The best TwonkyMedia client, just got £125 cheaper...

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.
The best TwonkyMedia client, just got £125 cheaper...

Post by mgillespie » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:37 am

Entry level PS3 with Blu-ray for less than £300/400Euro:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7030164.stm

The PS3 is a great TwonkyMedia client, with movies (HD/SD AVC), Music (WMA/MP3) and photos (JPG/BMP/TIFF), it's also a fantastic Blu-ray player, and upscaling DVD player, and even does SACD  (if you havn't listended to Dark Side Of The Moon in 5.1 surround, you havn't lived!!). Did I mention it also plays games??? :-)

Even if you want this as a Media client/Blu-ray player, alone, it's an incredible deal, as the PS3 offers one of the HD pictures, bar none at the moment, and the DVD upscaling is on-par with the best £100 upscaling DVD players out there.

Here is a good article on the PS3 DVD upscaling abilities, and how they compare to true HD content.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/aut ... _shootout/

I can only find 2 "things I wished they changed".

1/ It needs at least 1 USB port on the back for hidden connections.
2/ The UPnP/DLNA support needs a software tweak to remove some unused menu entries under Music/Video/Pictures nodes.
3/ SACD is via HDMI only for some reason.

Aside from that. it really is the perfect client, and blow away anything else I have seen, regardless of price.
Last edited by mgillespie on Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

sjm

Post by sjm » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:20 pm

Nice deal. I'm really enjoying my PS3 with Twonky on Linux!

I see more of a potential for PS3 improvement. Although what I have works well, the PS3 moved me into a different direction that I had originally wanted. My idea was a "dumb" media player, with the server doing the work.

Since the PS3 has the power that it does, I would like to see good native media management and playback support. I would like the PS3 to be the brains, and just point it to a share and it have it do all the work. No media server needed. I would imagine (hope) improved media capabilities are some of the improvements we will see in future releases.

Until then, Twonky, other media servers make a nice combination with the PS3.