new user has two problems

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
pbuechel
AV Hardware:PS3
new user has two problems

Post by pbuechel » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:07 pm

hi everybody,

I'm new to Twonky and have two problems after playing around for a week. I use Twonky as a service on Windows 2003 Server with sp2.

- why are the database and settings for Twonky in the user-profile of the user who has installed Twonky ???? That seems very strange. Is there a way to move that ?

- Also it seems not possible to use shares of other servers as a source for Twonky. E.g. I run Twonky on SRV1 and have a share like \\SRV2\MUSIC on SRV2. I can configure Twonky to use that share but it doesn't.

Are there Solutions for these problems ?

Thanks in advance

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Re: new user has two problems

Post by mgillespie » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:01 pm

You cannot use shares, because you are doubling the bandwidth and network latency, streaming the file in, and then back out again.

Try installing the server as a system service, the DB may appear under the system account. I don't run Twonky on Windows, so I can't help too much. I use the Linux version.
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

pbuechel
AV Hardware:PS3

Post by pbuechel » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:41 pm

that's not a problem with Gigabit and buffers, and of course my network topology should not be in the focus of Twonky. But have a look at Tversity, there it runs.

The server runs as system service

kosh66

Post by kosh66 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:29 pm

pbuechel wrote:that's not a problem with Gigabit and buffers, and of course my network topology should not be in the focus of Twonky. But have a look at Tversity, there it runs.

The server runs as system service

Hi,

you have to run the service with a user account, use unc-paths instead of shares. The user must have the privilege to read the unc paths where your data is.

cu

Kosh66