Picture Navigation Structure

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
lhu
Picture Navigation Structure

Post by lhu » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:13 am

Hi all,

Is there any documentation about the navigation structure of the picture section? In particular I wonder where the media server takes the "keyword", "rating" or "description" values from. Does the media server read IPTC data to get those values? I tried a few examples with IPTC-enhanced pictures but it didn't work out. Any hint about where twonky takes those values from is very much appreciated.

LHU

Jerome_TO
AV Hardware:Linkstation PowerPC, Linkstation MIPS, HP Media Smart TV, Linsys WLMB

PicNavigation and lack of informaiton

Post by Jerome_TO » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:29 pm

I'm of the same mind as you. I love Twonky as a media server on my NAS but have always found the info on how to use the Keyword function in the picture portion elusive.

There are threads out there on how to use external Adobe links and DB, but I never found complete instructions and have not been able to install either on the Win version of Twonky or the NAS one.

I can’t help but wonder why IPTC info is not the way the pics are indexed with this system. This it TwonkyMEDIA right not just TwonkyMusic!!!

ThyMaster

Post by ThyMaster » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:50 pm

There was something like support for Adobe Photoshop Album database in earlier days (version 3??).
I assume that is where these tags derive from from, but that was a Windows-only feature and the db format of Adobe change since then about 2 to 3 times.

So I think these tags are nowadays of no use at all (unfortunatley).

-
ThyMaster

ablevy

Post by ablevy » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:12 am

I find the lack of documentation a real bummer. You would think that for a product that they are selling, they could at least provide a decent feature description.

Alan

Shockmaindave
AV Hardware:Windows Vista
2 Playstation 3's
1 Retired DSM-320

Post by Shockmaindave » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:01 pm

[quote="ThyMaster"]There was something like support for Adobe Photoshop Album database in earlier days (version 3??).
I assume that is where these tags derive from from, [b]but[/b] that was a Windows-only feature and the db format of Adobe change since then about 2 to 3 times.

So I think these tags are nowadays of no use at all (unfortunatley).

-
ThyMaster[/quote]

This one got me thinking and doing some poking around. Thymaster's saying "tags are of no use at all" is fortunately incorrect. They just take some effort.

This thread was similar to a question I raised a while back. I think the forum has moved and the original message was lost. Back then, I learned that Photoshop Elements has a different DB structure than Photoshop Album, so PE is not supported. However, Photoshop Album remains supported.

Photoshop Album 3.2 is available free from Adobe. It's full of advertisements and annoyances and its features are crippled, but it still saves tags. Plugging in the address to its .psa file (usually in Documents and Settings/Application Data/Adobe/Photoshop Elements/Catalogs) in Twonky's External Applications page will make it work [b]after a database rebuild.[/b]

I think I got spoiled by the Rescan in Minutes -1 setting for automatic updates. It doesn't seem to apply to reading the .psa, and neither does rescanning content directories. You have to go to the troubleshooting page and choose rebuild database. The .psa file seems to be the last thing that is read, as the Tags link shows up well after the pictures have been scanned.

I've also found that a 'free' Microsoft product, Photoinfo, will cause Tags to show from files without including the .psa file. Photoinfo writes directly to and Twonky is able to directly read from the .jpg files. The program is slow and I haven't figured out how to make hierarchical tags yet, and I know it's anathema to suggest a Windows-only product around here, but at least it's another way to get tags to display.

If anyone has found another program that works, please let us know. Both Photoinfo and Photoshop Album have their annoynaces.

How can Twonky improve on this? Photoshop Elements support would be nice. Monitoring the .psa file for change and automatically updating would be nice. Support for Picasa keywords would be nice (but we'd still be tagging our files when the sun went cold.) Featuring a more prominent rebuild database button or instructions on the web page would be nice.

Nice doesn't mean that my life as I know it will end without the features. I understand and sympathize with Christian's concentration on video streaming and photo rendering problems. In his defense, the system still works far better than it used to.

I hope others can figure out more, better, and faster ways of making what we've got work better.

agb007

Re: Picture Navigation Structure

Post by agb007 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:53 am

In my opinion the right way to create a structure is to use the exif data in the photo.
Most is standard a few is under "maker notes" there are small programs that move data from maker notes to standard tag.
For example Nikon on their dslr's writes iso under "maker notes" I have a small program dl a long time ago that moves it.

So in short EXIF structure thanks