PS3 Firmware 2.0 update broke streaming MP4s / MV4s

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
Canoehead
PS3 Firmware 2.0 update broke streaming MP4s / MV4s

Post by Canoehead » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:19 pm

Last night the PS3 firmware was updated to 2.0, and this seems to have caused problems with streaming certain files from DLNA servers like Twonky. I am running Twonky on both my PC and a Thecus 5200Pro NAS. In both cases I can see all the folders and files, but when I select a MP4 or MV4 with a runtime in excess of 1 hour, the PS3 shows "corrupted data" - all these files played 100% fine yesterday.

This firmware update apparently allowed the PS3 to play 5.1 audio from MPG2/VOB files, which is good, but there was some collateral damage. The link below is to the PS forum thread on the problem

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playsta ... d.id=71191

I am pretty sure this is Sony's fault, but I suspect at least party of the fix will have to come from the media streamers. Below is a thread from another streamer with the same problem.

http://forums.tversity.com/viewtopic.php?t=7913

UPDTATE:

Apparently Tversity has some sort of a patch - might be usefull as a guide on how to approach the problem
http://forums.tversity.com/viewtopic.ph ... 148be92089

Other references to this problem:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthre ... 850&page=3

I apologize for not being able to post more technical data, but I had to leave home and head for work and wanted to get this up as soon as possible.
Last edited by Canoehead on Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Caoimhghin

Post by Caoimhghin » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:36 pm

I can confirm this is a problem with NAS drives with Twonky installed as well, see my post in the NAS section:

http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4211

Likewise, there was no problem prior to v2.0 of the PS3 firmware being installed and it only appears to affect AVC files.

I actually phoned Sony (EU) who said they were aware of the problem and hopefully there should be a fix out 'shortly'. I wonder who does their software testing prior to it being released to the unwashed masses, if I was this sloppy in my job I wouldn't be employed very long!

Canoehead

Post by Canoehead » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:59 pm

Can someone official from Twonly say if there has been any progress on this - I'd like to know that someone is at least looking at it. I've done some more playing around and the key thing seems to the length of the AVC file - anything under an hour is perfectly fine, anything over shows up as "currupted data".

Caoimhghin

Post by Caoimhghin » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:52 pm

Canoehead wrote:Can someone official from Twonly say if there has been any progress on this - I'd like to know that someone is at least looking at it. I've done some more playing around and the key thing seems to the length of the AVC file - anything under an hour is perfectly fine, anything over shows up as "currupted data".
From my 'testing' the problem seems to be with files that are >2GB. I have only 4 files that are >2GB and all return 'the data is corrupted' message, this is exactly the same message that used to be returned with AVC file >4GB in v1.93 PS3 firmware. I have successfully played 2 AVC files with play times >2hrs and they both completed with no problems. Other files, like some clips, which are probably no more than 3 or 4 minutes long play but with stuttering/Juddering in places.

Another point is with MPEG2 files, they only play for around 20 minutes. If you check the play time from the file list (green triangle) the correct play time is displayed. If you then play the file and then hit the select button, it will display a play time of around 20 minutes and that's all it will play for.

It is obviously some incompatibility with what Sony have done with network streaming in v2.0 and TwonkyMedia, maybe some handshaking issue, as these same files when transferred to a USB HDD will play.

ribs

Post by ribs » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:07 am

Hi,

I also have a problem streaming media to the PS3 after the firmware update to version 2.0.

I stream MPEG2/VOB files ripped from my DVD's from Twonky on Linux to my PS3.

After the firmware update all films now stop around about half way through. Whilst playing a film if I hit the select button on the controller the time shows as 41 mins remaining (and it stops there) even though the list shows the films length is 1 hr 42 mins.

This is the same for all films and I suspect Caoimhghin hit the nail on the head suggesting a 2GB file limit.

I called Sony about this problem and they said that it couldn't possibly have been caused by the firmware update as nothing was changed in the media server connections. This is bull as I know for a fact it worked perfectly before.

So unless the Twonky developers have something up their sleeves I'm stuck watching half a film until Sony sort the problem.

Canoehead

Post by Canoehead » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:13 am

I hate to wear a tin hat, but do you think that this could have been deliberate on Sony's part as an anti-piracy measure? After rootkit, who knows.

