Streaming to PS3 from Linux (ubuntu)

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
NickF
Streaming to PS3 from Linux (ubuntu)

Post by NickF » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:40 pm

Hi there, just wanted to ask a quick question. I'm thinking about buying a PS3 but the main reason would buy one would be to use it as a media centre.

Can someone confirm that by installing MediaServer on my Linux machine a PS3 would be able to see all my video files and play them through a wired connection. Is there any restrictions on what time of files are supported?

Thanks for the help and I'm sorry if this question has already been asked :)

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:05 am

It should work (will confirm tonight, as I have not previously want Twonkyvision as a server on my PS3, I use my PS3 as a client). Do you know if you plan on using 64bit or 32bit Linux userland?

File typewise, it depends on what your client supports really.

Usually TV supports (amongst others, I sure I will forget)

H.264/AVC Video
MPEG1 Video
MPEG2 Video
WMA Audio (non DRM)
MP3 Audio
AAC Audio (non DRM)
BMP Pictures
JPG Pictures
GIF Pictures
TIF Pictures

Chistian, can you confirm this list is correct for supported content server-end. (I can't recall if WMV is supported...)
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

sjm

Post by sjm » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:43 pm

I dont think he wants to install Linux on the PS3. I think he wants a standard Linux Twonky server and a PS3 client. I tried WMV once and it did not work.

NickF

Post by NickF » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:12 pm

I don't mind installing linux on the PS3 if it helps :)

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client

Post by mgillespie » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:53 pm

You need to decide WHERE you want to store your music.

Personally, the PS3 makes a MUCH better music client (i.e playing back music/video/photos) than it does a server (which is a waste of a PS3).

The PS3 has UPnP client sofware built into the XMB.
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

sjm

Post by sjm » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:28 am

Unless you are really adventurous, I would just stick to running the Twonky server on a separate Linux machine and keep the PS3 as a client. In theory, you could install Linux as an OS on the PS3 and it could be both the server and the client, but I think it would be more trouble than it is worth.

mgillespie
2x Noxon V2 audio client

Post by mgillespie » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:22 am

sjm wrote:In theory, you could install Linux as an OS on the PS3 and it could be both the server and the client, but I think it would be more trouble than it is worth.
Yep, agreed, Any old PC would make a fine Linux based Twonky server, and leave the PS3 to be a great client.