, etc. Only normal letters and spaces, so no {}[](),. or whatever.

Anybody has any hints/ideas?

Thanks!

Andries

randyth

Post by randyth » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:59 am

The 4.4 version of TwonkyVision for the PC supports the Soundbridge's search function, but the Beta version that runs on the QNAP TS-101 does not for some reason. I'm hoping they add it in the final release. I've always had trouble with playlists using TwonkyVision, so I can't help you with your second question.

It's very encouraging that they continue to support the TS-101 -- it's a great NAS drive.

-Randy

RaDiO-NL

Post by RaDiO-NL » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:36 am

Hi randyth,

Thanks for your hints.
Good to see it's not something i missed somewhere.

I did not install the latetst update yet, with the TwonkyVision 4.4 package. Would that give me any benefits yet, or would you say i can also wait until the next release of the QNAP software?
Besides the playlist thing i must say it is running ok at this moment.

It certainly is a great NAS drive, better then the ones i had before, althow it costs a bit more.

Andries

randyth

Post by randyth » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:34 pm

You can see a list of improvement between TwonkyVision 4.3 and 4.4 here: http://www.twonkyvision.com/Products/Tw ... story.html
For me, I needed the streaming video support for my Sony PlayStation 3 that 4.4 provides.

-Randy