HDD enclosure

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
danielread
HDD enclosure

Post by danielread » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:14 pm

I am looking to buy a new media server for use with twonky.

WOuld something like this be able to handle twonky. It has SAMBA and FTP.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-5-HDD-NAS-NETWO ... dZViewItem

Many Thanks

masterplumber

Post by masterplumber » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:31 pm

Looks like what you have there is an empty case :( If you check the package contents you will see there's no hard drive included.

You'd be better buying one of the NAS boxes that come with twonky preinstalled.
there's danger in complacency and comfort in the fight

danielread

Post by danielread » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:07 am

Yes i am aware this does not have a hard drive, however i have several hundred of these at home. Therefore the £30 i would pay for the enclosure is well about £150 pound less than a product with twonky already installed.

Does anybody know whether this would be able to handle Twonly Media server?

Thanks

masterplumber

Post by masterplumber » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:52 pm

Doesn't have to cost into the hundreds of pounds...

I bought an NSLU2 about 18 months ago for less than £50. I also bought a hard drive enclosure from ebay for about a tenner and stuck in an 80Gb hard drive I had lying around.

Unslung the NSLU2 to 6.8 and installed twonky.

Works a treat.

I would recommend that you go down the path of something that is tried and tested.
there's danger in complacency and comfort in the fight

danielread

Post by danielread » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:07 pm

I don't want to sound ungreatful. But if you do not wish to answer my question or you do not know the answer could you please not reply.

I already have 2 Twonky Servers (ok one of them is a old laptop, the other is a ASUS HDD)

I am simply looking for another unit purely of video transfer.

wideasleep1

Post by wideasleep1 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:59 pm

danielread wrote:I don't want to sound ungreatful. But if you do not wish to answer my question or you do not know the answer could you please not reply.

I already have 2 Twonky Servers (ok one of them is a old laptop, the other is a ASUS HDD)

I am simply looking for another unit purely of video transfer.
No one can answer your question, since we don't know what OS the NAS is running. You will need telnet access and the proper Twonky installation version compatible with the KNOWN software/firmware version running on the NAS. Masterplumbers recommendation to use a tried and true method is great advice, whether you choose to accept it or not.

typer

Post by typer » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:06 pm

I'm quite sure that you won't be able to install anything on this box. Since it supports FTP and offers access via a web interface, it must have some kind of operating system. However, not a single word is said about telnet, other file systems than FAT32, the processor or the amount of RAM it comes with. Looks like a device only meant to be used as a file sever.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Regards,
Andreas

danielread

Post by danielread » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:27 pm

Thanks for the advise guys, I have decided to to get this one as your right when you say there is not enough info.