A few questions before I buy!

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
Darth Maniac
A few questions before I buy!

Post by Darth Maniac » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:47 am

Thankyou very much for what appears to be a great bit of software - After trying Nero and WM11 for streaming to my PS3 this is the only thing I have found so far that seems any good!!!

I am using the 30 day trial - A few questions before I buy:

1) Are all minor updates free? Eg; If I want to go from 4.3 to 4.4 is that free? I know you pay for new versions but I just want to check about whether you have to pay for minor bug fixes etc..

2) There seems to be a problem with SOME of my music files not displaying album art on the PS3. Reading the forums it looks like this is a known issue and a fix is on the way - is this true?

3) Also - another thing I kind of think that I read someone say was that video files are also supposed to show thumbnail images - this doesnt seem to work on my PS3 - is this a known issue or does this program not do that? If it is a known issue then is a fix on the way?

For info - I am running a P4 2.8Ghz, 1 gig ram and Windows XP.

Anyway - thanks once again for this software - its brilliant!! Any answers you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Toxic

Post by Toxic » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:38 pm

Updates are free, the payment is for the key registration.

there have been a number of releases that have brought more bugs into the equation, I myself had reported about the scanning problems with the new features but these were ignored for some time. lately they have been fixing bugs (instead of adding more features) but their methods are somewhat strange. ALL Release candiate versions were buggy as hell. even the official 4.4.3 was useless and they ended up bring out a 4.4.3.1 version within a day.

I hope they learn from their lessons than when you introduce a bug you fix it before bringing in more features and dont rush everything out before properly testing the beta and rc versions.

in all however the 4.4.2 version of twonky is very stable and for the price the payment wont break the bank.
Regards Simon
http://www.linksysinfo.org
Synology CS-407 Firmware: 2.0 - 0726 : Drives: 4 x Samsung HD501LJ SATA II 500GB RAID5 : Xbox360

Darth Maniac

Post by Darth Maniac » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:47 pm

Thanks for that - as long as I get the minor updates free then thats cool.

Anyone got an answer to the last 2 questions?

cbhwr

Re: A few questions before I buy!

Post by cbhwr » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:13 pm

Darth Maniac wrote:For info - I am running a P4 2.8Ghz, 1 gig ram and Windows XP.
For streaming media to a PS3 (and other machines..) I would suggest that you at least contemplate putting Twonky and your media on a smaller machine, consuming less power than a full-fledged computer. :)

/G

Darth Maniac

Post by Darth Maniac » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:00 am

Like what mate :shock:

GregiBoy
AV Hardware:Zensonic Z500 x 2, Ziova CS-505, D-Link DSM-320, iPaq RX3715, TwonkyVision 4.4.3 Windows XP, TVersity

Post by GregiBoy » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:54 am

Darth Maniac wrote:Like what mate :shock:
A small NAS is usually a good choice. I am just lookin at the Linksys NAS200 which comes with Twonky installed.

You then don't have to leave your computer on either.

cbhwr

Post by cbhwr » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:51 am

GregiBoy wrote:
Darth Maniac wrote:Like what mate :shock:
A small NAS is usually a good choice. I am just lookin at the Linksys NAS200 which comes with Twonky installed.

You then don't have to leave your computer on either.
Precisely - I use an IOMega StorCenter, which is basically a harddrive with a network-plug. In the case of IOMega, I suggest steering clear of them, because they are crap, but there are a lot of other manufactures who produce good ones. Look especially for things with Twonky preinstalled (Linky: http://www.twonkymedia.com/Products/Two ... -installed ), or stuff with good reviews and low power-usage. QNAP, Infrant and Intradisk are on my short-list for an update when I get the "time".
For a small, silent, single-disk solution, the QNAP TS-109 (randomly chosen), claims 6.6W sleeping and 14.7W in operation. That is probably going to save you €100 or more a year compared to PC based solutions, and make your home a little bit more quiet.

/G

k1200rs
AV Hardware:Does no longer attend this forum.

Post by k1200rs » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:04 pm

I am also very interested by the NAS200.
Would be great to get a feedback from an owner.
I never streamed video so far (despite the fact that I was an early adopter of Twonky :oops: ) but I might do in the future, in that case, dont we need to have a server supporting Gigabit Ethernet (NAS200 is not)?