no rescan at system startup

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
muller2
no rescan at system startup

Post by muller2 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:38 pm

Hi,
since I don't like my server running through all day long. I restart it quite frequently. However my music database doesn't change that frequently. So, my question is, if I can somehow omit the rescan of my music folders at each startup, which takes quite a long time. I just would like the server to take the already scanned database.
I tried to solve that using a windows batch file, by saving and copying the db files after having started the server.
Does anybody know a solution?
thanks

martin

wideasleep1

Post by wideasleep1 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:17 pm

Did you try rescan interval set to 0 in the config file?

muller2

Post by muller2 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:57 pm

yes I did. Then it doesn't rescan while running but still at startup. So, no change :(

mgums

Post by mgums » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:12 pm

I have exactly the same question/request: not to do a startup scan but just use the existing database.
Reason for me is that all music is stored on a NAS drive and it takes a while before Twonky (on a laptop) has scanned that drive. Meanwhile my Philips SLA5520 devices can't find the songs I want to hear yet.
I searched for interesting setting in the Twonky inifile but so far withou luck.

gmar234
AV Hardware:TEAC WAP 5000, Asus WL700g

Re: no rescan at system startup

Post by gmar234 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:01 am

Installed 5.0.46 at NAS Asus WL700g. My environment shows the same: NAS is down during night and restarted every morning, whereas media library changes rarely. So I would appreciate a way to tell TwonkyMedia daemon to skip rescan at startup (scantime=0 is no help at this).

As this topic is more than 1 year old: any solution found/introduced in the meantime?

Briain
AV Hardware:Linn Klimax DS
Linn Majik DS-I
Linn Sneaky DS
WDTV Live Hib
Sonos 80

Post by Briain » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:32 am

Hi

I've just noticed this chain. I've used all versions from TMS 4.4.4 to TMS 4.4.11 on ReadyNAS NV+ and Duo's. I've never had TMS4 rescan on restart, but when trialing TMS 5, I noticed that it does do this. I did mention it in my list of issues with TMS 5 as with a big library of FLAC files (mine is over 15000) it slows the NAS down for quite some time after a reboot.

I just thought I'd post this to add one more to the list of people wishing this changed as it is quite an irritating bug. Even if you make a change to a setting in TMS5 which requires a Twonky restart (as opposed to a NAS restart), it still rescans the entire library.

Not sure why there are posts from 1 year ago mentioning this; that implies people have had this happening with TMS 4, but I certainly haven't seen this happen with TMS 4.

Bri

Schlitz

Post by Schlitz » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:16 pm

I have the same problem with Twonky Media Server 5.
Isn't there a solution for this issue ?

bump
AV Hardware:NA

Post by bump » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:35 am

This can only be fixed by the Twonky people releasing a new verison of Twonkyserver hopefully soon. This is not the only significant bug this version has!

Briain
Linn Majik DS-I
Linn Sneaky DS
WDTV Live Hib
Sonos 80

Post by Briain » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:39 pm

Hi

Please add me to the list of no boot-scan requesters . I'm running it on an NV+ and a Duo; the NV+ stays on all the time (but the rescan is only a few minutes anyway so it's not a big issue) but the Duo takes for ever to rescan. In my case, it's a test NAS so not important, however, if I had it as my main NAS and powered it down every night, this would drive me nuts as it completely disables the NAS until it has finished.

If this really must be kept, it needs to have some sort of resource limitation to enable other things (like accessing the mapped drive) to still work. As people are saying though, it would be far better to have the option to disable this facility (or maybe even drop it altogether).

NB I know a PC would handle the rescan much faster, but anything that slows the booting of a PC is also a nuisance. If you had a large library, it would still take a noticeable time to do its boot scan and this simply must slow things down. If you needed to do something in a hurry (like boot it up and open Outlook to view an urgent email) any delay to this process could be irritating to users.

Bri

bump
AV Hardware:NA

Post by bump » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:18 pm

I would'nt see a reason why Twonky should not give us the option to turn this rescan off.

Much more important would be that Twonky picks up new albums if you initiate a manual rescan.

i have tested this now on several occasions, adding 2-3 albums at a time and they did not get picked up despite several rescan-attempts,..

So the funny thing here seems to be that if you dont want to rescan, it does rescan. If you want it to scan manually, it dosnt do a thing... Strange behaviour :roll:
Last edited by bump on Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flynn

Post by flynn » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:37 pm

+1

With a large library, this scan takes a long time and is resource intensive. I believe the default should be reverted back to the 4.x behavior: no scan on startup.
TMS 5.0.55 @ Thecus N5200BR PRO v2.0.15
PS3 2.70, SB Duet, HR23-700

Schlitz

Post by Schlitz » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:20 pm

so what does a guy from Twonkly say to this issue ?
Anybody< who read this ?

Briain
Linn Majik DS-I
Linn Sneaky DS
WDTV Live Hib
Sonos 80

Post by Briain » Tue May 12, 2009 5:05 pm

Hi

I found that for 15,000 FLAC files, the start-up rescan (after the boot up) took about 3 minutes on my ReadyNAS NV+ and well over 15 minutes on my ReadyNAS Duo (I have the Duo for testing things like new music trees etc). The NV+ had 1GB memory and the Duo 250MB memory, so just to prove that it was just the additional memory that was making the difference, I've also upgraded the Duo to 1GB and now the start-up rescan now only takes 5 minutes. It's a lot better but still means that including the NAS booting up, you've a total of 8 minutes between powering up the Duo and it being available for use; much better than the original 18+ minutes though!

The story here is that if you're using Twonky 5.0.55 on a NAS, upgrade to 1GB of memory as it'll make the start up rescan issue much less of a nuisance.

Bri

:)

Update: After a couple of boots (and rescans) the Duo now takes even less time to rescan; it's now just as quick as the NV+