Twonky / PS3 combo not DLNA compliant?

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.
Twonky / PS3 combo not DLNA compliant?

Post by mgillespie » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:11 pm

Notice that the PS3 displays everything with an * at the end? It's because the PS3 thinks that Twonky is not serving content in a DLNA compliant fashion apparently..
File names for data that is stored on servers that are not compliant with DLNA may have an asterisk appended to the file name. In some cases, these files cannot be played on the PS3™ system. Also, even if the files can be played on the PS3™ system, it might not be possible to play the files on other devices.
http://manuals.playstation.net/document ... tdlna.html

Can we get PS3 DLNA complaince in TwonkyMedia? There is not quite a large userbase of PS3 owners using TwonkyMedia..
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

Caoimhghin

Post by Caoimhghin » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:47 pm

Personally, I think it's the PS3 which is not compliant with the DLNA specification. I've had the same NAS drive connected to a couple of other DLNA clients and never had any problem displaying the name from ID3 tags or with playback of various formats.

I've noticed with the last two PS3 firmware updates that it has 'broken' various media playback, take WMA for instance, with the latest update it will drop the connection during playback and this can be measured by the bit rate of the file. A 128Kbps file will play for 44 seconds then stop, the lower the bit rate the longer the file will play, the higher the bit rate the less the file will play.

However, some do play so it's not a consistent problem. All these files played fine before the update.

It's a pity the DLNA website does not have a specification so that we can look to see where the compliance, or lack of, is. They don't even list the DLNA error codes.

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:38 pm

Caoimhghin wrote:Personally, I think it's the PS3 which is not compliant with the DLNA specification.
I think not...

PS3 DLNA Compliance Certificate
http://certification.dlna.org/certs/REG05758621.pdf

TwonkyMedia DLNA Compliance Certificate
http://certification.dlna.org/certs/REG05402008.pdf
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

Caoimhghin

Post by Caoimhghin » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:22 pm

That's interesting, if both are compliant then why is this problem happening?

According to both certifications there is no apparent requirement for support of WMA, WMV or MP4. Isn't that a bit limiting, is it inferring that there is no standardisation for these formats or that these formats are not certified by DLNA?

Funny that these are the formats that currently are causing the problems with Twonky and PS3.

As a matter of interest, anyone know what the 'DLNA compliant' file name structure is? All my file names have an asterix appended at the end of the name (ID3 tag), but doesn't seen to affect the playback.