Problem WMA UNKNOWN Artist

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
alex0708
Problem WMA UNKNOWN Artist

Post by alex0708 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:24 pm

hello @all,

i've a problem with my twonkymedia 4.3, running on a windows xp workstation.

I've buy the new james blunt album at musicload and have saved the wma-files in an twonky-folder to serve the files to my noxon 2 in different rooms.

But after I've rescan the directories, the titel woll been shown under "UNKNOWN" artists and "UNKNOWN" album.

The tags are korrekt and I've rebuild the db - but no effect.

Can anybody help me?

alex

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:22 am

Yes, I had the same problem. It's a bug with TwonkyMedia's WMA tag parsing. It's been around since 4.2.

I got fed up waiting for a fix (70% of my collection was listed under Unkown Artist). The fix is tedious. re-rip your collection using WMP11.

The problem seems to occur if your WMA was ripped using WMP9.
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

sjm

Post by sjm » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:50 pm

Did you buy the music as DRM protected WMAs? If so, they wont play

glaserd_prof

Post by glaserd_prof » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:53 am

The fix is tedious. re-rip your collection using WMP11.
Re-ripping 10,000+ tracks is not tedious...its getting hosed on a software purchase. These days Twonky can't display properly on a Soundbridge, it can't handle deep sorts on a Maxtor Shared Storage, it can't consistantly display my playlists, it can't deliver a ShoutCast feed, it can't parse a WMA tag, etc etc etc.

Next thing Twonky will offer a great deal on a Tower in Paris...
WinXP SP2, Linksys WRT54G, Maxtor Shared Storage Plus x 3, Soundbridges x 3, Twonky: I remember my first Terabyte...

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:50 pm

Well that's pretty unfair.

The MSS issue, is due to the small amount of RAM inside those units. Try doing anything useful in such amount of RAM, Hardly Twonkys fault. Older versions work fine, but as features need scaling for more powerful systems, then the embedded devices will be left behind.

Whilst it's frustrating that there are some bugs still kicking around, TwonkyMedia is still by far the most reliable UPnP server there is, the fact it's available on pretty much every platform out there makes it an even more outstanding product.
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

sjm

Post by sjm » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:53 am

I still sounds to me that the OP downloaded WMA music with the cursed DRM protection. DRM is a cool technology that allows you buy music without the ability to actually play it.

glaserd_prof

Post by glaserd_prof » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:39 am

per mgillespie
Well that's pretty unfair.

The MSS issue, is due to the small amount of RAM inside those units.

Yes indeedy that addresses 1 of the 5 items I'd referenced...should I continue my list? I'll spare you as prior postings have done that and my comments have been supported by many other users out there running gear outside of the MSS package. I guess I'll mention that my MSS rarely exceeded 50% of memory when it decided to bog down, Twonky support sez it's overloaded.

I'll mention that I also run Twonky on a Mac simply so I can get the deep sorts however all of the other symptoms exist...bugs to Soundbridge, Shoutcast, etc. If I were simply burdened by MSS I'd just load content to any of the other external drives I have flying around.

Apparently that was a rather important (posturing perhaps) statement to post as I waited about 5 minutes for Twonky Forum to load, denied myself the opportunity to Save viewform.php, posting.php, and some other *.php file about 8 times, and watch a screen-wipe deliver a header and no page body for probably 3 minutes before the Forum display actually delivered something .

I've got 25 years under my belt w/apps design...if it sounds like a duck its a duck and no one gets away with saying its a swan. Twonky is hosin' bigtime.
WinXP SP2, Linksys WRT54G, Maxtor Shared Storage Plus x 3, Soundbridges x 3, Twonky: I remember my first Terabyte...

sjm

Post by sjm » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:02 pm

I think the OPs issue is simple, and not a Twonky issue at all. It looks like he bought DRM protected WMA music and it wont play. This is normal and the reason not to buy DRM protected music.

alex0708

fixed the problem

Post by alex0708 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:42 am

Hi @all,

@sjm - it's not a DRM problem. The music is legal stuff which I've paid for at musicload. After that I have used tunebite to play the music everywhere in the house by using my noxon's or the diva 700. I've done this very often and now it's the first time I've this problem.

Bu yesterday I've fixed the problem. I've changed the encoder-settings in tunebyte to use the wma 10. After that, james blunt is not longer a unknow artist.

sjm

Post by sjm » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:25 pm

Not saying it is illegal. Its just that every music service I have ever seen selling WMA encoded music uses DRM protection. Programs like Tunebite and Soundtaxi get around DRM protection by capturing the audio stream while its playing, and re encoding it to another (or same without DRM) format while preserving the ID3 tags.

Anyway, glad to see you were able to fix it.