Custom Navigation

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
cwheel
Custom Navigation

Post by cwheel » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:25 am

Hi,

I'm a Twonky newbie but a coder, so I know my way around the PC.

I'm using TwonkyMedia to stream movies to my Buffalo Linkstation connected to my TV.

I'd like to create a number of different navigation options when you select Video. I would like to be able to sort movies by Genre, Year and Starting Letter (in the title).

So for example, let's say I have the movie "Ray." I want to be able to add it to the "Drama" genre category, the "2004" year category, and the letter "R". But it seems as if in order to do this using the nodes in the video tree, I'll need three copies of the file, which I can't afford to do spacewise.

Is what I want to do even possible with Twonky?

Thanks in advance!

cwheel

Post by cwheel » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:54 pm

Bump!
(Sorry hate to do that but my library is getting larger by the day and this is becoming a more and more serious problem!)

cbhwr

Post by cbhwr » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:20 pm

I am not sure I understand what it is you are missing here.
Set a node (node 1?) to Genre, add a level with Year and finally a level with Title where the ABC option is set to 1.
In your movie "Ray" you then have to ensure that it has the correct tags set, depending on format. I suggest MPEG4, since it is widely used and supports the tags you need.

Examples from my config:
Node 1 is "Show & Year" set to Album, added a level for Year.
Node 2 is "Genre" set to Genre, added a level set to title and ABC set to 2

The first lets me see the albums (think TV shows), and then lets me select which year (~= season).
The second one would let me find the Drama category, and under there the option "R-S" which would contain something like "Ray" (if I had that movie).

Hope this helps, otherwise write again :)
/G

cwheel

Post by cwheel » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:07 pm

Ah this helps a lot! I didn't realize that Twonky reads tags.

I have about 1000 movies in AVI (some divx, some xvid) format. Can you recommend a program to edit tags on these formats?

Thanks!!!

cbhwr

Post by cbhwr » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:27 pm

Sorry, no.

Google might provide some, but my (limited) understanding of the AVI container is that it is extremely simple, and thus probably does not have any support for tags.

You may be able to transmux your streams to Matroska or MPEG4 (Note: Transmux is only repackaging, not re-encoding) and through these set tags. Twonky at least understands MPEG4's most basic ones, but none of the iTunes stiks :( ...
(Personally I do not use DivX/XVid - I'm almost exclusively H264+AAC in MPEG4)

Cheers,
/G