Pictures not showing up on Denon4308

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
franztini
Pictures not showing up on Denon4308

Post by franztini » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:48 pm

Hi,
I can't seem to get the pictures to display on the Denon 4308. I have no problem accessing my two machines from the Denon and scrolling/playing music, but I never get an option to display pictures. I have tried everything - even installing Twonky on another machine and still I can't get access to my pictures. Help!

Rigwit

Post by Rigwit » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:42 am

The AVR-4308 seems to have some issues with the current firmware. It won't play lossless WMA for example (except when you use WMP11 to share them), and it tends to break off the stream of files, including AAC and MP3 (again, unless you use WMP11 to share them).

The "PlaysForSure" stuff works fine, the UPnP/DLNA stuff is still buggy. However, there's supposedly a firmware update that fixes much of this, but due to problems with the firmware update server in Japan, they had to take it down for now. Many people started an update but couldn't finish it which made their AVR-4308 useless (needed to be returned to the store for repairs.)

Last I heard, the update server would be back up sometime this month.

franztini

Post by franztini » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:41 am

Thanks for the response! I know the AVR-4308 has some bugs in the firmware but I didn't think it affected the picture display since WMP can display them through the 4308. Anyway, I was going to do the firmware update and try again but I hadn't heard anybody having the firmware update fail and then make their 4308 useless - that would be a nightmare! I have posted that question on the AVSforum thread dedicated to the 4308.

Anyway, you mention 'PlaysForSure' what is that? I have successfully setup and played music but never saw an option for 'PlaysforSure'. I am a very new owner of the TwonkyVision so I haven't gotten to figure out all the settings. For example, I setup my music in 3 folders due to the sub folder limitation but I haven't figured out how to navigate to a different music folder when I am playing from another, i.e., I am playing a song that is stored in e:\music2 and I want to navigate back to e:\music1 to play a different album.

Rigwit

Post by Rigwit » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:48 am

"PlaysForSure" is a Microsoft certification meaning the device is tested and confirmed to play music/pictures/video from Windows Media Connect (which is the component in Windows Media Player that allows for media sharing)

The AVR-4308 is "PlaysForSure Audio" certified, so only music is certain to work 100%.

Twonky uses UPnP to do the sharing, and while the AVR-4308 is supposed to be DLNA certified, there are still some issues here.

franztini

Post by franztini » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:31 am

Rigwit wrote:"PlaysForSure" is a Microsoft certification meaning the device is tested and confirmed to play music/pictures/video from Windows Media Connect (which is the component in Windows Media Player that allows for media sharing)

The AVR-4308 is "PlaysForSure Audio" certified, so only music is certain to work 100%.

Twonky uses UPnP to do the sharing, and while the AVR-4308 is supposed to be DLNA certified, there are still some issues here.

Rigit - thanks for the explaination. I did the firmware update today with the hope that it would fix this issue and it did not. I installed windows media player and it will display the pictures but WMP is a resource hog and I uninstalled, so I guess I will have to wait for either a firmware update or a newer release of Twonky (I am running the Beta).

Rigwit

Post by Rigwit » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:51 am

At least you got the firmware update done ;)

Mine crashes at update 13/14 with an "updating failed" message. From what I've read, that means it can't do any firmware upgrades in the future, and I have to take the receiver back to the store and they'll send it back to Denon for repairs, or I get a new one. Still waiting to hear back from the store to say what they have to say.

I also have some issues with streaming in that the 4308 will just stop playing the files at random times. Sometimes after only 10 seconds into a song, other times it'll play 4-5 whole songs before stopping. Haven't heard any other reports of this problem, so I've probably got a bad one :/

franztini

Post by franztini » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:54 pm

Rigwit wrote:At least you got the firmware update done ;)

Mine crashes at update 13/14 with an "updating failed" message. From what I've read, that means it can't do any firmware upgrades in the future, and I have to take the receiver back to the store and they'll send it back to Denon for repairs, or I get a new one. Still waiting to hear back from the store to say what they have to say.

I also have some issues with streaming in that the 4308 will just stop playing the files at random times. Sometimes after only 10 seconds into a song, other times it'll play 4-5 whole songs before stopping. Haven't heard any other reports of this problem, so I've probably got a bad one :/
Eek - how horrible. I haven't had any issues with Twonky and streaming so it does sound like you got a bad unit. At the prices point of the 4308 I would demand a new one because these kind of tecn problems are never 'fixed'. I know it is a pain to have to unhook and swap out but I heard of the same issues with the firm ware update (on AVS forum) and after they swapped to a new unit the firmware update went fine and a lot of other problems 'went away'. Good luck!

doubrown

Post by doubrown » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:00 pm

I have the same issue. The Denon will display pictures in the Music Server menu when using Windows Media Player or J River Media Center as dlna / uPnP servers. The Denon will also serve pictures over USB. I am running the latest firmware and have submitted this issue to Denon technical support.

Another problem I noticed is the inability to use the "random" or "repeat" functions when serving media using Twonky.

Rigwit

Post by Rigwit » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:20 pm

I believe the random and repeat functions only work with USB devices. It's a known limitation, but whether it's on purpose or not, I don't know. Whether there'll be a fix for it I don't know either. Denon isn't all too talkative about upcoming features and/or fixes ;)