Possible Memory Leak

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
doubrown
Possible Memory Leak

Post by doubrown » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:46 pm

I've been using Twonky Media Server for two years. Over the past few months I noticed that the performance of my Windows XP machine has become very poor. I finally got around to looking into the problem and it appears that Twonky Media Server is consuming huge amounts of memory, forcing the system into continous page file swaps to the hard drive. The problem goes away if I shut down Twonky Media Server. I am currently running version 4.3.3. Downgrading to a previous version does not solve the problem. I have also tried completely uninstalling Twonky Media Server, and deleting all of the files in the \Documents and
Settings\...\Application Data\TwonkyMedia directory, and then reinstalling.

Task Manager shows low available physical memory and high swap file usage. The swap file usage declines when Twonky Media Server shuts down and increase when it is started back up.

As per the suggestion of another thread, I am using simple navigation. My library is not all that big (6,000 music files being shared).

Any suggestions of what to try?

doubrown

Post by doubrown » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:41 am

OK I've got some more info. I turned on all logging. I don't see anything that indicates a problem other than it takes a very long time to scan the contents in the directory. I let Twonky run uniteruppted and it took almost 4 days to add the 6,000 songs in my content directory.

I also tried the new 4.4.4 beta and did not notice any difference.

wideasleep1

Post by wideasleep1 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:26 am

doubrown wrote:OK I've got some more info. I turned on all logging. I don't see anything that indicates a problem other than it takes a very long time to scan the contents in the directory. I let Twonky run uniteruppted and it took almost 4 days to add the 6,000 songs in my content directory.

I also tried the new 4.4.4 beta and did not notice any difference.
Either the filescanner is broken in this release, or you have a corrupt install. I'd use the uninstaller, and start from scratch.

doubrown

Post by doubrown » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:03 am

I already tried uninstall and then reinstall. The problem has been occuring for at least a couple of releases now.

doubrown

Post by doubrown » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:19 pm

Besides doing an uninstall and deleting the Documents and
Settings\...\Application Data\TwonkyMedia directory, what else do I need to do to completely remove Twonky?

I added another 3GB of RAM to my system with no success. Within minutes of starting the TwonyMediaServer, all of the memory is consumed and the system bogs down in page file swaps.

I also tried installing Twonky on my WinXP laptop with the exact same media file content. In this case, Twonky runs perfectly. This leads me to believe that either something is corrupt on my desktop and uninstallig/reinstalling does not fix it, or some other system setting or application installed is causing an unfavorable interaction with Twonky.

doubrown

Post by doubrown » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:24 pm

I found the problem! If I remove all of the ogg files from the content directory (it also has flac, mp3 and wma files), there is no memoery leak. I haven't added any ogg files to my library in over 2 years and used to only serve ogg files using Twonky. Therefore, something must have broken in one of the releases from the past 6 months or so.