How Do I connect from a remote location?

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
gman
AV Hardware:Harmon Kardon receiver, PS3, wireless router
How Do I connect from a remote location?

Post by gman » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:07 pm

How do I connect when I am not on my LAN at home? I'd like to connect to my server from a remote location via Internet to be able to listen to my music from a location outside of my LAN.

HornedBeast
AV Hardware:XBOX 360
Linksys Router
Linux, Ubuntu Server 8.04.

Re: How Do I connect from a remote location?

Post by HornedBeast » Thu May 01, 2008 4:59 pm

If you forward port 9000 on your router to the IP of the computer that is running TwonkyMedia, you can then type the External IP address of your computer at home (Which can be found from http://whatsmyip.org) and do everything you could on a LAN. However, I advise that you give your TwonkyMedia a password from the setup menu to stop people coming in and downloading all of your media. Also, I imagine it doesn't make your computer very secure opening up a port like that.

But thats how to do it if you dare!

HornedBeast

Boogieman117
AV Hardware:Twonky is running on a white-box P4 2.53GHz with 2GB of 400MHz RAM
Within my home network, I stream to my laptops/desktops/PS3(60gb)
Outside of my home network, I stream to my work computer. Hoping to stream to my cell phone one day.

Playing with the trial, loving it!

Post by Boogieman117 » Thu May 08, 2008 5:31 pm

I'm having the same problem as the original poster, but as you can see from the screenshot, I think my problem is somewhere else:

Any advice?

_hendrik

Post by _hendrik » Wed May 14, 2008 3:47 pm

hi,

the standard port 9000 should not be used for port forwarding. you might try to set the variable "httpremoteport" in
the .ini file to a different port and do the forwarding on that port.. :-)

hope that helps.
-hendrik

robmatic
AV Hardware:Roku
Ziova

Post by robmatic » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:29 pm

Boogieman117 wrote:I'm having the same problem as the original poster, but as you can see from the screenshot, I think my problem is somewhere else:

Any advice?

The 192.* address is a private network address which comes from your router. You cannot use the 192 address outside of your private network. The way to do this is to program your router to forward port 9000 to your server. Then when anyone surfs to your external IP address, port 9000, they'll get to your media server. As mentioned by somebody else, this is not a good idea unless you use some kind of better security.

Rob