Navigation Tree - no support for large media collections?

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
McDotter
Navigation Tree - no support for large media collections?

Post by McDotter » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:57 am

Hi

I've got thousands of songs on my server. If I sort by title, I have ~1000 titles beginning with "A" which makes navigation on my streaming device a real pain.

I desperately need a feature to build an alphabetical tree not only by the first letter but even 2nd or 3rd of a song title.

E.g., to get the title "All along the watchtower" I would navigate down the tree by selecting "Titles", then "A". Here I would receive another alphabetical tree by 2nd letter, "AA", "AB", "AC", etc.. I could go to "AL" and would then receive all songs beginning with "AL".

If this is not feasible, I've got to change the server. I heard that mediatomb is providing this - anybody got some experiences?

flynn

Post by flynn » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:08 am

have you played with the Music Tree configuration?

"...In addition an alpha sub-grouping may be introduced by specifying the number of characters per group."

TheOmen
AV Hardware:Zyxel DMA-2500
Philips SLA-5500
Terratec Noxon

Post by TheOmen » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:30 am

Why not use some sort of grouping instead of one large list of single music-files? Sorting by Album and or Artist, subdivided in alpha-numerical groups?
I use a tree with Artist/Album, with 3 character per Artist-branch:

Artist A-C --> Albums per Artist
Artist D-F --> Albums per Artist

etc
TwonkyMediaServer on DS-108j,
TerraTec Noxon, Philips SL5500 and Zyxel DMA-2500 clients,
TwonkyMediaManager on Windows XP