Flac Files/MPEG4 and the PS3

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
rosscouk
Flac Files/MPEG4 and the PS3

Post by rosscouk » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:11 pm

Hi there,

I have a new QNAP 201 server with Twonky Media on it. Its taken me a while to set-up and get all my files onto the server. I have my pc and my ps3 aswell as the server all hard wired to the router.

Alot of my files, music specifically, are encoded in FLAC and the PS3 shows the flac files as unsupported data.

Is there anyway around this? Can I play Flac or for that matter Apple Lossless Audio Codec (ALAC) files on my ps3 using twonky on my server?

Thanks.
Last edited by rosscouk on Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

rosscouk

Post by rosscouk » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:14 am

I have my music stored mostly in flac, although I was having some problems recently and was thinking of getting an ipod, so I ripped alot of music to ALAC which stores the music as *.m4a files (might be mpeg 4).

I gather that the playstation 3 codec will actually play these files, and it may be an issue with twonky that will be fixed in an upcoming update, is this correct? How long might that update be in coming?

Also, as I have a QNAP NAS, would their firmware need to be updated or anything for the files to play?

Finally, as Twonky is pre-installed on the QNAP, how do I go about updating it?

Thanks.

rosscouk

Post by rosscouk » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:11 pm

Anyone?

calviny

Post by calviny » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:12 am

I want to know the answer too. Anyone help?

rosscouk

Post by rosscouk » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:27 am

Can anyone from Twonky comment please? Thanks.

Caoimhghin

Post by Caoimhghin » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:35 pm

rosscouk wrote:I have my music stored mostly in flac, although I was having some problems recently and was thinking of getting an ipod, so I ripped alot of music to ALAC which stores the music as *.m4a files (might be mpeg 4).

I gather that the playstation 3 codec will actually play these files, and it may be an issue with twonky that will be fixed in an upcoming update, is this correct? How long might that update be in coming?

Also, as I have a QNAP NAS, would their firmware need to be updated or anything for the files to play?

Finally, as Twonky is pre-installed on the QNAP, how do I go about updating it?

Thanks.
I don't work for Twonky, but using a little searching:

AAC support was added in 4.4.3 beta/rcs, I don't know if that includes lossless though. I doubt this will be released by QNAP until such time as it becomes official. If you email QNAP they may send you the beta/rc version in a format to install on your NAS, you could but try!

QNAP should release the update with their firmware updates. Their latest version includes Twonky 4.4.2.

You should be able to get the latest firmware from QNAP support/downloads pages.

rosscouk

Post by rosscouk » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:04 pm

Hi Caoimhghin,

Good to see you around again. Right I have taken your advice and PM'd one of the mods on Qnap's site.

Lets see what they come back with.

So close to getting all my stuff to work and yet so far......