Ubuntu installation with PS3 client constantly disconnects

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
Sined
Ubuntu installation with PS3 client constantly disconnects

Post by Sined » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:54 pm

Hi,

I have the following configuration:
TwonkyMedia version: 4.4.3
Operating System: Linux Ubuntu Server 6.06 LTS
Client(s) and their software version:
- PS3 with latest firmware
- Kodak EasyShare EX1011
Type(s) of media you are having problems with:
- I notice the disconnect on all type of media: video, picture, music
- How many files you have in your database
Songs: 5619
Pictures: 22029
Vidéos: 143
Network type (Wired/Wireless)
Wired Gigabit

This is the problem explained:
When on my PS3, it finds the Twonky server as media server. But regurlarly, every 30 sec. a message on the dashboard of the PS3 mentions that the server was disconnected. Then it reconnects.
When I try to browse the pictures or whatever else, I see the directory structure, I can browse through. Sometime I can even see the first picture then the connection with the server is reset.
With the picture frame I would say the symptoms are the same. The connection is reset after the first picture displayed.

Could you please help me, I have bought a licence because I thought it would be easier to build the media server. But for the moment, it is useless.

I have the log file that I can send to you.

For your information, this server is running VMWare and as such is hosting virtual Nics. I don't know if this could be an issue.

Thank you for your feedback.

Sined

swordcast

Post by swordcast » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:31 pm

What do the log files say? Check your daemon log file in /var/log and see if the twonkymedia keeps restarting.

I'm running Ubuntu 6.06 Server with my Xbox 360 and it's running perfectly. However, I don't have any alias' on my NIC's.

The 30seconds might be the buffer window that the server provides, then disconnects. Do you have your firewall turned on for your internal network?

kxmas

Post by kxmas » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:00 am

VMWare is definitely messing you up. I had the the same problem.

To solve, you need to have twonky only bind to the real network interface, i.e. eth0. Just type in the IP address of your physical card on the Network page in the Advance Settings section.