Anyway, I have emailed Twonky support, got a form response but have not heard anything further. I would recommend that all email Sony on this - even if it was deliberate, they might be pressured into reversing it. If it was accidental, they need to be pressured to reverse it.

What is interesting is that it is all yes / no for AVCs - they either work or they don't based on size. I have also been playing with Tversity (not as good for me because I cannot put it on my NAS) and there even the short AVCs play all messed up, with stuttering etc, and the bigger ones will load but you don't get video.

The Sony CSR I talked had no idea what I was talking about.

Today kotaku.com had a thread on problems with Firmware 2.00 - I would also encourage folks to post on this - it's likely that SCEA monitors major gaming forums.

ribs

Post by ribs » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:02 pm

I've just installed the new 2.01 firmware on my PS3 and I'm very pleased to say that this has fixed my VOB/MPEG2 2GB stream problem that was introduced in the previous firmware update.

So although this problem has never been mentioned in any of the change logs it appears whatever thay did to break it they have now fixed.

sean0connor

Post by sean0connor » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:57 pm

Excellent news, I too have just installed 2.01 firware and it does now stream large VOB/MPEG2 in 5.1 Audio.

Canoehead

Post by Canoehead » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:18 am

sean0connor wrote:Excellent news, I too have just installed 2.01 firware and it does now stream large VOB/MPEG2 in 5.1 Audio.
Yup - 2.01 has fixed it. Thanks to Twonky for all their help and support - of wait they didn't do anything.

Caoimhghin

Post by Caoimhghin » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:52 pm

It appears with the v2.01 update that the problems with 'large' files has now been rectified as all my MPEG2-HD files now show the correct play time, although I haven't tried playing any yet. Also the AVC files that showed 'the data is corrupted message' appear to be OK now, again haven't tried playing them all the way through.

The only problem I still notice is that some AVC files still stutter as before. An example is a HD clip I downloaded from the Apple site from the BBC nature series, which was a transparent transcode from a .mov to .mp4. This played fine with v1.93 but still stutters in the same places with 2.01. I haven't had time to play any others that displayed similar problems yet, but it appears they haven't rectified everything.

It does look like the fault is entirely with Sony on the media streaming front, but I agree it would have been nice if Twonky at least remarked on the problems. It makes you wonder if there is any liaison between the Sony and TwonkyMedia development teams when situations like this occur. I guess that would be too easy to ask!

sean0connor

Post by sean0connor » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:38 pm

Really pleased with the MPEG2 fix now. Now I have more time to play with other aspects :-).

Does anyone know if there is a way in Twonky to tag the VOB files like giving them an XML details file to enalbe searching by anything other that the File Name?

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:39 pm

Canoehead wrote:
sean0connor wrote:Excellent news, I too have just installed 2.01 firware and it does now stream large VOB/MPEG2 in 5.1 Audio.
Yup - 2.01 has fixed it. Thanks to Twonky for all their help and support - of wait they didn't do anything.
Errm, because they didn't break anything...

I havn't heard from Ford, because my Honda motorcycle needs a new chain...
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

rloteck

Post by rloteck » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:04 pm

I am still having the same problems after upgrading to 2.01. What information can I provided to troubleshoot the issue?

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client

Post by mgillespie » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:39 pm

rloteck wrote:I am still having the same problems after upgrading to 2.01. What information can I provided to troubleshoot the issue?
http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3922
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

rloteck

Post by rloteck » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:31 pm

TwonkyMedia version : 4.4.2

Operating System Ubuntu Linux (Linux linux-x2 2.6.22-14-server #1 SMP Sun Oct 14 22:09:15 GMT 2007 x86_64 GNU/Linux)

Client(s) and their software version PS3 Fireware version 2.01

Type(s) of media you are having problems with MPEG-2

How many files you have in your database 30

Network type (Wired/Wireless) Wireless.

I tried rebuilding the database, but I am still having the same problems. It seems to work fine for about 3 to 5 min's then, it stalls, and the PS3 locks up. The only way to fix the problem is to power down, and power up the PS3.

Any direction would be great.

Thanks,

Rafael

mgillespie
2x Noxon V2 audio client

Post by mgillespie » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:03 pm

Video over wireless is always going to be flakey, due to limited bandwidth and connection fluctuations.

Have you tried a wired connection? Does it work correctly?